Brad Guzan

R.Bear

I think in a similar vein to us taking given off Man City's hands when he was displaced by Joe Hart, the same thing might happen here and another team would be willing to take him in January if he's not regained his place.

I think in a similar vein to us taking given off Man City's hands when he was displaced by Joe Hart, the same thing might happen here and another team would be willing to take him in January if he's not regained his place.

If Julio Cesar has a couple of bad games, maybe Mark Hughes will take him of our hands :P

Had my doubts but think small Brad should be given a run of games, the thing I like is that he comes for corners and claims the ball to take a bit of pressure off the boys.

Yes I noticed that too in contrast to Given who often stays on his line.

Great save at the end too; new number 1 for the time being.

The guy's a beast. I think he's physically the best keeper in the league (world?), if he's learned well from Friedel and Given he could be incredible. We'll see how well he reacts to mistakes and pressure in the coming weeks, my hopes are most definitely high though.

Had my doubts but think small Brad should be given a run of games, the thing I like is that he comes for corners and claims the ball to take a bit of pressure off the boys.
I wouldn't be convinced yet, he's done that his whole career and in the past he's made a lot, a lot of cock ups doing it. Hopefully he's improved there now.

I think based on Sunday's game and the run of games he had last season his keeping has improved so much it's untrue. I remember him in those cup games against Blackburn a few seasons back and getting bullied around by the likes of Samba & co - he really seemed to struggle with the physical side of things. He seems to have eradicated that from his game completely and now commands his area so strongly as a forward you'd start think twice about challenging him for the ball.

His distribution is excellent, too.

It was a very strange decision he made to re-sign with us when he probably could have had his pick of teams in the Championship, but it seems the decision has been vindicated and Lambert has been true to his word about giving him a shot.

I hope he really kicks on now. There are some players that you really want to see succeed and Guzan is one of those for me. You can't help but love the way he goes about his stuff and he seems like a really good bloke & team-man who just loves being part of it.

I have to admit that I was a bit nervous when I saw that he was in the goal against Newcastle. He deserved the chance and Given deserved to be dropped, but I had my doubts. There was no need for that. He's obviously the kind of player that rise to the challenge and grabs his chances with both hands. This was the first time in Villa that he was the no1 because of being better. Before this game he had only played cup games and when Given was injured last season, and his response was excellent. He has to stay as no1 for the coming games, at least. And that will give Given a kick up his ass.

What happens if/when Guzan makes a bad mistake? Does he get dropped in favour of Given?

I like the fact that Lambert brought him in for the Newcastle game, but a firm number 1 needs to be established, and stood by, over the coming weeks.

I agree we do need to see him over a run of games, he also had a cracking game for us against Chelsea then seem to remember him making a mistake against Swansea the game after. But this time I think it's a huge boost for him knowing Given was dropped as the manager had total faith in him whereas before it was like your only in goal due to an injury.

Yep, I think he got a big confidence boost knowing that he was'nt just coming in off the back of an injury to Given. Still think he could be susceptible to the odd howler, but most goalkeepers probably are. Definitely more in command of his area than Shay as well and on Sundays performance he's got to start next time, if not get a longer run.

I remember him in those cup games against Blackburn a few seasons back and getting bullied around by the likes of Samba & co - he really seemed to struggle with the physical side of things.

I don't think he was struggling with the physical side at all in those games. That was a tactical naivety of thinking he could allow the likes of Samba to stand on his toes and crowd his area and just brush them aside when he needed. For the rest of his career he was probably able to do that but he learnt a valuable lesson which should really serve him well.

The guy's a beast. I think he's physically the best keeper in the league (world?)

notsureifserious!!!

:lol: Look, all I'm saying is if an evil billionaire organised a decathlon between the best keepers in the world, Guzan would win by ~500 points. He's a freak of nature.

Apart from all the great saves, a promising part of Guzans performance was his reaction to Ben Arfa's goal; he jumped up straight away and yelled at the defence/Holman for allowing him so much space to shoot. A sign of a vocal goalie wants to command his defence and stop goals with tactics rather than just his own hands.

Â