Photography?

trimandson

* 10.0 Megapixels

* 6x optical zoom lens with optical Image Stabilizer and SR coating

* DIGIC III and iSAPS with Advanced Noise Reduction and Face Detection AF/AE

* 2.5” high-resolution LCD with wide viewing angle and anti-glare coating

* ISO 1600 for flash-free, low light shooting

* Ergonomic design with dedicated ISO and Multi Control dials for fast, easy operation

* 25 shooting modes including full manual control and 2 custom settings

* Extra telephoto reach with Digital Tele-Converter and Safety Zoom

* Hot shoe support for Canon Speedlite flashes and optional lens accessories

Features very impressive

its a canon so the lens should be very good

But its a compact all the same and althought things have improved they never tell you the shutter lag time (this is bloody important for those spur of the moment / action photo's)

If its as good as its previous incarnation then it'll be bloody good for a compact

be interesting to see the actual photographic results especially the low light as they seem to be claiming its improved.

Sounds good but as with all these things its the results that count

25 shooting modes though, to my mind is a bit excessive, never use them on my camera or my previous one, prefer manual mode, aperture priority or shutter priority depending on the circumstances, the picture modes always seem a tad gimmicky and as I shoot RAW files I prefer to alter the photos in PS rather than incamera

yeah they are great shots, you stumbled across the sandstorm in iraq photos ot the photo of the diagonal ice onn the lamposts - in other words it was pissing it down then it froze mid air - has to be seen to be believed

Sounds cool...i'll look out for it mate. Have added another link above btw.

yeah they are great shots, you stumbled across the sandstorm in iraq photos ot the photo of the diagonal ice onn the lamposts - in other words it was pissing it down then it froze mid air - has to be seen to be believed

Sounds cool...i'll look out for it mate. Have added another link above btw.

feck me that blokes travelled, photos from all over the world and really good ones too

Has anyone tried Adobes new photographic software (currently in Beta testing) - Adobe Lightroom great for RAW file shooters like myself apparently (it incorporates the technology from the recently aquired Raw Shooter Pro) I shall be giving it a serious test soon methinks, currently up to Beta 4 and I know a few who've been using and its very stable, none have reported probelms

Nice photo Kitey.

I have a question for all the camera experts. I'm off to Cyprus next week, and I have taken many photos of the place in the past, but, would a Circular Polarising Filter make a great deal of difference to my "hopefully" sunny beach shots? Is it worth the cash to get one? Oh, and do I use it with the UV filter I already have on my camera, or do I remove that first?

definately get one but you'll have to remember these

(a) a pola filter usually reduces your exposure by three stops but if you have TTL (through the lens) metering this isnt an issue, if you don't have TTL metering you will have to compensate

(B) the most extreme colour change is not always the best, you have to use your eyes to find the best angle for the filter on a particular shot

© As you have a digital camera only use a circular polariser, don't use the t'other sort (linear)

(d) CP filters as well as being used for colour enhancement are also used for reducing (or enhancing) reflections in glass, water etc

(e) don't use a CP filter if you are shooting a panorama, the Filer will have a greater / lesser effect as you sweep round the image you are shooting

using it with the UV filter? well it depends if it makes a difference to the exposure (a UV filter reduces exposure by about 1/2 a stop), generally I keep the UV on the lens 90% of the time, sometimes though I take it off if it gives me that crucial bit of leeway in the exposure

The key to the CP filter is experimentation, its all about working out which angle on the filter gives you the best result at the time. It also has a greater / lesser effect dependant upon your position in relation to the sun

Other filters to consider? - a set of Neutral Density graduated filters to help balance exposures between the sky and the land in a photo

My advice would be to buy a filter system if you have more than one lens (or intend to upgrade to SLR) like the Hoya as every lens will require a different sized CP filter depending on its thread size, buy a system (Hoya etc) where the filters are held in a holder in front of the lens and you will only need one CP filter and given their price in the long run you will save money

Right I.m going to get one, thanks Bicks for the advice, As I said I'm off to Cyprus for a week, I'm going to take my camera manual, and put some time into playing with the settings it has. If I put the time in I'm sure I will get better results.

Â