Scientific Experiment V1#1 R.Lerner/ Board Approval Ratings

jackbauer24

Do you currently approve of Randy Lerner's ownership of AVFC?  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently approve of Randy Lerner's ownership of AVFC?

• Disapprove
    • Approve

The fact is we still have Petrov, Warnock Beye, Ireland, Heskey, Collins, Dunne and Young who take a massive slice from the wage bill. Out of those players, I would only keep Young, possibly Dunne and if we can't find any other LB, Warnock.

We've also offered 35 year old Given a 5 year contract. How is the board sorting out the wage bill if they've just done that? He is likely to get injured more so than the average keeper due to his shoulder as well. Massive risk again.

Overall, still looks rather bad. It doesn't help we're releasing some of the wrong players when we should be making more effort getting rid of those above. It's not impossible, it's just difficult. Houllier's biggest highlight (for me anyway) was how he got rid of the deawood quite effectively. I couldn't believe how he managed to sell someone as useless as Sidwell for example. Why can't McLeish do the same? At least get rid of that donkey Heskey for christ sake.

It appears as if our wage bill may have been £384,000 per week over budget for a couple of years.

What should a good, responsible club owner do in that situation?

Maybe not be in that situation in the first place?

People make mistakes. What do you do when you make a mistake? Carry on doing it, or rectify it?

Nobody is defending how Randy and MON messed it up, but it needs fixing which they're going to do.

So you're basically saying they shouldn't have spend loads on the wage bill, but we're not spending enough right now at the same time. Win win for you isn't it Mr Ray of Sunshine.

Didn't you predict us to spend big this summer?

This is very different tune you seem to be singing now.

I expected us to have a £15m 'net' spend, and it seems like I am going to be wrong. Yes I can admit I am wrong unlike some. However this is due to our new manager wanting to keep players such as Ireland, Warnock, Beye etc... who I predicted would be removed off the wage budget. This has now prevented him from bringing in additional signings.

It's his decision and I don't particularly agree with it, but Randy can't let him keep all them players and then allow him to bring more in which will further increase the wage budget.

The fact is we still have Petrov, Warnock Beye, Ireland, Heskey, Collins, Dunne and Young who take a massive slice from the wage bill. Out of those players, I would only keep Young, possibly Dunne and if we can't find any other LB, Warnock.

We've also offered 35 year old Given a 5 year contract. How is the board sorting out the wage bill if they've just done that? He is likely to get injured more so than the average keeper due to his shoulder as well. Massive risk again.

Overall, still looks rather bad. It doesn't help we're releasing some of the wrong players when we should be making more effort getting rid of those above. It's not impossible, it's just difficult. Houllier's biggest highlight (for me anyway) was how he got rid of the deawood quite effectively. I couldn't believe how he managed to sell someone as useless as Sidwell for example. Why can't McLeish do the same? At least get rid of that donkey Heskey for christ sake.

I agree but it depends if we can find any suitors for them. We made the mistake of putting them on the big wages and we now have to find the clubs who will come close to paying them similar. I doubt there are many about that come even close.

It appears as if our wage bill may have been £384,000 per week over budget for a couple of years.

Are you saying the owners are incompetent then?

I dont think I'm all that interested in a debate about blame. I have my ideas, you have yours, etc. All a bit pointless.

What interests me is this. if you had came in as Villa's owner in say March, and found a wage bill that over the previous year had been £380, 000 per week over the UEFA fair play limit, what would you do, as a fan of Villa?

£380,000 per week is 9 or 10 first team players. Thats the scale of the problem.

What is the scale of the solution?

HOW on earth do you get to be £384K per week over budget?! What's the point in even having a budget if you're going to let things get that out of hand?

A few questions:

- Where does this figure come from exactly?

- Is the figure we have for wages purely for playing staff or for the organisation as a whole?

- Will the financial fair play rules focus on playing staff or the club itself?

Or maybe this was the risk Randy took for CL football with the vision it would be reached in a certain period of time. This qualification was not achieved and now that level of wage is no longer sustainable so a new approach is needed.

Or maybe this was the risk Randy took for CL football with the vision it would be reached in a certain period of time. This qualification was not achieved and now that level of wage is no longer sustainable so a new approach is needed.

I think that's what has happened. **** oil ... If only Randy had bought the club one year earlier...

To be frank, I would expect his resignation.

How does an owner resign?

Erm... take the club down the car-boot?

I think that Bassetts Pole is the closest?? It's a long way to take such a big item and remember we will get charged double for being a van?? Randy has to add that cost to the overall price??

Note that even at this over budget figure we got no where near our target, either change the target (CL football) or increase the wage budget to a figure that will get us (CL football).

Changing the target is fine as long as they let us know. We know the target is now survival, they know it and the players know it.

Changing the target is fine as long as they let us know. We know the target is now survival, they know it and the players know it.

According to the general the aim is top 4 and next season Villa could be anywhere between 4th and 9th. Or something along these lines anyway.

According to the general the aim is top 4 and next season Villa could be anywhere between 4th and 9th. Or something along these lines anyway.

I like the General, seems a top bloke but it is very easy to type 4th on a keyboard. It means nothing, the only thing that matters is what goes happens on the grass and the 22 legs running around (Or 21 depending on the transfer funds) in the name of Aston Villa. He should know more than anyone that if you don't have the right ammunition to win a fight you just can't win it.

It's OK though, we have sold our best 2 surface to air missiles to utter scum but we are still aiming for 4th, hold on while we fill up our super soaker water pistols we were lucky enough to be given as replacements for said missiles.

I am aiming to be President of the USA one day and I will prepare for office while sitting in a nice coffee shop and eating mushrooms.

See.....

Easy as anything to have an aim. The hard thing is believing it.

The general obviously understands very little about football if he believes we can challenge for 4th spot - we'll be lucky to finish 9th to 12th (many pundits in their pre-season predictions have us around 11th)

What's RL's plan is now - Survival? Consolidation for a couple of years and then another push for the top - doubtful? Sale of the club? What's your next 5 year plan Randy? I'm not sure you know!

The UEFA financial fair play rules (if applied properly) will mean that it will be very difficult to move from the position you start out at - if you begin as a mid-table team you will need substantial growth over a sustained period to radically alter your position - it seems to me that mid-table obsurity is the fate that awaits us

It's will be sad to see a team as great as Villa once were, being cannon-fodder for the big 4 CL sides. I expect MU, Chelsea and MC to disappear over the horizon clutching there CL money, together with one of Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool (the two losers in that little battle could be in trouble and maybe do a Leeds - let's hope)

I've been a Villa fan since the third division days but sometimes it's hard to maintain the enthusiasm. The past five years have been good because it seemed we were building to something but whats going to keep us motivated for the next five? We can't hang on to our best players, We have a less than inspiring manager, we need half a dozen new faces just to stand still and if AM is to be believed we will be getting one more in. It's difficult to see what we have to look forward to now? The battle for 10th? Avoiding Relegation? A good Carling Cup run?

I can't blame Randy really - the MC thing blew the plan out the water. Someone else might buy the club and do better but I doubt it. It's football's problem - how do you keep fans interested when only 2 or 3 sides can ever win anything.

It's all shit

Do we? Do they?

Just because something becomes harder or less realistic doesnt mean that the target should not remain.

Could that not also have been written as:

It appears our revenue was £600,000 per week under budget for a couple of years.

So after all these years of being told "At least we're not" we finally find we actually are.

Â