Brad Guzan

R.Bear

In fairness to Shay, he's wanted to play every single game for Ireland since forever, with Roy Keane once calling him a "cap collector" and criticizing him for not giving anyone else a chance. I'm not sure how the balance of wages to playing time would work for Shay, if he was younger I'd be certain he wouldn't accept it but at the age he is, I am not so sure. Factor in the lack of potential suitors and it's a struggle to imagine where he could go? I'd hazard a guess at MLS.

People calling for Given to be sold? Maybe Brad needs another keeper breathing down his neck? Maybe Shay needed the same and now he's got it, will be busting a gut to get back in.

It's all about competition.

Think it's more a case of his wages and the fact he has just under 4 years left on his deal, everyone is in favour of increased competition.

It is literally unbelievable that we gave him a 5 year contract. This will be his last big move. He will lap up the cash and sit on the bench. 50k/week down the drain when Guzan is probably on about 10k.

If he'd wanted to do that he'd have done it at man city where he would have been a part of one of the biggest clubs in the world right now.

He has integrity, or at least I believe him to and if it pans out that he's not number 1 then my opinion is that he'll look to move on.

However, should he not move on he ain't a half bad number 2, albeit on high wages.

Get rid of given, no point having a backup keeper on 50k a week.

Who would buy him?

I think Given would probably have to take a massive pay cut so he probably won't want to move. We might have to sit him on the bench for 4 more years earning 50k a week.

he strikes me as the kind of chap who'll move if it means playing

I still worry about Guzan when it comes to dealing with crosses/corners/free kicks etc.

No different than Given, really. Just younger.

I was under the impression that he commands his area better then Given and he's a lot more aggressive when it comes to picking up crosses/corners/free kicks etc.

:confused:

It is literally unbelievable that we gave him a 5 year contract. This will be his last big move. He will lap up the cash and sit on the bench. 50k/week down the drain when Guzan is probably on about 10k.

If he'd wanted to do that he'd have done it at man city where he would have been a part of one of the biggest clubs in the world right now.

He has integrity, or at least I believe him to and if it pans out that he's not number 1 then my opinion is that he'll look to move on.

However, should he not move on he ain't a half bad number 2, albeit on high wages.

Yeah but he was still good then. He has a wretched Euro 2012 and continued that this season. No Premier League would want him as first choice anymore. Friedel is 41 and is playing as well as ever. Strange.

IN goal on merit and made 2 very good saves yesterday, probably the end for Shay at Villa unless Guzan has a few howlers and hopefully wont.

Credit to Lambert on this as takes a brave man to drop your No.1 goalkeeper

the beauty of having two very good keepers is that we have genuine competition.... lets get to january and see where we stand... shay had a shocker for one game, and brad's had two very good games... lots to go between now and then, so i personally think its way too early to be writing off one over the other...

the best thing PL has done at the moment, is create competition through the ranks in every position in a very quick time, for a limited amount of cash... quite brilliant!

Competition for keeper spots is really important. Look what has happened to Reina at Liverpool. Look at what Fergie is doing with De Gea and Lindergard.

Whether conscious or unconscious lack of competition often leads to a malaise and drop in performance.

Â