The Anime & Manga Thread

GarethRDR

Anybody read Hellsing? The manga, not the god-awful OVA (although I've heard good things about the more faithful reboot). Wonderfully OTT, that is if the concept of a massive three-way showdown between Protestant vampires, Nazi werewolves and Catholic übermensch culminating in the utter destruction of London floats yer boat.

Toned down in what way? For a start I can tell you that Rei has VISIBLE NIPS THIS TIME

Not that way, you foul perv! :lol: By toned down, I mean not having Third Impact.

Man I really need a smilie having a nose bleed in there. I love that in anime. Sexual arousal = nose bleed hahaha. I especially like it when they have a nose bleed SO ENORMOUS it makes them fly into the air. Maybe that's why Japanese sexual practices are perceived as a bit odd - their first association with eroticism is BLOOD

th_nosebleed_smiley.gif

th_nosebleed_smiley.gif

nosebleed.gif

Oh ok yeh I see what you mean. I hadn't thought about that actually. They can end it however the **** they like as far as I'm concerned, I just wanna see Kaoru turn up in his new Eva, and see how gay they will make him act around Shinji. The bit when they have a shower in End of Eva is one of my favourite from ther whole thing, Shinji is like ":shock: christ mine isnt that big", and Kaoru is all "touch it shinji, you might like it :x"

So yeh now I have to watch the whoel series again inc. directors cuts inc. original ending inc. Death/Rebirth & End of Eva. I might even watch those gay spin off ones where they don't even pilot Eva's or whatever

I might even watch those gay spin off ones where they don't even pilot Eva's or whatever

Good god, without Evas? So... it's just 30 minutes of Shinji being a pissant? :puke:

I might even watch those gay spin off ones where they don't even pilot Eva's or whatever

Good god, without Evas? So... it's just 30 minutes of Shinji being a pissant? :puke:

My recollection is somewhat hazy, but there's a bit in end of Eva where Shinji either imagines or sees an alternate dimension, depending on your opinion, where he lives with his mum and dad and goes to school with all the same people, but every is happy and normal. I am lead to believe it's an entire series of that :lol: Then there's another one that's based on an Eva dating game, where Rei is Shinji's cousin or something but he still wants a piece cos it's awwwwwwwwriite~

Sweet Jesus. Sounds like Azumanga Daioh, but with all the humour replaced by whining teenage angst. :shock: Sometimes I wish Gendo would just say "Enough is enough", take off his belt and tan the little shit's hide but good.

Then there's another one that's based on an Eva dating game, where Rei is Shinji's cousin or something but he still wants a piece cos it's

Well, at least cousin isn't as bad as psuedo-sister/mother-clone. Still seven shades of wrong though. God bless those crazy Japs.

I dont know what im talking about here, only popped in this thread because im bored at work....but the only Japanese cartoon film ive ever seen is spirited away. I thought that was quite good, in an odd sort of way.

Is that Manga?? :confused:

The term "manga" refers to Japanese comics/print cartoons (generally monochromatic), but is also the name of the company responsible for the majority distribution of anime films to the West; Manga Entertainment. Hence this can lead to confusion for the casual viewer. Manga Entertainment also produces films and series, such as 'Ghost In The Shell'.

So to answer your question, no. If you read a backwards-comic of it though, that'd be a manga.

Nice list of top 20 films even non-anime fans will like. I thought well yeh Akira will be top, waited to spot it, not in top 10, not in top 5, not no.1whaaaaaaat?

I haven't seen that Highlander anime film looks cool man.

Paprika is in that list, have seen that, and I must recommend to everyone literally everyone in the whole world of VT

• 2 weeks later...

Watched 'Whisper Of The Heart' yesterday off the back of having watched the excellent 'The Cat Returns' on TV a few weeks back. Highly recommend the pair of them. :thumb:

• 2 months later...

They're both worth a watch 'cause they wildly diverge at a point in the story (plus in the time you'll have to wait for the last films to come out you could have watched the original series several times over anyway).

Just watched 2.0. HOLY. FREAKING. SHIT. shocked-smiley-9456.gif

Good aint it :D

I'm downloading my first new anime series for about 5 years at the mo, the adaptation of Persona 4. It's great~ ^_____^ laaaa etc. God forbid anyone ho hasnt played the game try and watch it though, I can't see how you'd be able to follow it otherwise

There's just... so much going on. Who the **** is Mari? What the **** is Kaworu doing with his own Eva and the Lance of Longinus? What the **** does the Key of Nebuchadnezzar open? What the **** are SEELE doing on the moon?

ARGH! Too many questions!

Ive seen Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle and Nausicaa and enjoyed them all, is this a decent list of other films I should watch? A good mix of films/styles or not?

Vampire Hunter D

Blood: the last vampire

The Cat Returns

Summer Wars

Paprika

Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on heavens door

Evangelion Reboot movie series

Grave of the Fireflies

Ponyo

Steamboy

Â