Pro cycling: General Chat

leviramsey

But the article is pretty hilarious from start to finish, if it wasn't the head of an international sporting group making a fool out of himself (I'm 72 don't you know!!!).

Reminds me of Fifa a completely incomponent senile buffoon running a massive sporting organisation. I guess you reap what you sow...

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a bump, but USADA has forwarded on its 1000 page dossier of evidence to the UCI. Apparently a shortened 200 document will be release to the public sometime today for those in need of some bedtime reading.

Some 26 individuals have given testimony, with 15 of those being riders with "knowledge of the US Postal Service Team and its participant's doping".

The USADA have also announced bans for 6 other riders - Leipheimer, Vande Velde, Zabriskie, Danielson, Barry and Hincapie - with Barry (currently with Sky) and Hincapie (now retired after finishing with BMC in August) taking the chance to admit their guilt in doping.

As they might say, s**t has just got real. Will be interesting to see how the Armstrong PR machine whirls into action now (watching it unfold alongside Marion Jones' decent into admission has become an interesting hobby for some on cycling forums I've seen). It will be interesting to see if this "Witch Hunt" that has been "wasting taxpayers' dollars" will reveal a fraud of millions of taxpayers' dollars - probably not, but I fear this is going to get real ugly, real fast before becoming a rather long drawn out affair with no endgame and no closure,.

On a lighter note.

Does anyone know of a good summary of what's been released for us laymen?

WOuld love to know exactly what's in what they've released, but not sure I could make sense of, or have the time for, a 200 page dossier.

WOuld love to know exactly what's in what they've released, but not sure I could make sense of, or have the time for, a 200 page dossier.

I haven't read it but from what I have seen it just confirms what everyone knew all along. Armstrong was the head of a team that systematically doped for ~a decade. Every member of the team was forced to dope with Armstrong distributing the drugs himself. 11 of his former team mates all tesified against him or in laymans terms, told the truth, and their stories showed how normal doping was for the team. One team member singing songs about taking EPO on the team bus! The hope is that the UCI will be forced to address the doping issues properly now but I don't expect them to. They will just bury their heads in the sand and hope all of this goes away.

I don't follow cycling but I've obviously heard of Armstrong. It's sad that a man who was such a hero could be so cynical. The news mentions blood transfusions and spotters at hotels on the look out for the drugs testers so Armstrong could be warned to drop out of the race. What a farce.

He's been found guilty of the use, possession, trafficking, administration & encouraging the use of performance enhancing drugs.

These include EPO, testosterone, blood doping, corticosteroids and other masking agents.

The evidence is corroborated by sworn testimony from 26 people, including 15 riders with knowledge of the US Postal Service Team and the doping activities of its members. One of the riders' testimony, Hincappe's, is particularly pertinent because he was the rider closest to Armstrong and has himself never failed a doping test.

The evidence also contains banking transactions showing several significant ($100,000+) payments to Michele Ferrari the main doctor behind the US Postal team's extensive doping programme.

The evidence is overwhelming. The political pressure that caused the original Federal investigation to collapse may reverse.

oh dear, Alex Dowsett. Dressing down from Brailsford to swiftly follow, methinks ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ycling/19910165

Noter the links Dowsett has to Armstrong ...

Sky feeling the heat here a bit. Their 'not hiring anyone connected with drugs' line is starting to fall apart. Michael Barry apparently hid his past from Brailsford, Michael Rodgers is named in Levi Leipheimer's testimony as training with Ferrari. Is Leinders the Rabobank Doctor referred to who supplied him? The timing of his sacking from Sky (or at least the announcement of it) seems strangely coincidental.

Fair play to Brailsford for going on R5 live last night, but a comment from Brad wouldn't go a miss - especially when the emails show that lance doped to deny him a podium spot in 2009. The silence from the sport's top riders is deafening.

Sky feeling the heat here a bit. Their 'not hiring anyone connected with drugs' line is starting to fall apart. Michael Barry apparently hid his past from Brailsford, Michael Rodgers is named in Levi Leipheimer's testimony as training with Ferrari. Is Leinders the Rabobank Doctor referred to who supplied him? The timing of his sacking from Sky (or at least the announcement of it) seems strangely coincidental.

