Catherine™

hogso

This is coming out on PS3 and Xbox in a week or so, in the US. There isn't an EU release date at the moment, though. I saw a few trailers a while ago and it looked like the oddest, weirdest, most intriguing game of this gen. It helps that it's the first venture into HD territory for the makers of one of my favourite game from last gen, Persona 4. So yes that basically means it is anime - the game, and looks theres so much fanservice uh I mean looks nice.

Catherine™ is an erotic horror puzzle-platformer adventure video game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Players will enter the life of Vincent Brooks, a 32-year-old man who finds himself caught by the irresistible attraction of the game's titular diversion. Vincent wakes up, hungover, next to a stunningly beautiful woman who isn't his girlfriend. This lands him in a predicament that occupies most men's dreams and nightmares. Did anything happen? Does he tell his longtime girlfriend, who's pressuring him to commit to her? Can he get away with stringing both women along? What will you choose to have Vincent do? Who will you choose to hurt? In life, cheating can ruin everything, but in the world of Catherine, it can also kill you.

Overview

Vincent really likes his girlfriend. Katherine's pretty, smart, and successful. Trouble is, now she's sat Vincent down for "the talk," and Vincent's spent his entire life trying to avoid long-term commitment. Since romantic complications are the last thing he wants to deal with, Vincent meets his friends for their regular night of drinks. Little does he know that he's about to be blindsided by a drop-dead sexy freight train named Catherine. When the morning comes, he's hungover in bed next to the most beautiful woman he's ever seen, unable to recall the previous night's events. Was it just harmless fooling around, he wonders, or did something more serious happen between them? Should he tell Katherine? Will he ever see Catherine again? Vincent's about to discover that stumbling on the stairway of love can turn into a horrific, fatal plummet...

Apart from that and a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYv4yY7b6-g, thats all the info there was on it for awhile, as Atlus asked Japanese players not to post any gameplay videos online, so as to avoid story spoilers.

The demo came out yesterday on the US PSN, and I played it today. It looks and sounds incredible, and the atmosphere acheived by the level of detail in the game is fantastic, very much like the Persona games. The main core of the gameplay revolves around you climing a tower during your nightmares, its a kind of puzzle that involves moving blocks around and the like. It appears to advance and introduce more gameplay mechanics as the game goes on though. The Japanese version had to have a patch released for 'super easy mode' as there were too many complaints that even 'easy' was too hard :lol:

There is a special edition being released in the US entitled the 'Love is Over' editon. Take a look at this package;

catherinedeluxePS3_glam.jpg

There's the game, the soundtrack, an art book, 2 posters, a pair of boxer shorts, a tshirt, a pillow case, and it all comes in a pizza box. The latter items are all featured in the game.

I've put in a pre-order for import, and look forward to playing Catherine™, it looks like no other game so far this gen so, that much is for sure. For that reason alone my interest is highly piqued. It also gives an insight into what Persona 5 may potentially look like... which is :shock:

Any other pervOOPS persons looking forward to this?

Just read up on it, still not really sure what it is. Platformer? Puzzle game? RPG? All three? Having the core game take place in some subconcious pseudo-reality sounds very Alice.

Well the subconsious psuedo reality aka. nightmares are basically a puzzle game. You climb a tower a block by block while the lowest levels slowly (or quickly at higher difficulties, I guess) fall away. You have to move blocks around to be able to keep climbing, and you're scored on how quickly/effiecently you do it. As I mentioned before though, the game introduces new mechanics as you go on it seems, so you're not just climbing a tower. There's sheep and pillows and uhm weird scenary. In the 2nd level of the demo there's this giant shadowy monster, which resembles Vincent's girlfriend. It has a fork, and if you climb too slow BLAMO. She squishes you into tiny bits with said fork, leaving your entails, etc. behind

The rest of the game appears to be sort of Heavy Rain-esque, where you choose how to respond and what to do which changes the story. In the demo you get a text from Katherine and can reply all sweety sweety, not so sweety sweety, or ignore it completely. You don't get to see the repercussions of your choice in the demo though.

