Photography?

trimandson

• 1 month later...

quick question as this thread is back ..

if you are taking a picture of a large building / monument ..how do you try to give it a sense of perspective ...

for me I hate it when people are walking about in front of an object i'm trying to take ,but looking at the examples below , without seeing the person in the second photo ..would you have guessed on the size of the building ? is there a better way ... more sky and cliff face for example ?

(photo's need a bit of PS as well so ignore the obvious flaws)

img0393fv2.jpg

pic 2

img03981ai0.jpg

It depends on what you want to achieve, imagine getting lower and closer, and then get more sky in perhaps.. that might make it grander or more foreboding even. But then if you pull back and get it wider you will get more context perhaps and scale. That and PS OBE into it. Works everytime :)

slightly off topic but where is that building / monument and whats it called? i want to visit there!

it's Petra ,Jordan ... the "Indiana Jones" one is the famous building , but if you are prepared to climb bucket loads of steps up through the mountains in sweltering heat , this is what awaits you at the top .... just around the corner is a look out point and there is just vast emptiness ,more hills , desert .. in theory it's the land of the Bible , even if you don't believe, you do have to feel there is something in it for a group of monks to go to the trouble to build a monastery on top of the mountain in the middle of nowhere

looks like ill be heading out to Jordan iin the next few years then, that place looks amazing

it is well worth it ... they are still digging at Petra but the site covers Miles and miles .. has Roman ruins in it as well as the Romans found the place and used it as an outpost .. they do a night trip where they light it up with hundreds of candles and you walk down to it through the rocks guided by the moonlight and candles .. then you sit by the treasury( the Indiana Jones building) in silence and take it all in .... sadly they ruin it when they play some Jordanian folk music :-) ..but to be fair it suits the atmosphere and adds to the effect

And Tony, sometimes people are your friends, the second photo is best, though the perspective still needs some work (you could correct it in PS though)

I have the same one, its useful occaisionally

Misquote ;D

Â