The Anime & Manga Thread

GarethRDR

Ive seen Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle and Nausicaa and enjoyed them all, is this a decent list of other films I should watch? A good mix of films/styles or not?

Vampire Hunter D

Blood: the last vampire

The Cat Returns

Summer Wars

Paprika

Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on heavens door

Evangelion Reboot movie series

Grave of the Fireflies

Ponyo

Steamboy

Actually anything under Ghibli is good (apart from tales of earthsea), especially Laputa, Princess Mononoke and Arriety. Fist of the North Star and Ninja Scroll are fun but probably a bit dated now.

I personally wouldn't bother with Steamboy but I know some people like it.

I just picked up Summer Wars and Girl that leapt through time on blu-ray but as yet not watched them - good reviews though.

Hello ..

Last Anime that I've seen .. was Le Chevalier D'eon ! IT was really great ! Because I watched Rose of Versalles before maybe two months .. and it was covering the same era .. though this one was more fantasy ..

I'll check the posts here then I'll come back to replay later ..

All the Ghost In The Shell stuff is brilliant IMO. Stand Alone Complex (the TV series) especially so. The 2nd series (or 'gig' as they call it) is probably the best anime I've seen. You can pick it up on amazon for a pittance.

I also finished 'major' recently, another anime tv series about this japanese kid who loves baseball. Loved every episode.

Fist of the North Star and Ninja Scroll are fun but probably a bit dated now.

There is nothing "dated" about Fist of the North Star!

fotns-atatatatata.gif

ATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATAT

ATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA!

Fist of the North Star and Ninja Scroll are fun but probably a bit dated now.

There is nothing "dated" about Fist of the North Star!

fotns-atatatatata.gif

ATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA!

Ahh my fellow Stokie I think you may be looking at it with rose tinted glasses, I watched this a year or so back and didn't feel the same love as when I first saw it all those years ago. On the other hand I think Akira has stood the test of time pretty well.

• 8 months later...

I threatened it on the Gaming board, and here it is, a bump for the anime thread magician.gif

The next new Evangelion movie, 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo, has been given a JP release date of 17 Nov, so we might get a localised DVD/BluRay release, what, 9 months later? So a year from now. Man thats a long time.

The release date was announced via this rather impressive ad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7ZIGJRvnEU. As such you cant really see what is going on, but you do get to hear a load of Japanese people go HWWWUUAAAA!, you know, like they do

And while Im at it, heres some theatrical trailers for the redo of the Berserk anime series, one of my favourite animes, and certainly my favourite manga series - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGMOS3YDCSE, and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHNWVSBLyug. No trailers for the 3rd part yet, which is a shame, as that is when the shit really hits the fan. Looks like theyve put together a new soundtrack and made it a big more grand sounding...which is a shame, as the original soundtrack is one of the best of any soundtrack Ive heard, for an animated or non animated film/series.

• 9 months later...

18309d1264018105-racism-ignorance-lazine

I'm performing this act due to a conversation in Games & Gaming.

Anyone watching any new anime? Since Bleach got cancelled a while back and Fairy Tail recently being put on hiatus, I'm down to just Naruto and One Piece as my weeklys. Any good suggestions?

Edited by Ginko

I haven't watched any weekly shows (or as the tru weeaboos call it, 'picking up') for a verrrry long time. In fact I haven't watched any new anime in a long time. I look at the new season previews when they roll around, but there hasn't been anything that's really piqued my interest since Persona 4.

Talking about anime always makes me want to revisit my old favourites - FLCL, Berserk, Martian Successor Nadesco, Gantz. Good stuff.

My personal favourites are:

Full Metal Alchemist (the original, Brotherhood was good, but it'll never be the same as the original for me despite being the "true" ending, or canon)

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (absolutely superb in every way)

Death Note

Naruto (up until the Chuunin exam, since then it's tailed off a bit with fillers and now they're clearly intent on it never catching up to the manga again so the anime draws everything out)

Full Metal Panic! (particularly Fumoffu, cracks me up)

and Mushishi (which is something a little different and also where I get my username from :))

I've recently started Bleach, but it's hard to sit down and watch at the moment as I have a lot on.

First anime I watched was Spirited Away, what an amazing little film that is - I can see why people hype it up.

