The Anime & Manga Thread

GarethRDR

I watched You are (not) alone yesterday, the first Eva reboot movie. It was actually quality, although some of the voices have changed on the English dub. Far too much emotion in Rei's voice she is practically a robot ffs. There aren't many differences from the original series, although the introduction of Kaoru before Asuka is interesting. And the animation is just incredible. Think I've got the bug again

Neon Evangelion

Appleseed ex machina

Princess Moanoke

Ghost in the Shell

Akira

Detonator Orgun

Ninja Scroll

Macross

Vampire hunter D Bloodlust

Full metal alchemist

Graveyard of the fireflies

My recommendations

Ill get my coat

What's to "get" about Ainme? It's just a form of animation. You must be talking about certain types of ainme, like cyber punk, etc..

Please check out Grave of the Fireflies. Considered one of the most powerful antiwar movies.

It's more than just a form of animation imo. Thats rather like saying 'what's to get about French cinema - it's just film'.

It's a form of animation that embodies it's culture, like all other forms of artistic endeavour it in some way represents it's birthplace and it's creator's cultural landscape. And I don't connect with that.

Sure in some cases it's more apparent than others. A mecha based piece is going to be more extremely alien to a Western pallet than, say, a Ghibli piece. But they are both painted with Japanese tropes, and Japanese leanings, and Japanese 'spirit'. Some people adore it - it's noticeable I think that people who tend to like anime are often nipponophiles generally, and will watch/love a wide range of anime. I can think of no-one I know who enjoys some anime, that doesn't love an awful lot of anime.

I don't engage with anime. I don't 'get' it's brilliance. It's often incredibly alien to me, I don't appreciate the humour, the spectacle, the style generally. It's a curiousity to me at best and not something I could ever claim to love. I've seen Grave of the Fireflies and it is a powerful and great film, but it's a solitary blip on the anime scene for me. This thread, and workmates love of anime, encouraged me earlier to watch an anime I remember seeing when very young - Guyver. I caught it on youtube. I don't get it. I follow the story, and so on, but I don't get it. I don't get whats great about it. Same goes for Evangelion.

It's not like I'm down on all Japanese things either. I love Battle Royale, Mono are one of my favourite bands, I've been known to listen to Dir En Grey... but rather like I don't get a number of Japanese videogames (curious design choices, odd artistic merit, goofy humour, overblown melodrama), anime leaves me baffled.

I can think of no-one I know who enjoys some anime, that doesn't love an awful lot of anime.

That surprises me, I must admit. For me, there is definitely an absolute deluge of horse-shit that you have to wade through to get the stuff that's worth watching/reading.

I think there's plenty of room to be able to enjoy anime and not be a total freak about it. Now J-Pop and 'visual kei', that IS something I can't get at all, because it is completely shit as far as I can tell. As for why I 'get' anime, well I really couldn't say. My introduction was through Japanese and anime styled videogames, most notably FF7. Eva was the first full series I watched, and well I suppose I just thought big robots fighting aliens was coooooool.

Now though, save for Eva, I'm much more inclined to watch anime that isn't about space and robots and invading aliens and as for that cutesy stuff, no I can't get my head around those ones. Except for The Moomins ^_______^

Chindie does that mean you didn't/don't like Shin Megami Tensei, specifially Persona? Quality games man.

Chindie does that mean you didn't/don't like Shin Megami Tensei, specifially Persona? Quality games man.

Never played them, have no intention of starting from what I've seen of them.

You mention Final Fantasy - those are a series of games, clearly quite Japanese, that I do roundly enjoy. However it's also worth noting that the FF I love most, 9, is probably the most 'Western' in it's outlook and art direction and style, given that is effectively at heart a hodge podge of medieval mythological characters and references in the Western fantasy vein, and given a slight Japanese bent on top.

FF9 was more a bookend for the series. It came out in 99 and was the last game on the psx platform. It had loads of throw backs to earlier FF games.,

FF8 was for me the most western of the series. It's also the second best game in the series. I just don't think they'll ever be as good as they were with 7 and 8. The emotion is lacking in the games since. While there's only one Seipheroth, best villain ever.

Never played them, have no intention of starting from what I've seen of them.

1049032-flatteddie_super.png

I watched You are (not) alone yesterday, the first Eva reboot movie. It was actually quality, although some of the voices have changed on the English dub. Far too much emotion in Rei's voice she is practically a robot ffs. There aren't many differences from the original series, although the introduction of Kaoru before Asuka is interesting. And the animation is just incredible. Think I've got the bug again

Following on from this I watched the 2nd part last night, You can (not) Advance, and ... :shock:

It is amazing.

The story generally follows the same route as the series, except all the Angels and the battles have been re-designed, they expand on a lot of ideas from the series, and the whole plot flows fantastically well. I mentioned in that post above about there being too much emotion in Rei's voice - turns out this is totally purposeful and isn't simply a change of voice actor, her character has a slight, but significant, change in personality.

Most interesting though is that they've added a new child from Europe, and made 2 HUUUUUUUUGE changes to the story from the series, and it works fantastically well. The preview for the next one looks just brilliant. ugh so many superlatives. Honestly if you like the series as much as I do (and I love it) you pretty much have to see it. 2 hours of constant nerdgasms...so much fan service...

I watched them both on blu-ray and they look and sound incredible. The next one hasn't even got a JP release date yet though, so it'll be a long way off for us. Then there's another one simply entitled FINAL which promises a completly new ending

I'd be worried "completely new" = toned down, but I'll be giving these a try methinks.

I was thinking the same thing.

I'll holds on until the whole series is finished and out in english. Then get them all.

Toned down in what way? For a start I can tell you that Rei has VISIBLE NIPS THIS TIME

Man I really need a smilie having a nose bleed in there. I love that in anime. Sexual arousal = nose bleed hahaha. I especially like it when they have a nose bleed SO ENORMOUS it makes them fly into the air. Maybe that's why Japanese sexual practices are perceived as a bit odd - their first association with eroticism is BLOOD

Â