Share dealing - merged

lapal_fan

Bonjour,

I've been interested for a few months in the stock market.

I have no experience, but over the last 6 months I have been keeping my eye on a few extremely cheap stocks which have all risen over time.

I have read quite a bit about the risks of trading and I think some people out there make it seem more risky than what it is.

I mean, its obvious that you do not risk what you cannot afford isn't it?

Anywho, my question is, has anyone had a dabble in penny stock or just regular stock?

It may be that your company does a stock based perk and you've made a few quid out of it.

I think I'd like to throw £200 at something and just see how it goes.

A lot of people, about 5 or 10 years ago went for the 'safe' option and bought some shares in banks.

However, nowadays only the top top banks are worth getting shares in.

Buy some shares in Villa :)

I haven't personally bought any shares, however back in the day I did work experience at a FTSE100 company called 3i, thats based by the NEC off the Cov Road. Not sure how they are doing nowadays though.

I'd buy shares in Apple. The iPhone 5 is due out soon and they they will probably sell a metric **** ton of iPads for Xmas. The share price will rise on the back of that, surely?

(edit:)

Apple share price on July 14th was 357.77

I'd buy shares in Apple. The iPhone 5 is due out soon and they they will probably sell a metric **** ton of iPads for Xmas. The share price will rise on the back of that, surely?

Unless it has already risen in expectation of the sales. If sales are high but don't quite make the metric **** ton then the share price will drop.

It depends on how much longer Steve Jobs lasts though.

He's surely not got that much longer, and his death could cause a major hit to their share price.

I'd also be weary about their market share, the only real way is down for them, and with both Android and Windows Mobile making strides it's not going to be too long before they have to drop prices to remain competitive. Their products are already over priced when you look at the market, surely it won't take much more for the consumer to look at what else is available as the alternative offerings get more and more competitive.

I bought £1k worth of shares in Lloyds bank at 54p when they crashed a few months ago.

they then fell further, so i bought another £1k worth of shares when they were 46p, making my average 50p.

i was thinking of buying another £1k at 42.5p to bring down my average further, but chickened out.

I also hold about £6k worth of Standard Life shares that i bought for 240p when they floated, went up to 300p, now worth about 205p.

but i do get very good dividends from them, so will hold them until the price goes up again.

I've been watching Monitise for a while. Almost took the plunge when they were 18p, then again when they were 26p.

They are now around 38p, so i think i missed the boat on that one.

i don't think i'm very good at this :(

I have no experience, but over the last 6 months I have been keeping my eye on a few extremely cheap stocks which have all risen over time.

I think I'd like to throw £200 at something and just see how it goes.

1) Which stocks were you watching?

2) try Halifax fantasy trader before you use real money, see what happens.

3) with £200 its not worth it, about £30 of that will go in buying & selling fees, so you'd need a big % increase to make money. i'd say £500 minimum in each trade.

4) Penny shares are risky, you might make a great profit, but you're just as likely to lose all your money. i prefer large companies where you're less likely to lose all your money.

GlaxoSmithKline.

at £13.40 a share i'm not sure his £200 investment will see a lot of return ??

I invested some money a few years back and split it over various shares ( even made money on the Villa takeover , bought at £2.19 , got out at £3.30 Thanks Randy :-) )

most of my purchases are based on picking up snippets on the news or forums or sensing that something is "good value" ..I.e I invested in BP just after the oil leak when the share priced plummeted ... currently up around £1.20 a share on that deal .. took a punt on RBS at 24p a share , sold at 45.93p just over 2 months later , took the gamble mainly on the basis that the Govt weren't going to let any banks fail

if I had to punt now something like BSkyB would be one that I would be doing my homework on ... recently £8.50 a share now trading at £6.99 a share ... read up on them and try and figure are the shares likely to dip a bit further and then you can get in and invest for long term or work out if the share price will have a short term spike / rally on Pension funds and other speculators snapping up at what they feel is a good price and making a quick profit .. and if you find the secret and can get it right each time then put it in a bottle and sell it :-)

of course not all deals return a profit but hopefully your good deals will outweigh your bad ones ... the trick is not to get carried away and invest money you can't afford to lose ... Usually i set an out price and I am very good at sticking to it , a small profit in the bank is better than a huge paper profit that then disappears overnight

good advice there tony :) thanks.

absolute newbie question coming up, so be warned..

How do you actually buy stocks? Do you call up the exchange and give them your bank details?? Or can you do it in on a website?

absolute newbie question coming up, so be warned..

How do you actually buy stocks? Do you call up the exchange and give them your bank details?? Or can you do it in on a website?

You can do it all online.

I use the Halifax one which charge £11.95 per trade, and no ongoing fee. Its one of the cheaper ones. Just register, and then you can transfer money into your share dealing account by BACS or debit card.

Lots of different companies/banks offer the same service.

Once registered, you just type in what you want to buy/sell, and then it gives you a quote. You then have 15 seconds to accept it or not.

I use the Halifax

ditto

I don't bank with them but they used to take the money from your bank account when you traded but now you have to have deposited the funds into your Share deal account before you can buy ... so you either have to leave some cash in your account for impulse buys or transfer some money wait until it reaches the Halifax and then purchase your shares ...

Don't buy anything until the US raises it's debt ceiling. The deadline is August 2nd and it's dragging on, the closer we get to that deadline the more jittery the market will get and the higher the odds that prices will plummet.

Ding Ding. On the nose. With so much bad news around the corner in the US and the Euro, the markets are bound to lose confidence and correct downwards. Its just a matter of time. Wait for it to happen then go in.

Â