Murdoch Scum

snowychap

I've cancelled my sky subscription. I won't be renewing either further down the line either. I've got BT sport for 6 months free with my new phone contract so I'll activate that come September and hope for the best. 

To be frank I've never really liked Sky. It's a top 4 fan club with very few people that know their stuff well apart from the ex players. I can't stand Kammy either.

• Like 2

Karen Bradley: Stop Murdoch's Sky takeover

Here's the letter:

Dear Karen Bradley, Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport:

We know you’re “minded-to” refer Murdoch's Sky TV bid for a full investigation by the CMA. We hope you’ll follow through and make sure this deal isn't pushed through behind closed doors.

The British public care about having a diverse media. We don’t believe that Rupert Murdoch should be given more control over our news.

Signed,

Thousands of citizens of the United Kingdom

38 Degrees

Sign to needle the rocket polisher.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

James Murdoch warns No 10 not to shun Fox's Sky bid in Brexit run-up

Fox chief executive says leaving the EU means it is more important than ever for Britain to attract investment

James Murdoch has issued a stark warning to the government not to turn its back on 21st Century Fox’s bid for Sky as the UK prepares to leave the European Union, claiming Brexit makes it more important than ever that the country attracts investment.

Murdoch said he was looking forward to going through the regulatory process on the deal if the UK “truly is open for business” and also defended his track record as chief executive and chairman of Sky, saying that “has to count for something”.

The chief executive of Fox and son of Rupert Murdoch was speaking at the Royal Television Society convention in Cambridge after Karen Bradley, the culture secretary, confirmed that the government was referring the Fox and Sky deal to the Competition and Markets Authority on the grounds of media plurality and broadcasting standards, dealing a blow to the Murdochs.

Murdochs' Sky bid isn't the slam dunk it looked a month ago.

However, in comments that will be interpreted as a warning to the government, Murdoch said: “There is a huge opportunity for companies and countries willing to act decisively and capitalise on the economic and social benefit that this industry can create. Inward investment in the UK creative economy and the positive signal it sends to companies around the world is more important than ever as the UK prepares to chart its course outside the EU.

Grauniad

On 6/30/2017 at 13:21, Rugeley Villa said:

I don't, please tell me.....

Ruiners of the beautiful game, lickers of the top 4's ringpieces, panderers to the couch potatoes. In other words, words removed.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sky has threatened to shut down Sky News apparently if the news channel proves to be a major stumbling block in the takeover bid by Murdoch/21st century Fox.

Given the choice between the Murdochs owning Sky News and it ceasing to exist I'll take the latter every time. I really can't believe given all that has happened that giving the Murdochs more influence hasn't already been thrown out.

• Like 1

Sky News loses large amounts of money every year so this is a cost-free 'threat' (which might make it more credible).

FWIW, I actually think Sky News has improved significantly in recent years and is probably better than the BBC in many ways. 

• Like 1

The BBC can’t win, it’s become a political football. It gets accused of bias by both sides. Listen to a Tory and it’s full of left wing revolutionaries, listen to Labour and it’s being run by right wing reactionaries. Truth is, it’s full of people with a full range of opinions. What it really needs is to be left alone by politicians, trouble is politicians will never say that. If it was left alone, it would serve its unbiased function very well but the continual interference by politicians means it gets pulled from its true path in both directions always trying to please the politicians. As usual politicians make something worse to further their own ends

• Like 3

Sky news has been very politically neutral since the election. It's far better than the BBC with the Tory old boys propping up the political news. It'd be a shame to only have channel 4 news left as the balanced reporter.

• 4 weeks later...
Â