Stephen Warnock

KSV

This "he doesn't become a crap player overnight" nonsense keeps coming up time and time again.

He was never good enough - fact.

Just about everyone on here were very happy when we signed him a few years ago, fact. So hindsight is bitch of course. He is quite poor now I would agree, but Martin Olsson is certainly lightyears above him. He would be a new signing and everyone have hope in new players, but he is hardly a huge step in the right direction if any.

I wasn't one of them. My Housemate at the time was a Rovers fan, so I used to watch them quite a lot, he used to get rinsed all the time then. I remember saying £7 million is rediculous. But for the first 3-4 months he was pretty good, but form is tempoary, he's always been poor, and another awful Martin O'Neil signing.

Id prefer warnock at left back than baker. Poor management imo. What if we dont sell and villa have a defensive injury crisis? We would have to reinstate him into the team. Hope his sale goes through sooner rather than later.

I wonder if a deal is so strong that Lambert can afford to take such a bold move?

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert makes Stephen Warnock train with reserves

Stephen Warnock has been told to train with Aston Villa’s reserves as Paul Lambert steps up his attempts to sell the England international.

Warnock is free to leave Villa before the transfer window closes and has suffered further humiliation just two years after he travelled to the World Cup as part of Fabio Capello’s England squad.

Lambert, the Aston Villa manager, wants the defender’s £40,000-a-week wages off the books and has made him train with the club’s youngsters this week, telling Warnock he made his decision because he wants to freshen up the squad.

Gérard Houllier condemned Warnock to the same treatment during his spell at Villa Park and Lambert is keen to agree a deal before the window shuts next week. Villa have already inquired about Ipswich Town’s Aaron Cresswell as a potential replacement.

Sunderland and Blackburn have expressed an interest in signing Warnock, who has two England caps, in the past few weeks. Martin O’Neill, the Sunderland manager, signed him at Villa for £8 million from Rovers in 2009 and is keen to recruit a new left-back after Kieran Richardson made it clear he wants to leave.

Warnock had an impressive first season at Villa under O’Neill and was even regarded as a genuine rival to Ashley Cole for the left-back spot with England. O’Neill is expected to make a move next week.

Warnock’s former club, Blackburn, are also monitoring developments and want to strike a loan deal but are under pressure to sell Martin Olsson, the Sweden international, before progressing with a move.

Villa are still yet to receive any concrete offers and would prefer to offload the 30 year-old permanently but would settle for a loan arrangement if a club can agree to take on a proportion of his wages.

Scotland international Alan Hutton is also surplus to requirements under Lambert, just a year after his £4million arrival from Spurs. Hutton was left at home during Villa’s pre-season tour of the United States and has been told he can go but his wages are also expected to be prohibitive.

Warnock and Hutton were both left out of the squad for Villa’s game at West Ham last weekend and are both set to receive the same fate for the game against Everton on Saturday.

Clicky

surely Alan Shittun's wages can't be that prohibitive as he was signed during a time we were trying to bring wages under control

Could be good news for all concerned. Don't like seeing players getting abuse like him, he was always a grafter, just seemed to be massively lacking fitness these last few seasons.

There was a time before the League Cup final when I was pretty damn happy with our back 4.

Oh well, things have changed, time to move on!

surely Alan Shittun's wages can't be that prohibitive as he was signed during a time we were trying to bring wages under control

James Nursey was saying a week or two ago his wages are 30k and that was tyhe trouble in shifting...I was shocked to say the least because I thought the same, that in a time when we cut wages, why the hell was Hutton on 30 feckin grand a week??

Seems a bit harsh to make the guy train with the reserves (I presume that means the kids now there is no reserve team?).

Unless he has done something wrong in Lambert's time here leading to this punishment I don't see why he can't stay with the rest of the lads until he has secured a move away?

40k a week is ridiculous for Warnock, what worries me even more is the idea of replacing him with Cresswell. Scraping for these lower league players looks like we're not just lowering the wage bill, we're setting ourselves for a promotion battle next year. Two young full backs with no top flight football experience is a mockery.

£30k is £29k too much for Hutton but in the scheme of things with him brought in to be 1st choice RB he was

lowest paid of the back 4 and considering Luke Young was on £42k going out it was a significant saving.

I do not think it is that bad putting him in reserves if PL does not want to use him. Houllier did it, but because he did not want Warnock around the first team and never had a real opportuntity to shift him. PL is presumably doing it to send a crystal clear message that there is no place for him in the first team and he wants to play first team football he better sure as hell get his agent sorting a move soon. And tbh I think it will work because I do not see Warnock being like Beye in that he is happy just collecting his wages every week and not playing. Reckon as soon as MON moves on Richardson, Warnock is definitely his target, so until then we wait.

£30k is £29k too much for Hutton but in the scheme of things with him brought in to be 1st choice RB he was

lowest paid of the back 4 and considering Luke Young was on £42k going out it was a significant saving.

Which is now in the process of being brought down to the £10k-£15k that Lowton is probably on as our new first choice RB, and Cresswell will probably be on a similar wage as our new first choice LB if we get him.

So if we say Warnock and Hutton are on a combined £70k, we're probably going to be saving between £40k-£50k a week if we do sign Cresswell and flog those two.

This wage saving stuff is great business for Lerner, but bad business for Aston Villa, we should be trying to bring in top flight quality players not more unproven youngsters that we already have.

Â