Match Thread

wedge

Pre-season is a tricky time as it's about fitness and trying to gel new players, but it's also about confidence.. If you can build up a nice win streak in pre-season then team confidence is sky high. It's why McLeish probably isn't risking too much in defence right now as if we played say Lichaj, Collins, Clark and Warnock and then got smashed 7-0 then confidence would be shot.. Pre-season or not.

I would love to see McLeish play the same 4-2-3-1 he played against Walsall as we looked strong. I just want to know if it was a formation that worked or just that Walsall aren't that good.

Given.

Young, Collins, Dunne, Warnock.

Petrov, Makoun.

Albrighton, Ireland, Heskey.

Bent.

I think unfortunately for the likes of Delph and Agbonlahor I believe that will be our strongest 11 and our best formation this season.. We just replace Heskey with N'Zogbia when he arrives.

I'd go with...

Given

Young Collins Dunne Warnock

Albrighton Makoun Petrov Ireland/Bannan

Gabby Bent

It's a bit lopsided but I want to see Gabby playing alongside Bent as he always seems to give Chelsea problems. Also we're yet to try 4-4-2 this pre-season.

(presuming Ireland won't make it)

----------------Bent-------------------

----------Gabby---------------Heskey

Delph-----Makoun---Petrov----------

Warnock---Dunne---Collins---Young

----------------Given------------------

Can be changed into 4-4-3 with Gabby flanking it and Delph central but start Delph wide left but mainly coming inside, let Warnock overlap on the left. Heskey on the right because he works with A.Cole going forward and arielly, gives us an outlet over Ash Cole ....other players pick themselves.

With Ireland fit ....change Ireland for Gabby and Gabby for Heskey.

Young---Collins---Dunne---Warnock

---------Petrov----Makoun-----------

Albrighton------Ireland-------Gabby

----------------Bent-----------------

I think thats our best side. With Charles coming in for Super Marc.

Luke Youngs comments were interesting that over the years our side was too 'gung ho' and he liked against Blackburn we used two 'screeners' with Petrov and Makoun. We may not have a hard Roy Keane style player.. but these days if you have two runners who screen the back four and intecept passes and can hold onto possession.. they are just as good.

Ireland Gabby Bent and Charles are enough to damage sides in attack with the full backs chiming in.

Young---Collins---Dunne---Warnock

---------Petrov----Makoun-----------

Albrighton------Ireland-------Gabby

----------------Bent-----------------

I think thats our best side. With Charles coming in for Super Marc.

Luke Youngs comments were interesting that over the years our side was too 'gung ho' and he liked against Blackburn we used two 'screeners' with Petrov and Makoun. We may not have a hard Roy Keane style player.. but these days if you have two runners who screen the back four and intecept passes and can hold onto possession.. they are just as good.

Ireland Gabby Bent and Charles are enough to damage sides in attack with the full backs chiming in.

Fair enough, but you're being a bit hard on Albrighton incha?

I think Gabby should only be used as a sub in 4-5-1. His main attributes are pace and finishing (apart from one-on-ones!), so I'd say there's more to gain by giving Albrighton the experience on the wing. Gabby's future as a winger will be limited by the decline in his pace as he gets older, whereas Albrighton's crossing is a weapon plus he can score goals.

Yeah but i just dont think hes ready to be there full time yet. He made many mistakes last season.. and he made one bad mistake in the Blackburn game. I think he needs to bide his time.. its a squad rotation in the end. Gabby is feared by defenders.. and he looked sharp. I guess if its a 433 or a 451.. 3 strikers or 2 wingers and a striker.

At this stage Gabby for mine.

Team: Given, Young, Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Petrov, Delph, Albrighton, Ireland, Delfouneso, Agbonlahor. Subs: Guzan, Bent, Bannan, Makoun, Clark, Heskey, Beye, Lichaj, Herd, Marshall, Lowry, Gardner.

Nice rotation, will be good for Delfouneso to get some experience v good oppo.