Gym Routine

olboydave

14 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I've started going to the work gym when doing long days and won't be able to get to the usual one. No power rack so use the leg press instead and just set a new PB of 3x10 @175kg, I'd struggle to squat 125kg it's crazy the difference machines make.

Well for a start the leg press doesn't require you to lift your own bodyweight. So you're really squatting 125kg + your bodyweight

Edited by Stevo985

Ooh, I currently train in black shorts.  I risk looking like a full kit rocket polisher if I get the new Villa away :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Due to generally being outrageously busy and then illness I've ended up having 2 and a half weeks off. In that time I was probably eating around 1000 calories a day as well, back this week and it's fair to say I've got a lot to do to rebuild. 

Not going to bother with German Volume Training anymore, I managed to complete around 5 weeks of it, and I did see some gains, but I'm not convinced they were any greater than what I'd have achieved with heavier weights. That said, I do think I will continue some aspects of it. For instance on my lighter days, as well as continuing the volume for isolation exercises like curls.

That said, I am going to look into a new routine this weekend, this week is very much about simply showing up and getting the main compounds done. Everything is down by up to 40kgs but should return quickly with a couple of weeks of training and eating. 

Gym goal: Never be that word removed who makes other people have to bring headphones to the gym because you're so **** loud and obnoxious. 

I don't like training with headphones but I've brought some specifically tonight because every time I train at this time King Bellend is here with his posse and their constant "WOOOOO!"-ing and "BRUV! BRUV! BRUV!"  :bang:

• Like 3

Oh and while I'm having a moan - guys who bring their BCAAs onto the gym with them. Not the drink mixed in a shaker but the actual tub. This really shouldn't annoy me but their attempt at looking hardcore actually makes them look like clearings in the woods. Plus BCAAs have been proven not to work and to be a total waste of money.

Walking to the gym today, somehow in between my house and the gym I managed to sprain my knee and develop a twinge on my adductor. 

Skipped squats for today, saved me a bit of time and my Bench wasn't as draining.

Hi all. Can I please, genuinely and humbly ask for some help devising a routine? 

Background info. Am in the region of 2.5 stones overweight. Arms and physique in general I'm sure will come in time. However, I need to shift my gut. I'm starting to look like Randy off Trailer Park Boys! 

Ive put some pics on below to fat shame myself. I'm honest, zero BS so here are the grotesque pics to anger you buff bastards. Firstly I hate you all :P but I'll get there...

secondly. Please if you can devise or advise on a routine concentrate purely on flattening my belly. Am under no illusions regarding six pack etc. 

Also a final thing is, and totally genuinely, gym membership won't suit me. I work long hours and when I finish work I have a very long commute to a very remote rural home, on the plus side I do have a range of equipment already I'll list in case it helps with any advice. 

Sorry to ask and genuinely , a big big thanks if anyone has the time to help a fellow VTer with a problem. Also I have to ideally get as trim as poss for a wedding suit measurement on August 7th.... not mine, a mates but even so. 

Equipment:

exercise bike

basic weights bench 

resistance bands

dumbells barbell and ezy curl bar

kettlebell , slam ball and a yoga Matt  

edit- so yeah a home routine either using the above or just basic full on No Gym necessary style ....

will do some research at the weekend too but thought I'd ask the knowledgeable lads on here for advice  I approach humbly and respectfully thanks. 

Edited by Midfielder

If you're genuinely only worried about getting rid of fat and not about putting on muscle, then you only need two things

1. A calorie controlled diet

2. Cardio

And even number 2 isn't absolutely necessary, it just helps.

There are no weight lifting routines that will flatten your belly. It's fat, and the only way to get rid of it is to lose fat.
Don't get me wrong, a weight lifting routine would help that, it burns fat too. But if a gym membership doesn't suit you then you'd be far better off sorting your diet out and doing 3 or 4 runs/swims/bike rides etc a week.

For fat loss, diet is the absolute number 1 thing to address.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If you're genuinely only worried about getting rid of fat and not about putting on muscle, then you only need two things

1. A calorie controlled diet

2. Cardio

And even number 2 isn't absolutely necessary, it just helps.

There are no weight lifting routines that will flatten your belly. It's fat, and the only way to get rid of it is to lose fat.
Don't get me wrong, a weight lifting routine would help that, it burns fat too. But if a gym membership doesn't suit you then you'd be far better off sorting your diet out and doing 3 or 4 runs/swims/bike rides etc a week.

For fat loss, diet is the absolute number 1 thing to address.

