Murdoch Scum

snowychap

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but Wikileaks apparently have a massive file on Murdoch that they stated would be released if anything happened to Assange. Intriguing....

Julian Assange. What a lovely man.

He has his uses.

There will be a lot of people out there with twitchy arses wondering and waiting from a knock on the door early in the morning, unless of course they're in the right lodge.
fixed

There will be a lot of people out there with twitchy arses wondering and waiting from a knock on the door early in the morning, unless of course they're in the right lodge.
fixed
Spot-on.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but Wikileaks apparently have a massive file on Murdoch that they stated would be released if anything happened to Assange. Intriguing....

Julian Assange. What a lovely man.

He has his uses.

I am sure he has. But I think the recent PBS documentary and various items in Private Eye, suggest he’s not quite as he would like us to perceive.

This thread is very much about “morals” and “legality”. I wonder how Assange measures up to these?

Police are investigating evidence that a News International executive may have deleted millions of emails from an internal archive, in an apparent attempt to obstruct Scotland Yard's inquiry into the phone-hacking scandal.

The archive is believed to have reached back to January 2005 revealing daily contact between News of the World editors, reporters and outsiders, including private investigators. The messages are potentially highly valuable both for the police and for the numerous public figures who are suing News International.

According to legal sources close to the police inquiry, a senior executive is believed to have deleted 'massive quantities' of the archive on two separate occasions, leaving only a small fraction to be disclosed. One of the alleged deletions is said to have been made at the end of January this year, just as Scotland Yard was launching Operation Weeting, its new inquiry into the affair.

It's that lone rogue reporter again. He certainly gets around.

There has been some uncertainty about whether Ofcom can take a view on whether a broadcaster is a "fit and proper person" in relation to the Murdoch takeover of BSktB.

They have today clarified the point.

They say they have a continuing duty to consider whether a person (including directors and shareholders) remains a fit and proper person to hold a broadcasting licence.

They have today clarified the point.

They have, today, sought to give themselves the requisite amount of wriggle room (or should it be wiggle room?) if the government try to lay the blame on them - that's how I read that, anyway:

Proposed acquisition by News Corporation of the shares in BSkyB it does not already own

In relation to the proposed acquisition by News Corporation of the shares in BSkyB it does not already own, Ofcom provided its advice to the Secretary of State on the undertakings proposed by News Corporation in lieu of a reference to the Competition Commission on 22 June 2011. The Secretary of State is currently consulting for a further short period. If he asks Ofcom for any further advice, we will of course provide advice in accordance with the terms of any request.

Fit and proper

It is not for Ofcom to investigate matters which properly lie in the hands of other authorities, such as the police and the criminal or civil courts, and clearly we cannot and should not act whilst allegations are unsubstantiated.

Some interesting stuff on the Grauniad:

Renault has become the first advertiser to publicly extend its advertising boycott to cover all News International newspapers despite the publisher's decision to close the News of the World, Brand Republic reports. It reports that Renault - which spent £343,829 with the News of the World in the 12 months to the end of April, 2011, according to Nielsen - said in a statement:

As a result of the seriousness of the continued allegations of phone hacking by News of the World, Renault is reviewing its media advertising plans.

Pending the formal investigations, we currently have no advertising planned in any News International press titles in the immediate future.

It also says that The Daily Star's offices have been raided.

I do hope the Police end up finding evidence of dodgyness related to Piers Morgan in the course of their work. Every bit as odius as that ginger slapper Brooks.

Well done Renault.

Wonder if the decision was made based on how much exposure this cheap publicity stunt will give them or if they did it for genuine reasons :shock: :crylaugh:

Does it matter in this instance?

Besides which, it's not like this is being screamed from the rooftops is it? It appears to have gotten very little exposure at all.