Its similar to the Persona series in that during the day you do the social stuff and during the night you do the dungeon crawling. Although with Catherine™ it's a little different as he has nightmares when he day dreams during the day too.

Here's a nice vid that shows some gameplay and other parts of the game. In Jap with no subs though

It got 9 out of 10 on IGN

Heh, thought it would be a bit too exotic to get as high scores as this (certainly is for significant sales), but then what is a 9/10 on IGN really worth? Is that common? IGN is a site i have never followed

8.5 on gamespot

ign and gamespot are both pretty good, ign is usually slightly higher and rushes the reviews out quicker, what's that magazine that's not games tm that's the harshest and at the same time probably the best reviewer out there? Anyone know what they gave it?

Got it today, put a couple of hours into it. It's quality. The pacing is a bit awkward, with how you get chunks of story in an extended scene, but it's like Persona in that way (like alot of ways) so that's no problem for me. The only other thing is the audio levels, its a bit quiet during normal cut scenes and during gameplay, so you turn it up, and then the anime cut scenes ARE **** INCREDIBLY LOUD. Really enjoying it so far though, the gameplay is good, the social side of thngs is fun, the level of detail is immense, and as expected the cast of characters are just delightful. Plus it's really funny. I can not wait for the inevitable confrontation between Catherine and Katherine

The Bosses in the final stages of each 'level' (of which you do one per 'night' in the game) are incredibly original, again much like the Persona games. The 2nd one is a grotequse vagina-bum with giant eyes and lashing tongue-thing. You'll be pleased to know that there are also references to sticking it up Catherine's wrong un.

8.5 on gamespot

ign and gamespot are both pretty good, ign is usually slightly higher and rushes the reviews out quicker, what's that magazine that's not games tm that's the harshest and at the same time probably the best reviewer out there? Anyone know what they gave it?

That would be EDGE. They haven't reviewed it yet as far as I can tell.

Eurogamer gave it 9/10.

I've finished my first play through, did everything nicey-nicey and what I thought was 'right', but I only managed to save 2 of the regulars in the bar, so got to give saving them all another go. My ending was nice though, eager to see how much it differs from the other 7 ^_^

• 4 months later...

For anyone who is interested, Catherine™ is getting quite a nice UK Special Edition release at the start of Feb. The 'Stray Sheep' edition is probably better than the US 'Love is Over' edition I reckon - you get the game, a t-shirt worn in the game by Vincent, 2 stray sheep theme beer mats, a poster of Catherine, and it all comes in a pizza delivery box. T-shirt and mats > boxers and soundtrack tbh.

It's £50. I might buy it again for funsies as I really really enjoyed the game and need to go back to it at some point. Recommended for any puzzle-heads and anime nerds. If you like both I imagine you'd be jizzing all over your special edition pizza box

• 1 month later...

I played this game (my friend got the US release on his PS3 because it wasn't region encoded) and it's absolutely fantastic. It's out tomorrow for us in the UK and I just wanted to give my opinion on it if anyone was thinking of buying it.

The story is really quite something and contains things that are very meaningful and identifiable to everyone. That's not to say it isn't at the sametime ridiculous wacky and zany, but then again it is Japanese.

Gameplay is split into going around a bar, getting drunk and chatting to the patrons and your mates which unveil more of the story, but the fun really begins when you leave the bar and go to sleep. You get trapped in a nightmare world where you have to scale towers of blocks, pushing and pulling them to create ways up as the tower below crumbles away. If you die in the nightmare, you die in real life, well the game world's equivalent of real life, you know what I mean. It has that supernatural thing going for it too.

Anyways, I don't want to tell you guys much more, or maybe you already know about it, but I highly recommend getting it. It's a lot of fun and something a bit different too.

It's also highly sexualised so don't let your mum catch you playing it ;)

Â