Match Thread

wedge

Nice performance given the heat. Impressed with Makoun, Warnock, Collins, Dunne and Petrov in particular. Don't want Ivanhoe to start games really but he played well today. Dazza is a goal machine, where are the journalists who laughed at how much we spent on him?

I love Fabian Delph.

None of our kids played well at all today.. just a friendly but if wwe are to rely on them.. concerning

Pretty much agree, though you have to credit Bannan with the assist and bear in mind the circumstances.

I understand the point KSV but it's also a bit unfair to judge them on what was an average pitch in 90% humidity.

I thought Bannan did well as did Delph when he came on but what was Clarke and Albrighton doing with a couple of back passes! lol

Good win, bring on Chelsea.

Yeah i guess. Just a tad worried even before the game that we are relying on the youth.. Look at our bench for todays game.. add Nzgobia and Ireland and it looks a bit more senior.. but geez.. not much experience in reserve.

Dodgy pitch...its dodgy for both teams remember.

Not sure if that was to me as I mentioned the pitch wasnt great. I agree which is probably why neither played free flowing football!

(although neither team are exactly reknowned for that style anyway! :D )

I'd be worried if I were a Blackburn fan, they were woeful!

Our senior players were great in this one. Good to see the defence back again.

The youngsters were poor though :(

If Clark is going to be our back up defensive mid to Petrov I think we will struggle.

Dodgy pitch...its dodgy for both teams remember.

Not sure if that was to me as I mentioned the pitch wasnt great. I agree which is probably why neither played free flowing football!

(although neither team are exactly reknowned for that style anyway! :D )

Not one in particular, just read a few posts talking about the pitch/heat/etc. Didnt want the game so I cant comment and I'm not trying to be negative just pointing out that conditions are shit for both sides :)

Thoughts on today's game

- Delph did well

- Defence looks much better, glad to have a motivated Warnock back, very strange what happened with him last season. (I know he went mad at club but why)

- In terms of midfield really feel we need a defensive mid to cover/challenge Petrov. Delph seems to have bulked up a bit so maybe they see him doing this. Interesting to see them put Clark in there. Not sure if it was out of necessity or experimentation but I thought his best games last year were Blues at home and Fulham away both in CM. Maybe a new Barry on our hands.

- Though game highlighted our current plight well - Neither Heskey, Gabby or Bannan are wingers. We are light in this area even with nZog coming in.

- While the youngsters are exciting we would be wise not to rely on them (showed today but two poor passes from Clarke and Albrighton).

- With Makoun, Delph, Bannan, Ireland we have some real ball players and we may see ourselves playing some good stuff at times.

Poor performance, masked by a worryingly poor (for Blackburn supporters) Rovers display. Our defence looked decent, even Warnock did, but let's face it they weren't stretched at all. Up front we looked disjointed, it wasn't the right mix at the start with Heskey, Gabby and Bannan. That formation has to have Ireland in the middle pulling the strings, and two wingers on the flanks.

It got more interesting in the second half with Fonz experimented on the left and Heskey in the hole, it looked a bit better with Fonz running from deep and Heskey playing the odd nice pass.

In midfield Makoun just didn't get involved enough again, Petrov worked hard and Delph looked decent when he came on.

Some of today's experiments I wouldn't like to see again, i.e Gabby in the hole. Heskey in the hole looked decent, Fonz on the left at times looked decent.

We need Ireland fit and N'Zog signed.