UEFA to expand Euros for 2016

TRS-T

I think even with 24 teams, Wales wont qualify. And Uefa should have the 12 teams who finish top 2 in the group go into a 2nd group phase of 4 groups of 3 and then top teams in that straight to the semi. A bit lke 1982 world cup.

There are plenty of decent sides that didnt make the Euros this time around so more teams qualifying and more games is good news in my book.

Shit idea, why even bother having groups if 3 of the 4 teams are going to qualify. A team could get into the knockout stages with 1 point!

Its the format that suffers. I dont mind worse teams being in the competition but tournament football should be 16-8-4-2-1. If they expand it then it should be to 32 teams, but UEFA isnt big enough to have a tournament of that size unless you all but do away with qualifying and kill the 20 smallest nations in the federation.

The only 24 team format that makes sense to me is to have a second group stage with the winners of qualifying groups entering at the second group stage. 24-16-8-4-2-1. This also keeps some interest in qualifying, as there are continuous rewards for doing better in qualifying.

Hell, if they got rid of the host's automatic entry, then it works out pretty well.

Eight qualifying groups (5 of 7, 3 of 6)

Qualifying group winners each heads a group in the second group stage

Runners-up go into the first group stage

Each fourth-place plays off against a third-place (would probably seed this so that the four worst fourths would play the four best thirds... teams from groups of 7 would have their two worst results excluded for the purposes of determining seeding) to enter the first group stage

Top 2 in the first group stage enter the second

Â