Pro cycling: General Chat

leviramsey

Anyone ever notice that clicking on the Union Flag on Le Tour's official site leads to the "US" site?

Until this year I think it was a US flag. But as we know, the Tour is definitely down on the yanks, and it would look silly if they had an Australian flag :D

I've seen a half-Union Flag/half-Stars-and-Stripes icon used on various sites to denote version anglais.

It is a bit surprising that Team Sky hasn't been more successful... apparently hacking the other teams' phones doesn't give you a great advantage in cycling.

Do Liggett (who outed himself as a Tranmere Rovers supporter as the peloton was going through Guingamp yesterday) and Sherwen commentate for the UK feed?

Yes Phil Sherwyn and Paul Liggett do one of the British feeds for ITV, whilst Sean Kelly and some other guy do Eurosport. Its a hard one to judge who is better. Whilst Sean is knowledgable he is fairly hard to understand, especially after several hours. Liggett and Sherwyn are in mourning as they can’t go on and on about that guy who used to win the tour, but now everyone has accused of drug consumption. That Sherwyn was once employed by said man, used to make the commentary fairly biased. ITV do have some other guys working on the tour; Gary Imlach, Ned Boulding and Chris “Boardo” Boardman who improve things.

Have loved each and every stage so far.

Superb win for Cav yesterday. And that must be the most number of crashes I think I've seen in a singe stage. Riders dropping all over the place!

Have loved each and every stage so far.

+1 (I guess that's what the kool kids post now)

ASO laid out an excellent start to the course, especially with not really having any flat-as-a-board pure-sprinter stages. The KoM and intermediate sprint changes may play an effect, too.

Versus has Liggett and Sherwen do the live and first rebroadcast calls (which, airing at 8am ET and 9am PT-ish, are targeted at the cycling aficionados), while they do a prime time rebroadcast that's more targeted at the casual fans with most commentary by Liam McHugh and Bob Roll (though for finishes and other important moments they'll take the Liggett/Sherwen commentary). I never really watch the prime-time broadcast, but I'm not sure I get the point of that. I got the gist of things by the end of the first tour I watched with Liggett and Sherwen, who do a great job IMO of explaining things without being patronizing... so for Mike, I'd recommend watching a feed with Liggett/Sherwen commentary.

Yes Phil Sherwyn and Paul Liggett do one of the British feeds for ITV, whilst Sean Kelly and some other guy do Eurosport. Its a hard one to judge who is better. Whilst Sean is knowledgable he is fairly hard to understand, especially after several hours. Liggett and Sherwyn are in mourning as they can’t go on and on about that guy who used to win the tour, but now everyone has accused of drug consumption. That Sherwyn was once employed by said man, used to make the commentary fairly biased. ITV do have some other guys working on the tour; Gary Imlach, Ned Boulding and Chris “Boardo” Boardman who improve things.

Kelly's unbelievable - knowledgeable, yes, but sounds like there's a producer talking into his earpiece all the time, saying "more monotone Sean, keep it up, don't make it sound exciting".

Contador is still the favourite for good reason. He is only 1' 42" behind he is very capable of pulling this back. Although my money is on Schleck.

The longer it goes on, the more I think that Evans could do really well. Never been a big admirer of his, but he looks in very solid form. Not sure if Contador's in good form - wonder if the Giro has cost him.

Great stage yesterday.

Just watched my recording and

+1.

Breakaway succeeded, Van Garderen was a revelation, and I did not expect Hushovd to make it across the line with the bunch.

Something's up with Contador: he tried to attack and couldn't.

Maybe a little bit of a bit of an anti climax on today's mountain stage but it's fascinating to see so many riders up there with a chance of winning the whole thing. It could come down to seconds again.

I don't think Cavendish has been as quick as he's been in previous years (I haven't seen the second 'kick' yet) but to win 3 stages already shows you what a great sprinter he is (and what a great team he has behind him).

Â