Naples

TrentVilla

just mentioned Naples in the Europe by car thread

It's certainly a place with a reputation and one that appears justified by accounts of people that have been there ... I suspect it's fine unless you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time but you can increase your odds of survival :winkold: by staying in Sorrento instead ....

go visit Pompeii though regardless of where you stay

I've got a week in Sorrento and will be visiting Pompeii for certain and the other place similar (supposed to be better) the name of which escapes me at the moment. Then I'm travelling north for a week before finishing in Rome.

Naples is supposed to be more than a little intense shall we say but if I'm going to be so close I feel like I've got to pay it a visit.

Anyone in the police who can loan me a stab vest?

I got a gold chain robbed off my neck in Naples. Probably for the best. I was wearing a gold chain

Same happened to me in Florence. (I cerainly don't miss the chain).

I was really drunk and some guy just slapped me across the top of my chest. I starting yelling stuff at him and he went off.

The next morning I looked in the mirror and noticed my bling had gone.

Planning my next break which is going to be the Amalfi coast and Naples.

Anyone been? Got any views on Naples? Or any other places in that region?

If you head to Naples you wil obviously be planning on visiting the Roman ruins destroyed by Mt. Vesuvius.

Herculaneum is quite a fascinating place to visit. Much better than the better known Pompei as its more condensed and far more intact, if you have to choose one over the other this is the best option IMO.

before finishing in Rome

needs a few months to arrange but if you are planning on doing the Vatican then the scavi tour might be worth considering , though it sounds difficult to actually get tickets

Scavi

Planning my next break which is going to be the Amalfi coast and Naples.

Anyone been? Got any views on Naples? Or any other places in that region?

If you head to Naples you wil obviously be planning on visiting the Roman ruins destroyed by Mt. Vesuvius.

Herculaneum is quite a fascinating place to visit. Much better than the better known Pompei as its more condensed and far more intact, if you have to choose one over the other this is the best option IMO.

Thanks planning on visiting both as have always wanted to see them, a few people have said that about Herculaneum so taking that as gospel.

• 1 month later...
I've got a week in Sorrento and will be visiting Pompeii for certain and the other place similar (supposed to be better) the name of which escapes me at the moment. Then I'm travelling north for a week before finishing in Rome.

Naples is supposed to be more than a little intense shall we say but if I'm going to be so close I feel like I've got to pay it a visit.

Anyone in the police who can loan me a stab vest?

I've only just seen this thread now, but I lived in Napoli for a total of six/seven years of my life. It's perfectly safe as long as you are sensible and don't do the obvious things, like walking down dark alleys in the early hours of the morning etc. Pretty much like any city in the world with regards to safety.

Napoli itself is a nice city and the views across the Med are fantastic. There is so much to do, but one thing you must do is taste the pizza there. It's the nicest pizza I have ever tasted. The best places for the pizza are generally in side streets and are usually family run. Don't go to places that look like a chain, as they tend to be more generic pizza.

Pompeii, Herculanium and Vesuvius should not be missed. I would also suggest going to San Lorenzo Maggiore if you get the chance. The museum there is fantastic and the excavations beneath are great.

If you get chance then Capri and Ischia are also worth a visit. Two very nice islands that can be reached via Hydrofoil from the bay. There is an outdoor spa area on one of them too if I remember correctly, which might be worth checking out if you like that kind of thing.

The Amalfi coast is also absolutely stunning. Just going along the road along the coast is breathtaking in itself. However, I would advise visiting Positano and Ravello on the way. They both have plenty of history to them and are stunning areas. I really can't put into words just how beautiful the Amalfi coast is. Sorrento is great too and you can pick up some nice Sorrento wood gifts there, as the craftsmanship is second to none.

Don't forget to pick up some Lincello too whilst you are in the area. You should stumble upon a place in Sorrento that lets you taste it for free, which is worth doing.

Anyway, just some quick things I thought I would share with you and I hope I'm not too late with this. Have a great time and enjoy.

• 6 years later...
On 03/09/2011 at 13:36, briggaman said:

I've only just seen this thread now, but I lived in Napoli for a total of six/seven years of my life. It's perfectly safe as long as you are sensible and don't do the obvious things, like walking down dark alleys in the early hours of the morning etc. Pretty much like any city in the world with regards to safety.

Napoli itself is a nice city and the views across the Med are fantastic. There is so much to do, but one thing you must do is taste the pizza there. It's the nicest pizza I have ever tasted. The best places for the pizza are generally in side streets and are usually family run. Don't go to places that look like a chain, as they tend to be more generic pizza.

Pompeii, Herculanium and Vesuvius should not be missed. I would also suggest going to San Lorenzo Maggiore if you get the chance. The museum there is fantastic and the excavations beneath are great.

If you get chance then Capri and Ischia are also worth a visit. Two very nice islands that can be reached via Hydrofoil from the bay. There is an outdoor spa area on one of them too if I remember correctly, which might be worth checking out if you like that kind of thing.

The Amalfi coast is also absolutely stunning. Just going along the road along the coast is breathtaking in itself. However, I would advise visiting Positano and Ravello on the way. They both have plenty of history to them and are stunning areas. I really can't put into words just how beautiful the Amalfi coast is. Sorrento is great too and you can pick up some nice Sorrento wood gifts there, as the craftsmanship is second to none.

Don't forget to pick up some Lincello too whilst you are in the area. You should stumble upon a place in Sorrento that lets you taste it for free, which is worth doing.

Anyway, just some quick things I thought I would share with you and I hope I'm not too late with this. Have a great time and enjoy.

Bump. Considering going in Feb for a weekend as there are cheap flights (<£50 return). Thanks for the advice!

Â