Hmm, as is often the case with these kinds of goings on, it is the cover up which is more damaging than the original misdemeanour. The original issue was about voicemail hacking by the NOTW. The subsequent scrambling to cover arses is shining a very bright light on much more:

1) Other alleged illegal activity by NOTW

a) burglary

B) live call tapping

c) email hacking/trojan use

2) News Corps'/The Murdochs' activity

a) Continuing attempts at damage control as a substitute for honesty and integrity

B) alleged destruction of criminal evidence (email archive deletions)

c) an alleged attempt to destroy more archives in Indian data centre

d) Buying the silence of those paid of re phone hacking

3) Complicity of the police in failing to investigate criminal activity

4) The Prime Minister's actions re employment of Coulson

a) He could possibly be forgiven for the error of judgement in employing him

B) It is doubtful he could be forgiven for lying about what he knew and when.

In short, an awful lot of people and organisiations are going to fall. Every action by the Murdochs is tarnishing their organisation and helping the mask to slip a little more. And each time it slips their opponents become more emboldened. My predictions:

1) NI takeover of BSkyB to be refused, or at least to not go ahead

2) Collapse of News Corp as the brand becomes as toxic as NOTW

3) Criminal charges against Rebekha Brooks

4) Prime Minister resigning/no confidence vote (Would mean Clegg as pm - hilarious!)

5) New press regulator answerable to OFCOM

6) Other newspapers dragged in & more journos charged

7) Union recognition at News Corp (there are rumblings already)

There was another firm interviewed this morning on R4, forget who they were but an internet retail firm who place a lot of business with NI, saying they were stopping all advertising with all NI titles. Gave the reason as the size of the inbox from people asking them not to advertise with NI.

I think it's more wanting not to alienate their customers, than thinking they might gain new ones.

Compare that with the response I had from Tesco:

Thank you for your email to Philip Clarke, our Chief Executive, to which I have been asked to respond.

I appreciate how concerned you must be over the recent allegations made against the News of The World.

These latest claims will cause huge distress to a family which has suffered enough. However, it is now a matter for the police and like everyone, we await the outcome of their investigation.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times.

basically saying they would carry on advertising with NoW, without even being honest enough to say so in so many words, so I have told them I will shop at Sainsbury in future.

Guardian update:

Rebekah Brooks is no longer in charge of the News International internal clean up committee – following a recommendation from James Murdoch and News Corp directors.

An official message sent to staff following her 4pm meeting reveals Will Lewis, Simon Greenberg and Jeff Palker – Brooks's lieutenants – will "report directly" to New York based Joel Klein on the clean-up.

The key paragraphs from Brooks's message to staff are below:

People have asked if it is right for me, as CEO of News International and as the Editor of the News of the World until January 2003, to oversee our efforts to assess allegations, address serious issues and prevent them from happening again. I'm determined that News International does this.

For the avoidance of any doubt, however, the News Corporation independent directors agree with James Murdoch's recommendation that the Management and Standards Committee, comprised of Will Lewis, Simon Greenberg and Jeff Palker, report directly to Joel Klein in New York. Joel is leading and directing the Company's overall handling of this matter. Many of you will know that Joel is a respected former Assistant Attorney General of the United States. Joel and Viet Dinh, an independent director, are giving oversight and keeping our parent Company's Board advised as well.

Does it matter in this instance?

Besides which, it's not like this is being screamed from the rooftops is it? It appears to have gotten very little exposure at all.

no not really , i was just being my usual cynical self

thing is Renault have to advertise with the people that are going to get them exposure , if they advertise in the local Parish news they wont really get their message across ... so whilst its making a stand it's a rather tame one as they don't appear to be removing themselves from the entire Murdoch Empire ..because like our MP's they probably know that they need Murdoch more than Murdoch needs them

I'm cynical too, I've no doubt they've done this because they feel it looks bad for them to stick with NI publications, which could alienate customers, rather than them having any problems with their publications actions.

And indeed it would be better if they didn't line Murdoch's pockets at all.

But regardless, it's praise worthy because it's a better hit to Murdoch than just the more cynical pulling away from the NOTW alone.

Â