Photography?

trimandson

And Tony, sometimes people are your friends, the second photo is best, though the perspective still needs some work (you could correct it in PS though)

I have the same one, its useful occaisionally

Misquote ;D

i thought he meant the same one friend thast useful occasionally!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nokia is "way bigger" in the dslr world. Therefore better lens and (other bits) back catalogue. If that's not important then i'd need to check both side by side.

Spec comparison - which you've probably already done

The specs of the a200 are better.So to answer your question probably the Sony

But the d40 is a nikon, although not a great entry model camera, and that comes with a standard highly valued. However, how much are you looking to spend?? You may come off with a better model for the money even second hand, some great bargains around.

Nokia is "way bigger" in the dslr world. Therefore better lens and (other bits) back catalogue. If that's not important then i'd need to check both side by side.

Don't think is after an in-phone camera! :winkold:

Nikon do have have a wider range of lenses compared to Sony but Sony are using the Minolta mount so it isn't just Sony branded lenses that are available, all Minolta auto-focus lenses fit the Sony SLR range.

The two things widely acknowledged to be thumbs up to Sony is the quality of their LCD screens (size and resolution) and the in-body anti-shake, the latter they inherited from Minolta and further developed.

But the d40 is a nikon, although not a great entry model camera, and that comes with a standard highly valued. However, how much are you looking to spend?? You may come off with a better model for the money even second hand, some great bargains around.

Even the spend is a difficult one because you can get a D40 from 200 up to 320 (with lens).

These 2 keep coming up as the "best" entry level DSLR's in the reviews I have read - unless of course I am reading the wrong ones. The biggest moan I can see about the Sony is having to compose the shot only through the viewfinder and not the screen? and the use of compact flash? Are these really big issues?

Many are saying that a Nikon is a Nikon which is a really good thing. It's a tricky one - I just wish there was some obvious plus / minus especially when they are pretty much in the same area for price etc

Even the spend is a difficult one because you can get a D40 from 200 up to 320 (with lens).

These 2 keep coming up as the "best" entry level DSLR's in the reviews I have read - unless of course I am reading the wrong ones. The biggest moan I can see about the Sony is having to compose the shot only through the viewfinder and not the screen? and the use of compact flash? Are these really big issues?

Many are saying that a Nikon is a Nikon which is a really good thing. It's a tricky one - I just wish there was some obvious plus / minus especially when they are pretty much in the same area for price etc

I think the Nikon will give you better longevity based on the lenses available but on paper the sony is a better model. Now the d40 is the most basic dslr they've put out of late, so maybe a second hand d70s might be better and the same price. Also you have to be careful with the lens compatablity of the d40, which complicates slightly what I said about lens back catalogue. Still better in that aspect than the Sony.

I use the viewfinder all the time, haven't got a "live view" ie through the big screen, would be useful from time to time but to be honest, the viewfinder has been the mainstay since for as long as photographers care to remember so that shouldn't put you off.

SD's are cheaper but CF cards are cheap enough anyway. I use CF's in my d200s.. haven't had a problem and mainly use Sandisk Extreme III's. Again, the memory card question shouldn't worry you in this case either.

The biggest moan I can see about the Sony is having to compose the shot only through the viewfinder and not the screen? and the use of compact flash? Are these really big issues?

Live view is at its most useful if you are using a tripod but I am of the opinion that if you are not you should use the viewfinder on an SLR. The viewfinder is much better than on a compact.

Â