Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Turning out to be a great goalkeeper, he is more vocal and he seems very confident as opposed to previous years. Another great attribute is that the defenders trust him, and that is how the defence starts working well together. When he played in the cups every once in a while, he missed a few crosses and then the defenders start to hesitate, leaving their positions to cover for him etc. He is amongst the 10 best goalkeepers in the league, even though the field is packed with great shotstoppers.

The save from Samba was very good, but it also would have been questionable if he didn't save it IMO. He has a lot of time to take it as it comes down and not directly at him from point-blank, although he did save it and it looks great on TV. The save from Zabaleta was much better as he has less time and has to do a more instinctive call, 8 out of 10 goalkeepers would never touch that ball, except for him and de Gea, who is the only better shotstopper I can think of in this league.

Good to see him back really, he could have been sick and tired of this club and environment, but it goes to show that he is a character after all. Something I doubted for a long while to be frank.

The save from Samba was very good, but it also would have been questionable if he didn't save it IMO. He has a lot of time to take it as it comes down and not directly at him from point-blank, although he did save it and it looks great on TV.

I'm not sure I've ever disagreed with anything more than this.

In my opinion the only way Guzan could top the Samba stopper would be if he repeated the Rene Higuita Scorpion kick.

rene-higuita-o.gif

I'd love to see Brad do this and think it would be well within his capabilities.

The save from Samba was very good, but it also would have been questionable if he didn't save it IMO. He has a lot of time to take it as it comes down and not directly at him from point-blank, although he did save it and it looks great on TV.

I'm not sure I've ever disagreed with anything more than this.

tumblr_lyszsigY141qm36c1o1_500.gif

• Like 1

Wow was it that controversial? It's not hard to pick a fight with people always seeking to hack at every post, also with awesome keyboard and GIF-skills... I surrender!

FWIW, it was a very good and important save, but when such a good keeper has time to react he is also going to make that save. Trickier when the shot or header is closer and hit more directly at goal, that's all, leaving only instinct to take the shot.

Wow was it that controversial? It's not hard to pick a fight with people always seeking to hack at every post, also with awesome keyboard and GIF-skills... I surrender!

Erm, all I said was that I disagreed with it, and Gaz agreed (in gif form)

If that's your idea of a fight then if you ever get caught in a pub brawl you're in for a hell of a shock!

But, fwiw, you're still definitely wrong... imo of course.

Edit: actually, I'm rescinding that "imo". You're just wrong ;)

Edited by Stevo985

I accept, and propose the following terms of your surrender:

1. I want all your gold.

2. And your ice-creams.

3. You will get to keep (and continue to reside in) any property you own, but I am hereafter permitted to use said property for business purposes i.e. for my museum of catfish that look like Lou Bega.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 2

I genuinely did not rate this guy a couple of seasons ago. I was petrfied to see him on team sheet, and could not believe lamberts decision to make him first choice. God how wrong I was.

Top man to by all accounts.

Huh? Guzan was never on Manure's books...surely you're thinking of Timmy Howard?

No, Guzan spent time with Manure when he was younger. Was passed over by a couple of other good teams aswell, before coming to us. They released him thinking he would not make the grade.

Citation needed.

From WhoScored - Brad Guzan has made 77 successful high claims this season, the most in the PL. Last season Shay Given made just 32.

And this is why Given should never play in goal while Guzan is around. 

I don't know mutch about goalkeeping, but what really amaze is that he's heading in the opposite direction yet he manages to react and reach it that far out? Amazing.

Yep great reactions.  He always used to look like he moved / bounced about far to much - which means that its easier to get caught going the wrong way or have less time to react - say if your half way up a bounce.  But he seems far more relaxed now, which came first this or the form? either way hes turning into a class keeper.

The guy's a beast. I think he's physically the best keeper in the league (world?)

notsureifserious!!!

:lol: Look, all I'm saying is if an evil billionaire organised a decathlon between the best keepers in the world, Guzan would win by ~500 points. He's a freak of nature.

Scratch this, I was wrong. He'd win by 500 points on the discus alone. Young Bradley would smash 10,000 points.

Zamora's reaction before he even saves it says it all imo. 

The reaction afterwards is great, too. He goes from raising his arm in celebration, not getting there because Brad gets his hand to the ball then he suddenly decides to point at something!

FWIW, it was a very good and important save, but when such a good keeper has time to react he is also going to make that save. Trickier when the shot or header is closer and hit more directly at goal, that's all, leaving only instinct to take the shot.

I always find that my initial full-speed reactions as I'm watching the game are correct. Seeing something happen before the replays complicate things enables your spacial judgement to work correctly.

I was watching that on a stream and as it left Samba's head I started to worry. As it went into the air it was on a perfect trajectory to go right in the top right hand corner, the type of header you see go in every _single_ time, because they're unsaveable, I knew 100% it was a goal, because you just never see them saved. If the keeper's positioned correctly, and the ball goes that far out of their reach then it's a goal. When Guzan managed to not only get something on it, but enough to push it round the post I was truly astounded. You can watch it over and over again on slow speed, but that takes the rapid judgement of the physics out of it. I'd recommend watching it from the front view at full speed and then say it's nothing special.

The save from Samba was very good, but it also would have been questionable if he didn't save it IMO. He has a lot of time to take it as it comes down and not directly at him from point-blank, although he did save it and it looks great on TV. The save from Zabaleta was much better as he has less time and has to do a more instinctive call, 8 out of 10 goalkeepers would never touch that ball, except for him and de Gea, who is the only better shotstopper I can think of in this league.

:lol:

you've not got any experience with being a keeper I'm guessing?

Â