Yeah thanks. I'll start counting the calories and burning some off with the exercise bike, walks, use the matt do some press ups, sit ups too. 

Posted those two unflattering pics but that's the reality and the start point. Motivation enough is looking at it. Got to avert this

df7cab0321114ba749615364c8ab6f1d.png

I'm trying to support the Mrs in her efforts at the mo. She's doing the Joe Wicks thing and I'm doing it with her. Food has been decent, actually much tastier than I expected and decent portion sizes. Basically carb only after a work out and generally high protein and right kind of fats. 

The HiiT workouts have also been fun, doing those in the evening with her on top of my usual lunchtime gym stuff so I'm expecting to be in pretty good lick for the holiday in 3 months. 

If you want home stuff @Midfielder those might be worth a look. They are all on YouTube and all body weight exercises, take between 15-20 mins and you definitely get a bead on by the end. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

I'm trying to support the Mrs in her efforts at the mo. She's doing the Joe Wicks thing and I'm doing it with her. Food has been decent, actually much tastier than I expected and decent portion sizes. Basically carb only after a work out and generally high protein and right kind of fats. 

The HiiT workouts have also been fun, doing those in the evening with her on top of my usual lunchtime gym stuff so I'm expecting to be in pretty good lick for the holiday in 3 months. 

If you want home stuff @Midfielder those might be worth a look. They are all on YouTube and all body weight exercises, take between 15-20 mins and you definitely get a bead on by the end. 

Thanks pal I have never heard of Joe Wicks i'll have a look online. Dietary adjustment has been instant and i'll hit this target by any means necessary!

This underlined quote above, that is some good thinking there my friend, you're combining two exercises into one session. 

Be wary of listening to the Body Coach. He's essentially a lucky chancer who has blagged his way to the top with nonsense like "Eat more, exercise less". Be careful with his recipes - somebody did a calorie analysis on the recipes in his book and at least several of them came in at well over a 1000 calories per serving! He also has various sponsorship arrangements with food companies, most notably Lucy Bee's Coconut Oil, which I've heard he uses in most of his recipes and reckons has magical properties. Needless to say, it doesn't and is just very, very calorie-dense. He's basically a marketeer with no background, education or qualifications in nutrition and very little concern for the accuracy of what he says . Martin MacDonald has put out some really good stuff addressing all of this. 

All of that said, I do have a grudging respect for how he's engaged people, generally promotes eating nutritious, whole foods and has made stuff seem really simple.

• Like 3

Yep I'd agree with all that JB, he's annoying as hell but you can't argue with what he's done. Getting people cooking and getting people exercising.  I guess one way to view it is just marketing as eat more exercise less but really he's just introducing the average Joe (bad pun) to HiiT and low carb, high protein dieting. 

He's definitely a lucky chancer but the guy knows his way around a social network I'll give him that. As charlatans go there are much worse and its working for th Mrs so I'm happy to tag along. 

8 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Yep I'd agree with all that JB, he's annoying as hell but you can't argue with what he's done. Getting people cooking and getting people exercising.  I guess one way to view it is just marketing as eat more exercise less but really he's just introducing the average Joe (bad pun) to HiiT and low carb, high protein dieting. 

He's definitely a lucky chancer but the guy knows his way around a social network I'll give him that. As charlatans go there are much worse and its working for th Mrs so I'm happy to tag along. 

Yep, that's pretty much what I was trying to get at with my last paragraph. He's got the most basic knowledge for a personal trainer (a lot of his stuff is flat out incorrect) but he's obviously very, very good at appealing to the masses. 

For anyone interested, the International Society of Sports Nutrition has released its position stand on diets and body composition. It's a good read. PDF available for download here.

On 15/06/2017 at 02:08, Midfielder said:

I'm starting to look like Randy off Trailer Park Boys!

Well I don't mind saying "randy trailer park boys" is the bravest workplace internet image search I've done in a while.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@Midfielder - lots of great advice given already....so I'll throw my little bit of help too.

If you want cardio or at least to get the heart rate up to start with then i thoroughly recommend buying a skipping rope off amazon for about a fiver and away you go.

To start with I'd be doing laps of celebration if I'd managed more than 10 skips before i clipped my feet and stopped. Now i expect to do at least 60/70 per go before i resume and the sweat is pouring off me ! If you have a fitbit then it counts ur jumps as steps too.

I'm 52, 17stone and deffo no gym head  (see rogues gallery for my pic not long put on there) but my point is, a skipping rope is cheap effective and portable. 

Good luck dude

• Like 1

Â