Photography?

trimandson

• 2 weeks later...

Have been a very naughty girl... went and blew £500 on a new body - Olympus e620

My god I've missed a swivel LCD! Couldn't find a ruddy damselfly anywhere so had to settle for this little fellow... you watch the weather turn crap now I've got the bug again!

3598358184_9b36617b89.jpg

3598357022_59132b452d.jpg

Butterflys - needs to be overcast or 'grow' your own with one of those butterfly kits! Failing that try a butterfly farm.

Damselflys - I catch them as they emerge from my pond, they take ages to recover and stay really still.

Other thing I'd say is wear something low-key! I've never managed to photograph anything wearing red or yellow!

lol or as Bickster says use a zoom - prefer to get in close myself, all part of the fun!

how do you get such close ups... or should that be how do I get them on the D70 ;-P

Use teh zoom lens I gave you, it has a macro feature not 1:1 but 1:2 I think

Oh yes must remember to find a manual :-)

You'll find cats (previous) won't set you back a lot at all. In fact her photos are even more impressive by the fact she doesn't use the most expensive gear. It's the skill that counts there!

edit.. she's gone and ruined it by buying an olympus!

You'll find cats (previous) won't set you back a lot at all. In fact her photos are even more impressive by the fact she doesn't use the most expensive gear. It's the skill that counts there!

edit.. she's gone and ruined it by buying an olympus!

:lol:

You can do it on a budget but once you start buying camera gear you can't stop.. it soon becomes an addiction... you stop going on holiday, cut back on the beer, wear last seasons shirt and spend hours on the internet covetting the next must have lens...

I started with a Canon Powershot A60 decided I wanted more control so bought a Canon S2. Learnt to use manual settings on that and bought a Raynox DCR-250 macro lens to stack on top. On my flickr page almost all of my macro stuff was taken with the S2 and the Raynox. When an Olympus e500 appeared on a bargain forum I took the plunge to DSLR, cost me £180 with a kit lens. Been generally happy with it but missed having liveview, a swivel LCD and multiple focal points. Have just purchased an Olympus e620 as it has all of those things but can still be used with all the lenses I purchased for the e500. The e620 body cost £500... you can see where this going right?

It really depends on where you are at at the moment. If you haven't used anything more than auto on a point and shoot I'd think twice about jumping straight to a DSLR. Not sure what Canons latest prosumer model is (my brother has the S3 but remember reading about an S5 a while back) but that's a good place to start, as would be one of the Panasonic cameras ( my brother-in-law uses a Panasonic FZ50). You get as much control as you want, or don't want, with those and don't have the added expense of lenses. Of course if you want to do macro then you'd need to add a Raynox to the bill but they are very cheap.

DSLR wise depends on your budget. Olympus make great quality kit lenses so if you are working to a budget I think they're a good choice. I always liked Canons but then that's what I started with so I got used to the menu system. Nikons I don't know much about but if your shooting in low light they are the best ( allegedly!)

I'm a newbie photographer and haven't been able to take many pictures lately due to work but here's one that I took in June last year of Harlech beach taken from the Barmouth to Harlech road.

It was on an Olympus E-510. F/10, 1/200th exposure.

This was put on the Redbubble site and someone actually brought a large print of this which I was enormously chuffed about. The first, and only, photograph I've sold but I don't care :D

harlechbeach.jpg

That's my favourite part of the world ever, I'm going to retire there when I've made my millions. Nice photo.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Banksy exhibition in Bristol yesterday - absolutely fantastic! Anyone else been yet? Going to have to go back as I missed loads of stuff - place was heaving!!!!!

3642898641_d1fa6aa954.jpg

3643704720_3665dacbeb.jpg

3643713770_2c1c596f24.jpg

more here banksy

Are there any cheap digital cameras available that someone starting off in photography (me) would be able to afford? I'd prefer it to be as cheap as possible and to have great quality pictures. This probably isn't very likely, but if someone knows of any cameras then please say. :D

Actually I just found a camera from my parents' house from a few years back. It's a Canon EOS 3000. Think that would be any good for a beginner photographer? I want the pictures to be sharp and colourful like the ones on here, so hopefully it can manage that.

Â