Photography?

trimandson

Advice needed please, experts!

2 questions.

Firstly, for around the €400 mark (£320), what would you recommend as the best all-rounder SLR camera for a media student?

Secondly, if you were to buy a non-Canon lens (e.g. Sigma) for a Canon EOS 450d body or similar, would the lens be as fully-functional as a canon lens would be? If not, what kind of things would be compromised ?

Maybe get a used Nikon D90 or Canon 500d. Best you are gonna get at that price new is the entry level SLRs.

You should check to make sure, but yes, Sigma, Tamron, etc, make lenses for Canon that are tailored to the brand, so you have auto focus and TTL-metering. They are genrally cheaper build and have slower focusing, but doesn't cost as much.

Might be wise to check that the lenses are able to auto focus with the specific camera. I.e. the Nikon d60 (entry level) doesn't have a focus motor so you would need to get lenses with built in focus motor. Most new lenses does, but older doesn't. Don't know if it's the same with entry level Canon.

Well as I always suggest.. get a 50mm 1.8. They are cheap but probably best lens for the buck and great for video. No matter what camera you get for that price it's gonna be limited and won't be much separating them, so better to buy something cheaper and get a nice lens that gives you more options, and then use the cheap camera as a learning device until you really want something good and you are able to master it.

A friend of mine who is a videographer and works for the 2nd largest TV-station over here mostly buys old manual lenses, usually generic grands such as Tamron. His favorite lens he got of ebay for £20. He says he loves the colors and softness of them. Granted it is for video mostly and it can't compare in sharpness and contrast to the newest high end nikkors, but it's not a must to have the latest and most expensive gear. Sometimes it's good to work with what you have got (says the guy with a breand new d800 :P)

Oooww, that girl is hot.

That will get you a D5100 and 50mm f1.8 off Amazon. Cant go wrong with that!

Agreed. A 50mm 1.8 is just about the best £100 you will ever spend. Even though I spent £300 and got the 1.4!

That will get you a D5100 and 50mm f1.8 off Amazon. Cant go wrong with that!

Agreed. A 50mm 1.8 is just about the best £100 you will ever spend. Even though I spent £300 and got the 1.4!

100% agree. I had the 1.8, now use the 1.4

Â