Blackburn friendly match ratings (Merged)

brummybloke

incase no one else has done it here goes

given - 8 did everything well

collins- 9 for once timed it all pretty perfectly it worked good show

dunne- 8 solid and looks to try and pass it, should keep it on the ground more though

warnock - 8 solid and did well, a couple **** ups but far better than the crap he served us last season

young- 6 didnt seem in the game, he was hardly given the ball out wide either when our defence had it?

makoun -7 did well then went shit then did ok

petrov- 8 did well for his 65 minutes, odd he can do it in this heat and also runs out of steam in moddle of winter, i think his timer is set to 65 mins before he wears out in any condition.

bannan -5 disapointing, i expected alot and he made 1 decent pass which benty made a goal out of

heskey- 5 first half 7 second half, he is no wonger he was crap better up front

gabby -7 explosive first 30 mins then there was nothing? match fitness?

benty-8 he does what he does, missed a free header and had to come deep too often for my liking but he is the main man

subs

delph 8.5 looked the best midfielder today

alby 6 wanted him to ripped them apart, did nothing apart from 1 shot and a couple decent corners

fonz-3 lazy mother ****, did **** all and looked disinterested wouldnt chase wouldnt pass. very disapointed in him today.

clark 5 some awful back passes

cant recall anyone else

while a season friendly some players have shown they mean business while others seem lacklustre

dont like this reliance on hit and hope which i counted at least 25 times today, booooot from our defence ignoring our midfield. common sense would be to keep the ball and pass through the midfield on a hot day.

well done though

and just because some players get shit scores doesnt mean they are scape goats, that it is a dig at anyone or that the club should sack everyone , it is my honest view of todays game which was pre season friendly.

if someone plays shit then that is how it is rather than any excuses

We can have these for friendlies can't we?

Fairly encouraging performance in the circumstances. The kids were disappointing, but the defence was much improved. Lacked creativity but we have players to come in on that front. I still think we need to sign a midfielder (plus N'Zogbia) at a minimum. A defender too, particularly if Cuellar is off.

Given - 7

Young - 6

Collins - 8

Dunne - 6

Warnock - 7

Bannan - 6

Makoun - 6

Petrov - 7

Heskey - 4

Gabby - 7

Bent - 7

Subs:

Delfouneso - 5

Delph - 6

Albrighton - 3

Clark - 3

We can have these for friendlies can't we?

Fairly encouraging performance in the circumstances. The kids were disappointing, but the defence was much improved. Lacked creativity but we have players to come in on that front. I still think we need to sign a midfielder (plus N'Zogbia) at a minimum. A defender too, particularly if Cuellar is off.

Given - 7

Young - 6

Collins - 8

Dunne - 6

Warnock - 7

Bannan - 6

Makoun - 6

Petrov - 7

Heskey - 4

Gabby - 7

Bent - 7

Subs:

Delfouneso - 5

Delph - 6

Albrighton - 3

Clark - 3

Bit harsh on Heskey. He worked his ass off in difficult conditions, did some good defending once or twice and caused blackburn a couple of problems. No less than a 6 for me. Would probably agree with the others though.

I'd be worried if I were a Blackburn fan, they were woeful!

Our senior players were great in this one. Good to see the defence back again.

The youngsters were poor though

If Clark is going to be our back up defensive mid to Petrov I think we will struggle.

We're in the final! Woohooo.... haha.

Seriously though, we deserved the win and a could have (should have) added more goals - but huge credit goes to Shay Given for an incredible save to prevent an equalizer from Brett Emerton!

A very competitive 'friendly' which both sets of players did very well under the extreme hot conditions.

Subs made were Albrighton, Delfoneso and Delph for Pets, Agbonlahor and Makoun.

Thought Makoun looked sloppy in first half and Delph looked alot better on the ball - Makoun was guilty of giving it away quite a few times and didn't look as calm on the ball as Id want. Very committed performance s from (MOTM) Collins, Dunne, L.Young (love this guy so much!) and Warnock. Delph too showed great desire with his tackles.

Albrighton looked lively-ish but I felt Bannan looked better (both played on the right) and 'Alby' showed, as he did a few times last season that he is still somewhat immature by playing through their striker which, save for a challenge by Collins could have cost us dearly. In the Prem with sharper strikers (it is pre-season afterall) we would have been punished...unless it was Mario 'ill backheel it 'cos im cool' Ballotelli.

Overall we looked solid at the back and a clean sheet is always a brucie bonus. The commentators (Tyler and Dion Dublin) mentioned again how they observed AM spending time alone with our CB's to deal with crosses etc - if this is the case and is something that continues (as we all know must do) then we could well have our defence that was so stern under MON's reign.

Positives: Great save from Given, showing just why we bought him. Very happy with this signing. Bent doing what he does best. Petrov, Bannan and Delph shinign for me as well as a tight defence.

Need few more players to build squad depth and hope AM addresses this soon, just bringing in Given and Nzogbia for me, isnt enough to cover all the players who have left (NRC, Carew, Downing, Young, Fridel etc). However hopefully Stephen Irleand will start to show why we expect so much from him - more of his through-ball passing which set up Bents goal the other day at Walsall showed me that on his day he could be a vital player - and hearing AM say that he has high hopes for SI at Villa gives me comfort.

Roll on Chelsea in the final!

Think that is a bit harsh, Albrighton didn't do anything too wrong I don't think. Had a decent effort saved by Robinson.

