Sunderland.

AVFC-Prideofbrum

I really do dislike them, their fans are hilarious as well. When Downing wanted out from Villa, they geniunally started a thread about him, saying things like "Yeah, he'd not set the world alight but he'd be a good realist signing"

what **** planet are they on? They really do believe they are some huge club. Would love to see them fail badly again.

Meh, I don't mind them, got a good history, most fans I've met seem decent.

There is a bit of sour grapes on the part of some of their fans over the Bent transfer and some fans are guilty of overstating how big a club they are but hey, I know another set of fans that can be guilty of that sometimes!

I like Sunderland. Every time we visit them, we have the same argument about who has the worse neighbours.

Who gives a f*ck what their messageboard says? If our (actual) support was anything like the main VT board, I would not go to games

What's more ridiculous out of Sunderland fans speculating whether they might have a chance of getting Downing or Villa fans getting ridiculously excited over us signing Sneijder and getting Ancelotti as manager?

I think there is a difference, firstly given the fact our manager spoke about Sneijder as a potential target as did MM who is quite respected. Sneijder at the time being not wanted by his club and us challenging for top 4-6 spots.

different to a player who wants to leave to apparently try and play CL for a fee of £20 million (something Sunderland can't afford) never mind, they pay less wages than us and have less chance of CL football than us and their best player left them to go to us ...

so given both situations at their timings, quite obviously Downing.

Hmm not sure and what about Ancelotti?

Anyway I don't want to keep talking down Villa, I just think our fans dish out too much hatred maybe because are terrified of clubs challenging our status in the eyes of the football world. We did it to Spurs and now we seem to be doing it to Sunderland. (Although i don't expect Sunderland to surpass us).

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=578775

Fact. Couldn't think of a better signing for SAFC personally

Downing is a good player and a realistic signing I would think

Very good player, and just the sort of player we need.

Downing is no longer the "set the world alight" signing he might have been once for us, but at the right price would be a very good signing for us.
(hilarious)

in response...

This. Not a marquee signing but better than we have, so why not.

A proven creator and goal-scoring threat from out wide, which is exactly what we need.

He can play on either side despite being predominately left footed so gives us an option on either flank. Him on one side and Sessegnon on the other would be canny.

He'd be just as good a signing as N'Zogbia IMO so either one of them and I'd be pleased. The story about him wanting to leave has come from **** Off Jarvis though, so no doubt isn't true.

However, we were linked in January so it will be interesting to see if Bruce sticks in a serious offer in the summer, although relations between us and Aston Villa (well more so Houllier) are no doubt strained after the B£nt carry on in January.

He'd be an excellent signing.

Deluded.

I like Sunderland. And its true, Sunderland fans can't be defined by a couple of posts on an Internet forum, just as Villa fans can't all be defined by the opening few posts in this thread.

• 3 months later...

What is it with them and attendances. It's as if they're so small time, that's all they can boast about. Ironically their nearest neighbors have a bigger support then them so does that make them a bigger club?

The way they constantly proclaim they have the best fans in the land makes me laugh, and what is hypocritical is how they moan about our support today yet they barely ever sell out at VP.

Don't get me started on the LAD culture up there, it seems if you don't go to the football for a scrap and to get hammered you're not a proper football fan.

Must be something in the water up there.

I like Sunderland. And its true, Sunderland fans can't be defined by a couple of posts on an Internet forum, just as Villa fans can't all be defined by the opening few posts in this thread.

Posted a few months ago but well said Rev.

What CI said.

They're a pretty non-offensive team really. Not gonna get relegated, not gonna get Europe, although they may flirt with the idea at some point of the season.

I think their signings this summer were pretty average to say the least. I don't think they're improved at all from last season, although that Sessignon looks a very good player. But they signed alot of average players for quite alot of money, and if it doesn't work out I can see Bruce being under a fair bit of pressure from the fans.

Â