UEFA to expand Euros for 2016

TRS-T

rubbish idea if 3rd place in a group can qualify for last 16.

takes the groups just a total waste of time.

might as well make it 32 teams, and then have the tournament similar to the world cup.

I like the way it is at the moment, its far better than the world cup in respects that its so open. Since everyone has a good chance of doing well the football is so much the better for it.

The crowds will also dwindle, especially when two lesser footballing nations meet, which will have obvious repocussions on the atmospheres.

Leave things be you money grabbing leaches!

• 5 weeks later...

Thought I'd bump this after the draw for the 2014 World Cup qualifiers today.

Obviously it's quite tough for the other home nations to qualify with only 13 World Cup places up for grabs.

It's unlikely that they'll top the group so they have to hope that they can grab second place and then negotiate a play-off.

However when it comes to qualifying for Euro 2016, there should be a much greater chance for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland to qualify.

I think it'll be the group winners and the group runners-up who qualify automatically and then third place will have to face a play-off.

2014 World Cup - 13 European spots up for grabs

Euro 2016 - 23 places up for grabs

but the best 3rd place is bollocks IMO, look at the group stage of 2008 the 4 3rd place teams were

czech republic 3pts

austria 1 pt

romania 2pts

sweden 3pts

none of them setting the world alight, the two teams with 3pts both beat the team that finished bottom, assume that some poorer teams get through now, the best 3rd place teams will be the ones that put the most goals past the poor team, its a really shit system IMO

This.

The whole "best runnersup/3rd placers" system is too convoluted and unfair.

Why? The Euros are consitently better than the World Cup, and it's because there are less shit teams and a higher number of good teams.

Money making shite ruining the game once more.

:evil:

I can see why people think it's not necessary, but I'm also glad that there will be more football. I don't care if the extra matches are along the lines of Hungary v Romania, I like football and there will still be entertaining games between sides like that (although admittedly, many sides may follow the trend of playing 'boring', defensive football in order to advance to the latter stages). Either way, you're going to end up with 16 decent teams after the group stage, and it'll be great to have those 16 teams (and there are 16 teams qualifying now anyway) fight it out in knockout format.

Plus, as others have said, it means that the Home Nations and Ireland are more likely to qualify, which I'd like to see.

Yep, club football is the highest standard these days anyway, the great things about these competitions is how much it means to players and countries and how it brings nations together. I'm happy enough to spend my summer days watching more games, even if less quality over **** all else on in the summer. More games of football the better.

I would prefer to keep it at 16 teams.

Except the "Top-dogs", qualification is a big thing in itself and making that too easy would mean no interest in the groups.

Make a qualification for the qualification or, like in other sports, make A, B, C versions.

I don´t know what is happening in Scotland and Rep of Ireland these years but they both got a great history of football and should do better. It isn´t just a lack of numbers, imo.They got around the same population size as Norway, topranked for the WC, and Denmark whose EC history compares ok´ish to Englands.

I've long thought there was some merit to making it a league competition played out over three seasons with promotion and relegation (with the top countries from the league (maybe 10 from the top 18, 2 from the second 18, 1 from the third division of 15) qualifying for the World Cup). The big countries would be playing each other in qualifiers twice every three years.

Isn't UEFA centralizing the TV rights for WC and Euro qualifying? Perhaps that's a preliminary move in this direction...

It'll be more fun having Ireland and Scotland on board, but the quality will certainly suffer. I can see why it is happening but I'm not sure it'll be a great thing overall. I'm looking forward to Euro 2012 though, the last one was fantastic and the World Cup was so dreadful that it'll be good to see some real quality international football again.

• 2 months later...

Qualified nations for Euro 2012:

Poland,

Ukraine

Germany

Russia

Italy

France

Holland

Greece

England

Denmark

Spain

Sweden

Qualified nations for the play-offs:

Portugal

Croatia

Republic of Ireland

Bosnia and Herzegovina,

Czech Republic

Estonia

Montenegro

Turkey

All of the above would have qualified straight to the finals if Euro 2012 was a 24-team tournament.

The following would have qualified for the play-offs:

Belgium

Armenia

Serbia

Romania

Hungary

Israel

Switzerland

Norway

Scotland

• 8 months later...

really? Euro 2012 proved that 16 is enough teams in it. Ireland, Sweden, Ukraine, Poland even Greece have not exactly top teams and lack of quality behind wont be much better

Â