Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Very happy Lambert had the balls to drop Given today, would've had Guzan in from the start of the season.

Feel more confident with him in goal as he's more athletic (I'm not convinced Given would've reached the Cabaye free kick at the end) and comes off his line for high balls.

Good command of the area, better distribution of the ball apart from a few hick-ups (think he kicked the ball straight out for a throwing once), seemed to come and collect the ball in the air for the majority of corners etc. Crosses didn't really seem a threaten him in the air most of the time.

Also, I think what I liked most about the freekick save is that he got two hands on it and nearly caught it, which is definitely something I couldn't have seen Given do. I like Given, he's one of the best keepers the league has seen, but he may be a little past it to be starting every game. Guzan for number 1 and Given on the bench I reckon is the way forward, albeit based on the performances of the next few games I guess.

Guzan was superb today. I loved the way he was coming to claim everything. He really commanded his area today. Deserves to keep his place.

This.

I do feel for Given, but there's no room for sentiment from the manager's point of view and the keeper is a vital position. Shay's made a few mistakes and today Brad grabbed the opportunity.

I'd definitely leave him in the number one spot for Swansea, in fact if you're going to play on merit, how could he possibly drop him?!

Like others said, he absolutely commanded the area today. And not only coming for crosses, but when Newcastle would hit long passes or balls through into the box, Guzan never hesitated to come and claim the ball. Recently, Given has been hesitant to come claim balls and it has been costing us tbh.

and he's contracted until he's 40.
Nice one McLeish...

The price of getting Given was to offer him a long term contract. He's looked shaky since Euro2012. Only way I see him leaving is if one of the top sides has GK injuries and is desperate for a quick fix.

Well the story goes that Given had 3 years left on an £80k a week contract, so we took it over except spread over 5 years at a weekly age of £50k+.

He has had a very long career at the top and do think it's all down hill from here. For what it's worth I believe he kept us up last season but I would let him go in order to propel Guzan into number 1 spot.

A possible way out is his love for Celtic, he did say in an interview a few months back that it was a dream of his to play for Celtic so that MAY be an option, although could they afford his wages? Perhaps he'll take a massive pay cut...

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I agree Guzan is a good goalie and is better than a backup but now we have to see how he does for the next few weeks. Last year he proved he could be our #1 and if he does it again then we should be discussing offloading Given and those wages. Seigrest should be promoted.

Â