Murdoch Scum

snowychap

murdoch looks like a right arrogant prick

the way he was banging on the table during the questions was a man who doenst like to be questioned. i suspect he will survive he is too powerful

only way will be if everyone boycotts his papers and sky

4 GB of News International emails are about to be exposed to sunlight by @Lulzsec. This will be HUGE

Isn't there a certain amount of irony in the outrage at people being hacked then turning to excitement at the thought of hacking the hackers?

Surely the irony is that the hackers were hacked.Taste of their own medicine so to speak.

Once they go to the criminal side of things then people like the Murdoch's, The Police, Cameron and Brooks deserve no protection at all. They knew the risks but I doubt they thought about this type of attack in regard of the emails. Must be nice for them waiting for these to come out. Comedy gold really.

Looks like Louise Mensch was Lying about Piers Morgan

Wednesday 20 July 2011

5:50 pm

FactCheck with Cathy Newman

The claim

“Piers Morgan – now a celebrity anchor on CNN – said openly in his book, which, clearly, was published before this controversy broke, that he had hacked phones. He said that he won scoop of the year for a story about Ulrika Jonsson and Sven-Goran Eriksson. He actually gave a tutorial in how one accesses voicemail by punching in a set default code. Clearly, from the account that he gives, he did it routinely as editor of the Daily Mirror.”

Louise Mensch MP, Culture Select Committee hearing on phone hacking, 19 July 2011

The background

A smiling Louise Mensch leant into CNN‘s camera last night to tell Piers Morgan she was “perfectly content with everything (she) said in the Select Committee, without the need for review”.

It was the taunting end to an extraordinary, heated exchange, which saw Morgan battling potentially career-crucifying comments.

Piers Morgan said: “As she may now be aware, she came out with an absolute blatant lie in the proceedings…what she did today was a deliberate and outrageous attempt to smear my name, CNN’s name, The Daily Mirror’s name and I think her now to have the breathtaking gall to just sit here calmly…”

But Mensch (pictured, right) said: “I feel no need to apologise”.

During the hearing, Mensch said Morgan was “very open about his personal use of phone hacking” in his book. She claimed he boasted about using the little trick to win Scoop of the Year in 2003 and that it was this casual attitude that “was part of the general culture of corruption in the British tabloid press”.

It’s not the first time that MPs have thrown the net wider than the News of the World in this scandal, but do the other red tops deserve this flak? And is Mensch right about Morgan, or is it a smear?

The analysis

FactCheck has dug out a copy of The Insider – which was first published in 2004. According to Morgan’s entry on 18 April 2002, the Scoop of the Year – the affair between England manager Sven Goran Eriksson and Ulrika Jonsson – was brought to him by his “new news supremo” Richard Wallace (current editor of The Mirror).

Morgan says he put a call in to Jonsson’s agent Melanie Cantor, who coughed up after he “put it to her straight”, but other than that he offers no details on how Wallace got the story.

Yet, continuing to take his book at face value, Morgan had known about the practice of phone hacking for more than a year. He does mention phone hacking, albeit just once, in his book – on January 26, 2001 (pictured below).

He explained he was mystified as to how a story hit the press about him being investigated by the Department of Trade and Industry over insider trading.

He wrote: “But someone suggested today that people might be listening to my mobile phone messages. Apparently, if you don’t change the security code that every phone comes with then anyone can call your number and, if you don’t answer, tap in the four digit code to hear all your messages. I’ll change mine just in case but it makes me wonder how many public figures and celebrities are aware of this little trick.”

So yes, Mensch is right that he gives his readers a tutorial in phone hacking, but this is quite blatantly not an open admission from Morgan that he hacked phones, routinely or at all.

It does however prove he was aware of it. And if he knew, how many others did?

This is what Mensch wanted to know, when she put it to James Murdoch that everyone was at it.

Mensch based her argument on the findings of Operation Motorman, the original investigation into private eye Steve Whittamore, who was convicted of passing information obtained from the police national database to newspapers.

In 2006, an overview of the Operation – What Price Privacy Now? – the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), listed the publications whose journalists were “customers” of Whittamore.

Daily Mail journalists topped the list, with 58 journalists identified as dealing with Whittamore on 952 different occasions. Tot up all the titles however, and Trinity Mirror trumps the Daily Mail and General Trust (DMGT) – with 1,692 dealings with Whittamore. Of the 305 journalists involved in the case, 117 worked for Trinity Mirror titles and 98 for the DMGT.

The Press Complaints Commission, which has been described by Lib Dem MP Adrian Sanders as a “fishnet condom” for complaints, told FactCheck that to date it has received just one official complaint over phone hacking, and that was dropped.

Mr Sanders told the Commons earlier this month: “We need to extend this beyond News International. Operation Motorman highlighted that it was the Daily Mail that was the most prolific in the trade of illicit personal information, while the Mirror under the auspices of Piers Morgan is suspected for example of using voicemail interception to reveal Sven Goran Eriksson’s affair with Ulrika Jonsson.”

