Photography?

trimandson

I'm thinking about buying a camera, but I hope I don't have to read the whole thread to find out which one? :)

I'll probably get Canon eos 350 or 400, perhaps 450 if I can find a cheap one.

If I go for one of them I guess my options are that I buy it without the lens that comes with it and get a better one. But what lens do I pick? Or perhaps it would be better to buy it with the lens, then replace it when I know more about what I need.

I'm not sure how much I will use it but I expect I will use indoors as well as outdoors. Probably an all-rounder, if there is such a thing :)

Tarj - I followed the advice of a few on here and went for the Nikon D60 - must say it's been brilliant - brought a couple of extra lenses too and even if I say myself have had some superb pics

As a "newbie" to the DSLR environment - well I certainly was even though I didn't realise it - the Nikon ticked all the boxes in terms of ease of use, lens variations, add ons and books and articles on the web

I read some reviews. It certainly comes highly recommended and a bit cheaper than the 450d. The lens looks poor though, not that I'm an expert. Is it sufficient? The one I'm looking at is 18 mm - 55 mm - f/3.5-5.6. 18-55 is fine I suppose, not really sure what would be the best for my use, but my brother said that if I wanted good indoor pictures I should look for lower numbers on the latter (can't think of the english word for it but I mean the number that describers how much light gets through it), but I guess I have to pay a lot more then?

I read some reviews. It certainly comes highly recommended and a bit cheaper than the 450d. The lens looks poor though, not that I'm an expert. Is it sufficient? The one I'm looking at is 18 mm - 55 mm - f/3.5-5.6. 18-55 is fine I suppose, not really sure what would be the best for my use, but my brother said that if I wanted good indoor pictures I should look for lower numbers on the latter (can't think of the english word for it but I mean the number that describers how much light gets through it), but I guess I have to pay a lot more then?

You want f2.8 lenses or lower and each lens will cost you almost twice what you are paying for that camera. f2.8 lenses (and lower) are pro lenses. An amateur just starting out has no need for pro lenses imo, in fact there is an argument to say you will learn more about camera control by not having them, you will lear other ways to get the shot

I'll probably get Canon eos 350 or 400, perhaps 450 if I can find a cheap one.

I've got the 450 and am more than happy with it ... Weighed up the Nikon and what not but I've always been a canon man so in the end i just went with what i know ...

for me the canon is the better camera but I'm sure a nikon man will tell you the same for the Nikon ..it's worth trying them both , the d450 is a bit heavier than my d300 and I like the extra weight of it ..others don't ... so it's worth getting your hands on them first

I like what I'm reading about it, so I think I will go for Nikon D60 and just get the kit for now. Thank you, both.

What lenses did you get, drat?

The Nikon 18-55 VR

and the

55-200 VR

If you do go for the D60 and you don't go for Nikon lenses make sure about compatibility and get VR ones (that was the advice I was given and it seemed to work OK)

I just got back from a few days in Devon and Cornwall and must have taken nearly 150 pics - love the differences by just playing with some of the settings

I bought it yesterday (with the 18-55 II kit). I got lucky as a local shop had it £25% off this week. I like it a lot but I'm struggling indoors. The blitz is not good, but if I leave it off I struggle. I guess I have to play around with it until I can find a way. It's sure is great fun getting into this, but the manual is scary. 203 pages!

keep it simple to start off with tarjei, set it to aperture priority and work it out from there. You need to ignore fully auto mode as you wont learn a thing like that but start of with AP so you set the aperture for the kind of Depth of field you want (the lower the f number, the shallower the depth of field), the shallower the depth of field, the quicker you will be able to take the photo (shutter speed)

Most of the rest of the manua;l can wait until you want to use a specific function, I think most of my manuals are still half unread now

Tarj - good advice from Bicks there also have a read of Ken Rockwell's pages on the web. There is a lot for the D40 but a lot of the features are the same between the D40 and the D60 so you get a good view of what to do etc

D40 page but good info there

EDIT: What SD card you using? I have found a bit of difference with card types and spec in terms of rapid shooting

More photographers than actual protesters in that one... sad sign of the times. Bloomin' digital cameras

slight OT but I was wondering ? are they not breaking the law by watching a crime and doing nothing to stop it ?

More photographers than actual protesters in that one... sad sign of the times. Bloomin' digital cameras

slight OT but I was wondering ? are they not breaking the law by watching a crime and doing nothing to stop it ?

I'm not certain but I doubt it. Otherwise they wouldn't tell shopkeepers and whoever not to challenge armed robbers. Are you saying if they don't they should be prosecuted?

keep it simple to start off with tarjei, set it to aperture priority and work it out from there. You need to ignore fully auto mode as you wont learn a thing like that but start of with AP so you set the aperture for the kind of Depth of field you want (the lower the f number, the shallower the depth of field), the shallower the depth of field, the quicker you will be able to take the photo (shutter speed)

Most of the rest of the manua;l can wait until you want to use a specific function, I think most of my manuals are still half unread now

Just starting to get into this. It's a bit confusing, and for some reason whatever changes I make to the settings is reset after I've taken one photo (not the shutter speed, but in example I want to be able to manually set the focus point and release mode).

Tarj - good advice from Bicks there also have a read of Ken Rockwell's pages on the web. There is a lot for the D40 but a lot of the features are the same between the D40 and the D60 so you get a good view of what to do etc

D40 page but good info there

EDIT: What SD card you using? I have found a bit of difference with card types and spec in terms of rapid shooting

I will have a look, thanks. I got a Scandisc ultra 2 GB card. It says 15mb/s. Not sure if that's fast, but I asked the seller for the fastest card they had. I'm definitely pleased with how little time it takes from snapping a photo until it's display. I have it set at large, with fine quality (7.3 MB, I think) and it takes less than a second.

Â