Gym Routine

olboydave

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Managed to injure myself deadlifting, stupidity attempting a 200kg double, the first rep felt pretty clean and for some reason attempted a second. Barely got the weight off the ground and felt pain in my back, it's in the lower back/ hip region, it feels potentially like sciatica with a slight numbness in the right foot as I type. Fairly sure it is not disc related, the issue seems to be more in the pelvic region. Suffice to say I'm probably going to have to take time off, very frustrating as have been making amazing gains. Anyone had something similar to this?

Are you getting any shooting pains down your leg? is the pain like a numb constant pain, say like a bruise, or is it a sharp pain when you move in a certain way?

17 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Are you getting any shooting pains down your leg? is the pain like a numb constant pain, say like a bruise, or is it a sharp pain when you move in a certain way?

TBF the pain is more contained in my lower back on the right side, shooting pain if I move in a certain direction, like if I quickly bend forward or if I sit down. The pain doesn't run down my leg, that has gone, just my right foot feels a little bit numb. Looking a back diagram seems like it is in the iliac crest area or SI joint.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

@Dr_Pangloss Like you said mate it doesn't sound as though it a damaged disc. I have cracked a disc in my back and you would be getting the sharp shooting pains down your leg.

There is very little you can do for back pain other than take some strong painkillers and rest. Maybe if you are still having problems after a week then go see a GP although the only way to identify damage would be an MRI which would be some way down the line. 

Hopefully a few days of taking it easy will do the trick then just ease yourself back in to lifting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

@Dr_Pangloss Like you said mate it doesn't sound as though it a damaged disc. I have cracked a disc in my back and you would be getting the sharp shooting pains down your leg.

There is very little you can do for back pain other than take some strong painkillers and rest. Maybe if you are still having problems after a week then go see a GP although the only way to identify damage would be an MRI which would be some way down the line. 

Hopefully a few days of taking it easy will do the trick then just ease yourself back in to lifting.

Yeah that's my thinking. Thinking about it this may have been a long time coming, I have had some discomfort in the area at times, nothing major but it would become uncomfortable if I sit in a certain way for prolonged periods. It would only be a bit tender after deadlifting rather than squatting, so I switched to deadlifting only once every two weeks. My form is not perfect but also not dreadful either, perhaps I'm not engaging my glutes enough which could cause an injury like this in theory. 

May have to review whether I even bother deadlifting after this, I don't think it is all that essential and it is extremely stressful on your body.

• 2 weeks later...

I completely fell off the wagon with the gym last year. New job, moving house and christmas culminated in me going about 4 times over the past 3 months. Embarrassing.

So I'm back on it now. Going right back to basics and doing Stronglifts 5x5. Never actually done it before, although I did do Madcow and enjoyed it very much.

But I need a more regimented routine that I can stick to and actually feel like I'm missing out if I don't make it to the gym.

I've calculated that a 12 week cycle should get me up to around what I was lifting last year. Then I can either migrate to Madcow or see where I stand. I'll be cutting during it so might struggle but as most of it is building back up to where I was before I'm hoping I'll be ok. We'll see.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I started gym beginning of last year, and been fairly motivated through out, didn't need to set it as my new years resolution and I'm on course, going 4 times a week and already spent a small fortune on supplements, concentrating on mostly upper body for that beach body that ill need.

I did consider looking into deadlifting, but then I watched a video of a guy completely snapping his spine in a lift and collapsing to the floor, so ye, that's put me off.

• Like 1

On 20/12/2016 at 20:59, Dr_Pangloss said:

TBF the pain is more contained in my lower back on the right side, shooting pain if I move in a certain direction, like if I quickly bend forward or if I sit down. The pain doesn't run down my leg, that has gone, just my right foot feels a little bit numb. Looking a back diagram seems like it is in the iliac crest area or SI joint.

@Dr_Pangloss how is the back mate?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

@Dr_Pangloss how is the back mate?

Cheers for asking mate, it's pretty much fine now, I took three weeks off, have been back nearly two weeks now, taking it easier, lost strength and size but overall the rest cured it, taking it easy when it comes to squats and deadlifts are off the menu for a while.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Cheers for asking mate, it's pretty much fine now, I took three weeks off, have been back nearly two weeks now, taking it easier, lost strength and size but overall the rest cured it, taking it easy when it comes to squats and deadlifts are off the menu for a while.

Good news. You did the right thing in resting and better to have lost a bit of strength that you will soon regain rather than do some serious damage.

See how you go with the squats and dead lifts and if they give you trouble then you may just have to adapt your workouts. I cracked a disc in my back 18 years ago and have had to be careful what I do ever since although I will do something stupid every now and then and pay for it big time for a few days.
  • Like 1

Back to it tonight for the first time since .... December 12th :o:( *gulp*

Yes I know, I'm a fudging disgrace (fudge pun intended).  Let's see how it all pans out.  Looking forward to it with anxious excitement :D 

2 minutes ago, V01 said:

I thought I was bad at 4 weeks, you'll be suffering tomorrow.

And the day after, and the day after that.

Enjoy.

DOMS I can take.  In a way I like DOMS because it's 'good' (beneficial) pain.  It means I'm going in the right direction.  It's the injuries I'm worried about ! :) 

1 minute ago, V01 said:

I took a deload, still working back towards my pre-Christmas lifts which where working back to my pre-injury lifts. It's a long game. 

Yeah TBH it's less about strength and more about condition after Christmas with me.  I know you ultimately lose weight in the kitchen, and you do that's true, but for me just being in the gym makes me eat better. So one needs the other.

Had to take several months of before Christmas for health reasons, having been back lifting for two weeks it's starting to finally come back and feel good but it was one hell of a shock to the system to start again.

No injuries, although I suspect I've an imminent shoulder issue which never went away in the 6 weeks I was resting.  From what I did yesterday I can conclude that my triceps lost a lot of strength as they seemed to get hammered by everything and they're usually my strong point particularly on things like bench press.

But all in all a good workout and I'm sufficiently DOMS'd in the upper torso :)  Tomorrow will be even worse, and then Thursday we'll do some legs and pulls.  Good to be back :thumb:

• Like 1

On 24/01/2017 at 18:58, troon_villan said:

Amazing how your body just 'forgets' after a few weeks off. 

I'm almost tempted to sporadically do it to teach it a lesson. 

The plus side is it "remembers" quickly too.

• Like 2

Â