Goal of the season contender thread, 2011/12

The_Rev

I assume this is the Crouch goal you're all on about.

That's the one. None of the gifs I've seen do it full justice, though, because they remove the first few seconds. For me it's all the more impressive because the ball doesn't touch the ground from the goal kick; Crouch heads it on to pennant, who heads it back, then you've got the lovely touch and the wondervolley.

Can't believe people are claiming Cisse's was luck, no way, he knew exactly what he was doing.
I would have my doubts over that strike were it not for the fact that Cisse has managed a couple of other sick, fluke-looking finishes this season (one against us). Time to start giving him the benefit of the doubt. Still, I reckon Crouch's was better, as I say.

Cisse's for me.

I've seen goals like Crouches before in English football, and i'll see them again.

I don't think i've ever seen a goal quite like Cisse's...

If anyone can provide footage of similar goals I may change my mind.

Crouch's is the better goal. The fact that Cisse's 'type' of goal is rarer has no real bearing on the technique (i.e. quality) of either of them IMHO.

Also Rooney's v City best goal of the PL era!? Not even Rooney's best goal in a United shirt! His goal against Newcastle! Arguing with the ref to cut off and blast home a fabulous goal. :lol:

Trevor Sinclair's bicycle kick for QPR was better (as my twitterati would have heard me say last night). But it wasn't in the last 10 years and it wasn't by someone at a top 4 club so it doesn't count to the vast majority of voters.

Zigactly. Rooney has scored some sensational goals, but how anyone can think its the best goal in 20 years of the Premier League is bizarre!

Exactly what I said TUS.

Rooney's volley vs NEwcastle was the better goal.

Both Henry's and Bergkamp's goal, and in fact that Le Tiss goal too, were better than Rooney's

Crouch's is the better goal. The fact that Cisse's 'type' of goal is rarer has no real bearing on the technique (i.e. quality) of either of them IMHO.

What defines a better goal though? Is it technique? Power? Placement? The build up towards it? Or is it simply which goal the viewer would rather watch?

'Cos if it's based on which goal I enjoy watching the most, it's definitely Cisse's. But for technique, it's probably Crouches.

Cisse's is more sensational, undoubtedly, because it is unexpected and looks better. But there is more an element of fluke to it than Crouchs too, so that must also be taken into account. As evidenced by the fact that Cisse was running back to the halfway line when he hit it because he expected nothing. He thrashed at it. He never expected it to go in. Crouch did precisely what he intended to do. Of course it's all subjective.

Â