Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Another solid performance today and once against proving he has the quality to be a good if not great PL goalkeeper. However i think the real test for Guzan is once this 'honeymoon' period is over, when he is dropped or makes a mistake. Will be important that he responds well and performs as well as we now know he can.

Looks like we could save ourselves another 50k per week if he keeps this up.

If he keeps this up he will want and deserve 50k a week and we'll be looking to sell Given and bring in an understudy to Guzan.

Just signed a new contract though so it won't be any time soon. Still would save us some money in the end.

at half time in the Everton game, I turned to me mate and claimed that I could have stopped the Piennar goal. (I'd definately have stopped the Fellaini header).....Brad's save from Dyer today proved those are stoppable. Given wouldn't have got to that anymore.

Yes good point. From memory the Pienaar goal wasn't quite as high as the Dyer shot.

Given just dosen't have the spring or agility to save those type of shots anymore, Guzan does and he's much more commanding so he deserves to be number one.

I do think Given will look to move on otherwise he'd have just stayed at City as back up to Hart.

No idea who'd want to pick up his wages though.

Given would definitely not have saved that Dyer shot. Not only is Guzan more agile but he's also 3 inches taller, which makes all the difference. Fantastic performance once again and as good as Given was last season I can't see him getting back into the team for quite a while now.

Love the video clip on page before as it just shows the top corner and fingertips lol - what a save!

I was gutted when we let him go in the summer. Knew he was going to be a quality keeper. Thank god Lambert has sense and sorted that out quickly before he got snapped up

I remember going to an open training session at VP and Guzan and Friedel were going through their drills, and I remember asking myself why Guzan wasn't starting! His reflexes, speed and recovery were all on a diffrent level from Friedels! Friedel really looked he age in comparrison.

When it comes to Raw ability he's is top class, I think the problem with him has always been reading the game his kicking and communication. With Vlaar and Clark at the back who are both good communicators on the pitch its really helping him. Brad can concentrate on what he is good at, shot stopping. Also his kicking has improved a lot over the last 3 seasons. He is great on penalties as well.

Get rid of given, no point having a backup keeper on 50k a week.

Who would buy him?

I think Given would probably have to take a massive pay cut so he probably won't want to move. We might have to sit him on the bench for 4 more years earning 50k a week.

he is in the second year of a 3 year contract,

looked great yesterday - and those saves turned the match. Got to be honest I don't yet see him as our long term no 1 keeper - I don't know why just a hunch. However I hope he proves me wrong. He is still only young in terms of a goal keeper ...26 is he ?

Get rid of given, no point having a backup keeper on 50k a week.

Who would buy him?

I think Given would probably have to take a massive pay cut so he probably won't want to move. We might have to sit him on the bench for 4 more years earning 50k a week.

he is in the second year of a 3 year contract,

No, he is in the second year of a 5 year contract.

Aston Villa are delighted to confirm that Shay Given will be unveiled tomorrow as the club's new goalkeeper, having agreed a five-year deal to June 2016.

The 35-year-old Republic of Ireland international completed a medical over the weekend and the formality of his signing this morning.

Link

I am pretty sure that he took a pay cut per year to move to Villa, and thus we compensated with a longer contract so he would fetch the same amount.

Would think it will be harder to shift him now. Can see a loan from January if we pay some of the wage, then it would probably be up to him to play well and earn interest from some that can pay him a decent amount the next three years.

Â