Share dealing - merged

lapal_fan

I really want to buy some shares, have an accounting degree and there was a lot of finance modules in my course but I haven't a clue what the best way to actually go out and buy something is, we did a project in second year on share prices, mine was Paddy Power were about €14 a share then €58 now. :(

Me too! I did a personal finance module where we bought virtual shares online. Mine made massive gains but I've forgotten everything I learned about making money.  :unsure:

coda, on 11 Oct 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

but I've forgotten everything I learned about making money.  :unsure:

Buy Low , sell high  *

* Disclaimer , I am not a licensed FSA so please don't take the opinion offered as advice  ;)

I really want to buy some shares, have an accounting degree and there was a lot of finance modules in my course but I haven't a clue what the best way to actually go out and buy something is, we did a project in second year on share prices, mine was Paddy Power were about €14 a share then €58 now. :(

If you haven't bought shares before, i'd consider doing one of the fantasy share trading games for a couple of months to get the hang of it.

ender4, on 11 Oct 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

Folski, on 11 Oct 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

If you haven't bought shares before, i'd consider doing one of the fantasy share trading games for a couple of months to get the hang of it.

always easier though when it's not your money 

I played one of those and made fortunes as I took huge risks  .. risks I wouldn't have taken had it been my money :)

ender4, on 11 Oct 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

Folski, on 11 Oct 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

always easier though when it's not your money 

I played one of those and made fortunes as I took huge risks  .. risks I wouldn't have taken had it been my money :)

I'd start off very small though maybe €50 / €100 a week on something, I just want to know the best way to buy them you know?

I use Halifax online , pay £11.95 per deal

tbh €100 isn't worth it , the dealing fees will wipe out any profits you'll make

best bet if you want to do it yourself  would be to save that €100 each month until you have say €500 - €1000 and then go for the share route

otherwise stick it in an ISA each month and invest it that way

I use Halifax online , pay £11.95 per deal

tbh €100 isn't worth it , the dealing fees will wipe out any profits you'll make

best bet if you want to do it yourself  would be to save that €100 each month until you have say €500 - €1000 and then go for the share route

otherwise stick it in an ISA each month and invest it that way

Cheers Tony didn't realize that.

I've only ever done 1 shares deal. In about 2008 or 2009 I bought £500 worth of RBS shares after they had a big slump. They recovered and peaked at about £1000 eventually sold them for £850. I cashed them in when I moved house as I needed the money to fix some of the horrors the previous owners had left.

Â