The verdict

Piers Morgan is big enough and ugly enough to fight his own battles. But in the absence of any confession to phone hacking in his book, FactCheck can’t let Louise Mensch skip off into the sunset with her cloak of parliamentary privilege flapping in Morgan’s face.

Under parliamentary privilege, MPs have the right to say whatever they like in the House and they can’t be sued for libel for doing so.

But will she say it without that protection? Mensch has refused. Instead she refers America’s journalists to what she said in the Select Committee.

Perhaps they’ll get past her whoppers about Morgan’s book and pick up on her wider point: sniffing out corruption beyond News International’s gates.

Could this trail lead to The Mirror? Trinity Mirror says its position is clear: “Our journalists work within the criminal law and the PCC code of conduct”.

Yet David Cameron himself said in the Commons today: “I wouldn’t be surprised if the Mirror has to answer questions soon”.

By Emma Thelwell

So what's her game then? Deflection, making a name for herself, be in her bonnet about the Mail and others hacking her"?

I suspect her point is that she knows other papers, including the Mail and Mirror were at it too. The purpose of her question to the Murdochs was to see if they would play the "it wasn't just us" card - as a ploy. Because if they had said that - and it might be human nature to do so when accused of something of which you are guilty (see MPs expenses) she could have then gone on to "who else was it and how do you know?" It was absolutely a good question to ask, and as she has extremely strong reason to believe that the Mirror and Mail were at it a fair one, too.

she has extremely strong reason to believe that the Mirror and Mail were at it a fair one, too.

Operation Motorman in 2009 requested Information Commissioners Office files which contained 4,000 requests from 300 journalists and 31 publications for confidential information from a private investigator, which in many cases had been obtained illegally.”

1600 requests were from Trinity Mirror Group

1200 from Associated Newspapers

400 from News international

200'ish from the Guardian and the Express

can only assume the Mirror and the Mail will be hauled up before Parliament before too long ?

or as i said from the off it was no coincidence of the timing of all this , and conspiracy nutjob i may be but there clearly appears to have been political motivation about this ....

Yes but there could be a rather underhand reason for there being such a low number of NI files, we've already seen a fair degree of lying from the powers that be over NI and phone hacking.

Yes but there could be a rather underhand reason for there being such a low number of NI files, we've already seen a fair degree of lying from the powers that be over NI and phone hacking.

those figures are from 2009 , so if someone was burying it then it does show it is a cross party issue

can only assume the Mirror and the Mail will be hauled up before Parliament before too long ?

Dacre was asked questions about hacking the other day when in front of a parliamentary committee on another matter.

I doubt you'll see anyone in front of a committee for at least six and a half weeks.

I'd guess, however, that if the Mail and Mirror had been implicated in the Mulcaire info (and the stuff that the police apparently had all along), that they, too, would have been asked questions this (and last) week.

..there clearly appears to have been political motivation about this ....
I don't think so. Certainly it's not "clear". I mean who would benefit? Cameron and the Tories? Labour? The Police? The press?

The only winners are the innocent

those figures are from 2009 , so if someone was burying it then it does show it is a cross party issue

Those numbers weren't buried - they were published by the grauniad in 2009 - It was all part of the same investigation by nick davies, and I'm quite sure someone posted them on VT as well.

re: motivation - grauniad bringing down murdoch is enough - I doubt it's party political as punch was just as bad as judy, just that punch has now got a new job as peace envoy

re: timing - it had to come out some time - at any time it would have caused the same problems - releasing the info during or before the dowler trial could have caused the ire of judges. The police were never going to release any information on dowler, or the sohams or hacking dead soldiers relatives. So I would judge the timing to have been as soon as possible without giving belfield someone else to accuse.

those numbers weren't buried - they were published by the grauniad in 2009

Bicks was suggesting the actual number of NI hackings were buried not the actual numbers being released themself

at any time it would have caused the same problems

so in essence it could have come out anytime since 2009 but just happened to come out now in time to derail the BskyB bid ... funny that

at any time it would have caused the same problems
so in essence it could have come out anytime since 2009 but just happened to come out now in time to derail the BskyB bid ... funny that
Sky launched their bid in June 2010. The information re: dowler, soham, soldiers, 7/7 victims was uncovered by the weeting enquiry that only kicked off in January 2011. Between 2009 (yates failure) and weeting, the only people who had that information were newscorp and the dodgy cops covering up for or lying to yates. So if that information had been released by operation weeting at any time it would have derailed the bid .

so... does anyone believe a word that has been said by the police, media moguls or politicians over the last few days? They lie, lie again, then lie a little more. If all these highly paid people at the top of their industry "didn't know" what was happening on their watch then **** knows how they ever got into these positions.

The amount of 'co-incidences' is also staggering. At what point does repetitive behaviour (corruption) stop becoming a coincidence?

And if one more of them says "yes, with hindsight..." Corrupt, bent rocket polishers the lot of 'em.

Â