Gym Routine

olboydave

could go in the Things that annoy you thread, but weightlifting belts - if you’re doing big numbers and low reps on squats and deadlifts, no issue, but I got back in the gym for the first time in a year and there was SO many people walking round with them to do accessory lifts or repping out modest numbers. why not work your core?!

12 hours ago, a m ole said:

could go in the Things that annoy you thread, but weightlifting belts - if you’re doing big numbers and low reps on squats and deadlifts, no issue, but I got back in the gym for the first time in a year and there was SO many people walking round with them to do accessory lifts or repping out modest numbers. why not work your core?!

You're right, I only wear one when doing squats for my working sets, although I don't really bother with the deadlift that much these days. I've seen people wear belts and do curls, it annoys me to see people wear one for rows, in fact anything other than squats and deadlifts.

On 24/04/2018 at 09:30, Stevo985 said:

Took it this morning and don't think I'll be taking it again.

Never had a caffeine rush like it. Made me tingle and itch and I broke out in a rash (which thankfully disappeared after my workout)

I'll stick to a large mug of tea or coffee :) 

How much Beta-Alanine is in it?

That stuff makes it feel like you've got ants crawling under your skin!

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

My general view has always been that pre workouts are an utter waste of money and potentially dangerous.

Same, which is why I was just concentrating on the caffeine. Literally just to wake me up rather than to optimise my workout or any of that stuff.

LIke I said, I'm sticking to a strong cup of coffee instead

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

How much Beta-Alanine is in it?

That stuff makes it feel like you've got ants crawling under your skin!

2g per serving

9 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

You're right, I only wear one when doing squats for my working sets, although I don't really bother with the deadlift that much these days. I've seen people wear belts and do curls, it annoys me to see people wear one for rows, in fact anything other than squats and deadlifts.

I wear mine for those at the top end working sets and for OHP too. Need all the intra abdominal pressure you can get when lifting at your absolute max. I think it's one of those where most people will generally lift more when wearing a belt and seeing as lifting more generally makes most people feel better about themselves/more motivated whatever you want to call it then you see them everywhere. 

Not sure why you'd wear it for anything else unless you forgot you had it on? 

Edited by villaglint

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Why do people put their phones on the floor in gyms? Asking for it to get smashed.

This pisses me off. Hopefully I’m not the only one who’s tempted to ‘accidentally’ step on them to prove a point...

I put my phone on the floor in the gym, depending on what exercise I'm doing.

I'll have it in my pocket if I can, but certain exercises, like squats, it would get in the way in my pocket, so it goes on the floor.

Where else am I supposed to put it?

(I do make sure it's always in a place where it's unlikely to get smashed though. Like under a bench or at the back of the squat rack.

On 03/05/2018 at 08:46, Stevo985 said:

Going to the gym before work has been a **** revelation so far!

It's amazing getting it out of the way right at the start of the day. Now when I leave work I don't have that feeling hanging over me of needing to go to the gym. Or if I work late I don't have the guilt of missing the gym (which I'd gotten pretty used to! :D )

The only day I struggle for motivation on is Wednesday, cardio day. I really hate it.

But every other day I'm enjoying it. Quiet gym, no motivation to skip exercises or leave early (because then I have to go to work!)

I've been every working day for 2 weeks now and enjoying it.

3 weeks in now and still going strong. The only day where my motivation is lacking is cardio day. **** me it's boring.

I've lost no weight though, despite the fact I've been sticking to my diet 100% apart from one cheat meal a week (although I'll have a blow out this week after the playoff first leg)

I feel like I'm losing some fat though, so hopefully I'm just adding a bit of muscle through muscle memory that I'd lost over the past year. My lifts are certainly going up pretty quickly considering I'm not bulking.
Unfortunately my scales at home that measure bodyfat seem to have gone haywire. The weight works but it says I'm 34% bodyfat which is definitely wrong! So hard to tell.

All body fat scales tend to be rubbish, and useless for anything apart from a general trend, anyway.

I just use the body fat formula that the US Navy popularised, which seems to be reasonably accurate, might be worth considering rather than buying more fancy scales that are still just an estimate.

https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-calculator-navy

20 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

All body fat scales tend to be rubbish, and useless for anything apart from a general trend, anyway.

I just use the body fat formula that the US Navy popularised, which seems to be reasonably accurate, might be worth considering rather than buying more fancy scales that are still just an estimate.

https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-calculator-navy

Oh I know they're rubbish, but the ones I had were at least consistent. So you could tell if you were improving it or not. But now they seem to have just gone mad.

Ultimately it's how you look that is the ultimate measure, but that's hard to gauge week by week.

Edited by Stevo985

I'm doing cycles of 8 weeks this year. Started with a fairly standard 3 sets of five reps. Just finished a cycle of 3 sets of 10 reps. Doing squats three times a week (mostly) one each of front, high bar and low bar. Deadlift once a week then bench, OHP/weighted pull ups and seated row on alternate days. 

All 1RM which I retest after each 8 weeks improving nicely expect for the pull ups which seem to have hit a bit of a wall. Technically added 2kg to overall weight but we might of needed VAR to judge whether my chin was actually over the bar!

My word will I be glad to leave 10 reps behind . Lifting heavy weights for that many reps felt like I was going to collapse after some of the exercises. As much of a breathing exercise as it is a muscle one. 

Going for 3x3 next so can really focus on each rep rather than the mind battle of endurance. 

I hate high rep work too. i'm following a PHUL template, so on my lower hypertrophy day for example, I do 4 * 12 front squats. I hate that so, so much more than my 4 * 5 heavy back squats.

The breathing does become a struggle, and it's just a lot harder mentally. "Just 11 more reps" is little consolation. 

I've found high rep work really beneficial. The trick (for me at least) is to 'cycle' it concurrently. For instance, I'll bench twice a week, one day is 5x5, another day is 10x10. I made huge gains on my bench as a result and have been able to hit 3 plates having been at a plateau for the several month. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I'll second that, it has definitely been working for me. But I hate it!

10*10 though, that's brutal, are you following a particular routine? That's not an amount of volume I've seen many people doing.

Â