Murdoch Scum

snowychap

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

Aside from the very good reasons already given, there's one that covers another aspect.

In the mid 1980s a bunch of people started a new paper, called the Independent. It really took off. It was genuinely Independent and ground breaking. It didn't cover the Royal Family, any celebrity crap, refused to pring stuff provided through political lobbyists off the record, had great photography, good reporters and columnists etc. etc.

It took off so much its circulation was taking readers from the Times (a Murdoch paper). So using revenue he sold the Times at a loss, dropping the price from (IIRC) around 50p per day, to 20p a day. He could absorb the losses. So either the Indie had to also sell at a loss, or stay at it's profitable 50p price and lose readers...and make a loss due to reduced circulation.

He "won". He essentially turned the Indie from a profitable, quality paper into a loss making, cost cutting, struggling paper, through market rigging and anti-competitive practices in my view. It's a shameful example of a wider disregard for any kind of playing fair and use of influence with Governments to avoid action being taken that might harm his financial interests.

The story of how he got to own the Times is another example of his using influence to get the Witch to let him buy it.

He's a poisonous, odious charachter.

This and breaking the print unions with the full blessing of Thatcher. Scumbag.

• Like 4

The signs were there when he sold out on his citizenship. If Greed was a nationality, he would be the poster boy.

Thanks @VILLAMARV It takes of emotional energy to put all of that terrible history together. Fair play - I wouldn't have the stomach for it. 

I don't think it can be overstated what a poisonous, divisive & destructive force the S*n & the NOTTW have been to English society since the early 1980's.

All drip fed to the British public with a bit of 'saucy Sam Fox' T&A on the side. Disgusting rag and the Murdoch's can rot in hell.

• Like 2

At 16 I wrote my first letter to a newspaper. It was the sun regarding the elton john story. They replied with the truth will out. He made them pay. words removed. 

I'd recommend listening to the Untold podcast for an idea of how grim the Sun and it's stablemate have been.

The Sun is responsible for a lot of how poisonous discourse in this country is. Alongside the Heil.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'd recommend listening to the Untold podcast for an idea of how grim the Sun and it's stablemate have been.

The Sun is responsible for a lot of how poisonous discourse in this country is. Alongside the Heil.

I would definitely second that too.

As a podcast it can be quite slow and/or repetitive at times I find but if ever there was a story for a podcast it is the Daniel Morgan murder.

My main issue with the podcast is it often felt like an advert for the book. Which it is of course, but still.

Anywho, Murdoch... Complete scum.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 2

I also hated the way the most anti-gay paper of the lot of them ran 'King Freddie' style headlines upon his death. Profiteering morally redundant words removed.

Of course, if you had a paper round in the 80's you knew where all the bigots lived :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Is this the link?

http://www.untoldmurder.com/

I'm guessing it's not this https://www.untoldpodcast.com/  :D

ENGAGING THE CULTURE'S IMAGINATION . . . 

. . . the Untold Podcast presents free speculative fiction every month from a Christian worldview.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

Is this the link?

http://www.untoldmurder.com/

I'm guessing it's not this https://www.untoldpodcast.com/  :D

It's definetly the first one. The second is recommend burning from the internet.

It concerns the murder of a private investigator in London in the late 80s. It's a very interesting story. It takes a while for the Murdoch press to get involved but worth sticking with (and through the horrible ads).

You'll come away liking them even less.

• Like 2

He's largely responsible for the dumbing down of print media, for celebrity lead news. He was the first of the British press to shorten paragraphs and lengthen lenses, the first of the voyeurs. He'd call it populism, the breaking down of class. We used to watch hour long interviews with political figures and it was assumed that we'd be able to understand and follow,  through his influence we now have TOWIE. Murdoch has used the media to make children of us all for his own profit and the interest of those who prefer consumers to citizens.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Breitbart.

It just appeared on my twitter feed.  From someone else,  I don't  follow it.  :blush:

Investigators from the European Union Commission have raided the offices of billionaire media mogul Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox UK offices and have seized computers and other documents.

The exact nature of the investigation is currently unknown, as is the reason behind the raid, which took place on Tuesday evening in the Hammersmith offices of 21st Century Fox the Telegraph reports.

According to sources within the building who spoke to the Telegraph, the EU Commission investigators told employees working in the office to not talk about the raid and that the investigators will likely continue to gather more evidence and information over the next day or two.

While no official announcement of the investigation has been made, some have speculated that the incident may tie into the recent attempt of Murdoch and Fox to acquire Sky News in the UK. The EU investigators have the ability to conduct raids if they believe that a corporation may be engaged in price fixing or abusing their dominant position within the market.

10 hours ago, peterms said:

Breitbart.

It just appeared on my twitter feed.  From someone else,  I don't  follow it.  :blush:

Nothing will happen to him, he escaped jail for all those phone hacking scandals. I have little to no faith that scumbag will ever be brought to justice  

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read the thread, he basically tears them a new one.

Daily Mail caught copying from and adding false facts to fascist fake news websites. Who'd have thought it.

Trouble is, you're average Daily Mail reader won't want the real facts. They'll be happy to have been reassured in their own ignorance that a French town of 100,000 has 300,000 illegal immigrants setting up their own jihadi courts and banning christmas.

There will be the usual handful of suspects on this forum that will decide there must be a basic truth in the article, 'they wouldnt just make it up'.

Â