Fair play to Brailsford for going on R5 live last night, but a comment from Brad wouldn't go a miss - especially when the emails show that lance doped to deny him a podium spot in 2009. The silence from the sport's top riders is deafening.

What about Sean Yates? I'm uncomfortable with his position considering his involvement with CSC and Discovery where doping was prevalent.

I suppose being a fan of the sport makes you naturally cynical.

Yates, Rodgers, Julich, all tarnished. Knaven and DeJong both thrown off the Tour during the Festina scandal because of team wide doping in TVM.

Leinders and Barry both former employees.

And yet they make their stand that David Millar could never be allowed ride for the team.

a comment from Brad wouldn't go a miss - especially when the emails show that lance doped to deny him a podium spot in 2009. The silence from the sport's top riders is deafening.

Evidently he's scrubbed that TdF from his memory... (2:22 onwards or so)

As for the "hiring policy" - I think while Barry was an unfortunate case (let's face it, some of these guys have made a career out of lying and justifying their indiscretions) so you can forgive hiring a rider with a sordid past that he intended on hiding until he was retiring, however having people like Yates and Leinders on your books doesn't exactly help your "whiter than white" cause, no matter the circumstances that bought them employment with Sky or implicated any involvement in any alleged doping, Really Sky shouldn't have put themselves in a position that they'd be subject to any innuendo or snide implications. I know it's difficult to get experienced guys in who haven't been "tainted", but that was what I thought Sky were supposed to doing, they were supposed to be different.

As for the whole LA fiasco, for me the real tragedy is that for many "normal" people simply beating cancer and simply competing at elite sport again would be a magnificent achievement - but it seems for Lance this just wasn't enough.

The thing that upsets me most about Sky is that the engineered PR is identical to Lance and USPS. They create headlines for the mass market, that they know will hit the BBC and Sky websites, like not hiring Millar, like their proposed seminar on their methods that was supposed to happen this October, like their marginal gains techniques, or like their investigation into Leinders.

But once the mass media clears off they obviously have no intention of answering questions on any of the detail, like Brailsford saying 'er I think we've done an investigation into Leinders' a few weeks back. Now that the Tour's finished and the media storm has disappeared there's no mention of any seminar. They won't answer questions as to why the marginal gains techniques only work for four riders on their team and only seem to have worked in the last 18 months. The blood values thing was exactly the same as Lance when he announced his comeback. When the world's media was watching Lance said he would publish all of his blood values for all to see, but once they had all cleared off he never bothered his arse. Sky have done something similar; launching a team on the principals of transparency and being clean was more important than winning races when they started (their words), but since then they've never published anything, and won't allow journalists to ask any doping related questions.

The current PR spin in peloton in dealing with the Lance situation seems to be to keep quoting '10-15 years ago' and the 'dark ages' of cycling - which I reckon has led to Wiggo's bizarre denial of even racing with Lance. The doping experts seem to be quite sure that the omerta and drug abuse is still alive and well in the peloton.

• Like 1

The doping experts seem to be quite sure that the omerta and drug abuse is still alive and well in the peloton.

I am pretty sure that the doping experts have been saying that the sport is significantly cleaner than it was. Totally clean; no, cleaner yes.

Anyway where are Phil and Paul??? Sherwyen has tweeted that he has read the Hamilton book and is reading the USADA report. When are they going to issue an apology? When are they going to admit they were on drugs and talking drivel for years...

Vaughters, Millar, McQuaid and various other people who stand to earn alot of money from the sport are banging on about how clean the sport is.

This guy, who has nothing to gain from it said this however: http://goo.gl/ev938

When he says about 'new age' teams he can only be referring to Garmin or Sky. Reckon it might have been Barry he was referring to, given that he only testified to USADA a couple of weeks ago.

I will be genuinely excited when someone does what Lance actually suggested and never bothered doing, and hires an independent doping expert to follow them around France for the duration of the Tour - takes their blood every day and publishes their analysis of it with their opinion every evening. That would be a truly impressive tour winner.

Â