Stephen Warnock

KSV

I disagree - he does have ability and has played very well for us in the past but he seriously lacks consistency and when he's bad, he's awful.

Ok. Somewhere deep down there is ability that we have seen. However, he will never regain it at villa as his confidence is shot to pieces.

I disagree - he does have ability and has played very well for us in the past but he seriously lacks consistency and when he's bad, he's awful.

Ok. Somewhere deep down there is ability that we have seen. However, he will never regain it at villa as his confidence is shot to pieces.

This is spot on, he'll never regain his confidence whilst he's a Villa player. He's not a bad player, nowhere near as bad as some claim, and those that are quick to slate him can't offer praise when it's due.

Read on the mail website that we are offering Warnock plus 2.5m to Blackburn for Martin Olsson. Would be great if accepted and if it's true that is.

Edit: just seen the dedicated topic to said offer, that teaches me for not reading properly :oops:

Some of the criticism is a bit harsh but he should get no points for efforf anymore. Ability wise he is poor and needs to be replaced.

nobody is saying he isnt poor and im not a fan of his ability myself but people saying he is making no effort and deliberately scoring Own Goals is talking rubbish

I've always thought he was a busy, industrious kind of player, with the capacity to pull one great tackle out of the locker every now and again. But, for me, his judgement seems to have gone west and you almost wait for the inevitable free-kick, whch HAS cost us goals and games.

I don't know the reason for that, because players simply don't become crap overnight. But, if he is'nt up to the job anymore, then he needs to go and the money provided for someone who can.

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert makes Stephen Warnock train with reserves

Stephen Warnock has been told to train with Aston Villa’s reserves as Paul Lambert steps up his attempts to sell the England international.

Warnock is free to leave Villa before the transfer window closes and has suffered further humiliation just two years after he travelled to the World Cup as part of Fabio Capello’s England squad.

Lambert, the Aston Villa manager, wants the defender’s £40,000-a-week wages off the books and has made him train with the club’s youngsters this week, telling Warnock he made his decision because he wants to freshen up the squad.

Gérard Houllier condemned Warnock to the same treatment during his spell at Villa Park and Lambert is keen to agree a deal before the window shuts next week. Villa have already inquired about Ipswich Town’s Aaron Cresswell as a potential replacement.

Sunderland and Blackburn have expressed an interest in signing Warnock, who has two England caps, in the past few weeks. Martin O’Neill, the Sunderland manager, signed him at Villa for £8 million from Rovers in 2009 and is keen to recruit a new left-back after Kieran Richardson made it clear he wants to leave.

Warnock had an impressive first season at Villa under O’Neill and was even regarded as a genuine rival to Ashley Cole for the left-back spot with England. O’Neill is expected to make a move next week.

Warnock’s former club, Blackburn, are also monitoring developments and want to strike a loan deal but are under pressure to sell Martin Olsson, the Sweden international, before progressing with a move.

Villa are still yet to receive any concrete offers and would prefer to offload the 30 year-old permanently but would settle for a loan arrangement if a club can agree to take on a proportion of his wages.

Scotland international Alan Hutton is also surplus to requirements under Lambert, just a year after his £4million arrival from Spurs. Hutton was left at home during Villa’s pre-season tour of the United States and has been told he can go but his wages are also expected to be prohibitive.

Warnock and Hutton were both left out of the squad for Villa’s game at West Ham last weekend and are both set to receive the same fate for the game against Everton on Saturday.

Clicky

This "he doesn't become a crap player overnight" nonsense keeps coming up time and time again.

He was never good enough - fact.

Just about everyone on here were very happy when we signed him a few years ago, fact. So hindsight is bitch of course. He is quite poor now I would agree, but Martin Olsson is certainly lightyears above him. He would be a new signing and everyone have hope in new players, but he is hardly a huge step in the right direction if any.

Â