The defence was very good and thought Makoun looked strong.

Besides the backpass that almost led to a goal you mean? ;)

Wasnt his best performance. Only way is up!

It's weird how no fans rate Heskey. Deon Dublin never shut up about how well he played today. Managers and players love Heskey but the majority of fans think he's crap.

Heskey put in a committed shift, can't really fault him.

Not sure what to say about Makoun and Petrov. Some nice passing, some wastefull passing. Some inspired through balls, other through balls which played us into trouble.

Warnock was a positive, as was entire defense.

Bannan doesnt want to be played out wide, but did his best. Got a good assist and gave a better account of himself than any of the other youngsters, who were all pretty poor.

Was a fairly meh performance, but encouraging signs of commitment from the players.

Didn't see the game as we were playing Blackburn I went to bed thinking we were playing in the UK. :oops:

Say that a 1-0 against Premiership opposition in 2nd game together ain't that bad. Knowing that it can take 2-3 months for a team to totally understand a new system and learn a pattern of play I am very pleased.

Maybe the youngsters didn't have the best games but they will improve and it will be fine. Looking forward to the FINAL and I'll make sure I set my clock this time. :D

It's weird how no fans rate Heskey. Deon Dublin never shut up about how well he played today. Managers and players love Heskey but the majority of fans think he's crap.

That's because his doesn't end with an "I" and he doesn't dribble past ten players and he doesn't make 50 yard passes to teammate's feet andetc...

He is solid at what his paid to do. Nothing overly exciting but he is solid and gives a good shift.

The way we played today really pleasantly surprised me. Maybe it's because of all the pessimism on VT, but I'm really pleased with today's performance.. If one thing AM is doing right, then it's definitely getting the back 4 to really play. The were exceptional today, but Collins was the standout. I was really impressed with Warnock's performance. His positional play was excellent, and he wasn't too shabby going forward; linking up well with Gabby in the first half. Our defence was actually playing with grit and passion, something we rarely saw under Houllier. Also, Heskey was really solid today. He's got many detractors here, but he can be an asset to us if he continues to play this well.

However it wasn't all rosy today. A couple of the youngsters were kind of meh. Delfouneso looked really slow, and average. Albrighton for someone who I was very impressed with last season, refused to take on the full back. Although he did put in a couple of decent crosses near the end. Clark was a liability in midfield, and was incapable of passing anywhere but backwards (he almost cost us a goal doing that once). Delph and Bannan were the only ones who played well out of the youngsters. Bannan's crossing was superb in the first half, and led to a goal in the second. Delph's dribbling was excellent, and who said he can't tackle? He does have a tendency to slip though, I don't know what it is :lol:

Given - 7 - Was only tested once but it was a super save

Young - 7 - Very solid, positional play was good and made some good interceptions/headers away.Not great going forward

Warnock - 9 - MOM for me and was like the Warnock of 2 seasons ago.Strong in the tackle, good passing and looking to get forward

Collins - 8 - Second best player, fully committed and first to every ball

Dunne - 7 - slightly outshone by Collins but played his part in a very convincing defensive peformance

Bannan - 6 - good cross for the goal but he looked way out of his depth out on the wing

Makoun - 7 - some decent one touch play but he doesnt look strong enough to me, needs to physically impose himself more

Petrov - 7 - linked well with Makoun, one great piece of skill but him and Makoun are too similar

Heskey -7- Worked very hard, defended well when asked to

Gabby - 7 - looked very sharp, the only player that tried to take anybody on

Bent - 7 - Gets **** all service all game but still scores. Thats why he will be a legend. Great movement as always

Delph - 7 - This guy should partner one of Petrov or Makoun. Tough in the tackle and made some good runs forward. We need a forward threat in the middle and

Petrov/Makoun aint that

Albrighton - 5 - Didnt try to take on his man and a sloppy back pass.Was expecting more today

Clark - 5 - Looked very rusty

Fonz - 5 - see Clark

The fact that 2 of our best performers were defenders is very promising especially after the shambles of last season!

Blackburn were terrible so hard to judge how good we actually were.

TBF we coped with the conditions better, looked fitter and just looked a step up from Blackburn. (Then we have just nicked their fitness coach off them!)

Last season we hardly looked a step up from any team as defence was so poor.

Thought we defended corners well and looked like we had a proper back four.

Commentators said AM had back four out last night working on things, not just Collins & Dunne. Looked to me like it paid dividends.

Bearing in mind this was Delph's first game back after a long lay off - It was Gabby's first playing minutes of the pre season and we were missing N'Zogbia, Ireland & Gardner who I think will play a part this season. I think we did well.

here are my official ratings

Given - 7 - Nice to see a keeper come off his line, oh and one fine save

Young - 7 - Committed, one great clearance

Warnock - 8 - The old Warnock is back MOM

Collins - 7 - Kept his concentration well

Dunne - 8 - Looks like he's lost 2 stone, so an extra point

Bannan - 7 - Always shows for the ball, good assist

Makoun - 5 - Oh dear, the boy is struggling at this level

Petrov - 8 - Class act & worthy skipper

Heskey -6 - Tried, but he's officialy in his autumn years now

Gabby - 7 - Rolled defender a couple of times, looked strong

Bent - 8 - Machine, does was it says on the tin (again)

Delph - 7 - Impressive

Albrighton - 6 - Did ok

Clark - 5 - Bit sloppy

Fonz - 4 - One nice shot, did see him give up chasing though, not acceptable

Â