I will have to make a list of those I have watched.. Howls moving castle is another, my girlfriend has a load on DVD.

I like the dark anime, so anything with a hint of darkness running through will grab me.

I like the dark anime, so anything with a hint of darkness running through will grab me.

Do you like Game of Thrones? I know it's kind of a big thing right now, so there's probably a good chance you do - although personally I only just caught up with it.

If you do, I'd suggest Berserk. Similar kind of setting, castles, swords, war, politics, gore, hint of fantasy/the supernatural. And it goes dark. Incredibly dark. They remade the original series as a sequence of movies recently (like Eva) and although decent, they strip away a bit too much for me. But the series is just fantastic, albeit a bit old looking, I guess. It also, largely, stays away from lots of anime clichés, which helps keep the serious tone throughout. Bit of a down side, you have to read the manga to find out what happens next, but who knows, maybe they'll kick on with animating the rest of the manga when the movies are done.

Probably the darkest I can think of that I enjoyed was Narutaru. It's about some kids who have pokemon like monsters, and is presented as being very sweet, nicey nicey, etc. It's for that reason, that when it goes to some very dark places, it's more horrifying than stuff like Elfen Lied, which is really in your face. Not that that makes Elfen Lied bad, that's a good series too, but Narutaru was so left field, it really left an impression.

Oh, and on Naruto - I haven't watched that in so long. I know it did a big time skip, but it's gone all filler again? Not surprising, I guess, if it keeps catching the manga up. Would they dare take it off the air for awhile? Man, when I first started watching that at uni, I would literally watch tens of episodes per day. I liked Rock Lee. He's a dude.

Edited by hogso

Watched a few episodes of this this morning, they're only about 10 minutes long each. Still as funny as I recall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0LaNDv2nGg

It's a rather rude, short lived comedy about a cheese loving housekeeping hamster called Ebichu, who offers sex tips to its owner, and usually ends up in a puddle of its own blood after being slapped about. Good fun :)

I really dislike Bleach. Of all the major animes, my favorites would be Full Metal Alchemist (the original and even Brotherhood) and Death Note. Naruto is so ridiculously drawn out (what's it been, 12 years now?) that I've lost interest in it years ago.

Naruto isn't on fillers at the moment as such, but they occasionally slip a mini-arc here and there. The main problem is that they draw out the canon episodes with lots of scenary shots, shots of characters standing there looking menacing or flashbacks. The best thing about Naruto up until the Chunin exam was just how fast-paced everything was. I can't see them taking it off the air, but they really are diluting the show a lot. Maybe in 20 years time they'll remake it and just cut all the crap out.

I'll have to give some of these shows a watch. I'm actually looking for some darker stuff to watch. I think the darkest anime I've seen is probably Basilisk. I enjoyed it, but there's one kunoichi (female ninja to those who aren't as nerdy as the rest of us) who has a particular power which she uses in a rather disturbing way...

Bleach is okay, but it's pretty much a few episodes putting in some story just to set it up for the sequence of xxx vs. xxx bouts that they have, in which the Shinigamis always win in the end, and even the ones you think will die actually don't. Which brings me onto another point about Bleach. I don't get the whole set-up really. Shinigamis are souls that lead the dead, aka souls who's bodies have died, to the afterlife, but souls and therefore Shinigami can still die? So where do they go after that? I've always been confused about that whole thing.

Edited by Ginko

The entire thing is based on a ridiculous premise. I really enjoyed the first say ~20 episodes before they went into the soul society, and Ichigo had to fend off Hollows in his vicinity. After that it just became silly, even for an anime.

• 4 weeks later...

Late reply to the above, not a massive fan of GOT, only just started on it though, just find it slow.

I went Anime mad on Thursday, had a trip to the mainland and so got Bleach series 1 and 2, PEEEERRRSSSOOONA! Animation :)

Oh and Fruits Basket for my girl, which meant I got one free, so chose Gunparade March, it just sounded good.

Also got a few cheap ones just cos they sounded ok.

I went Anime mad on Thursday, had a trip to the mainland and so got Bleach series 1 and 2, PEEEERRRSSSOOONA! Animation :)

Nii-chan....s-sugoi~!!!

I actually watching a bit of the P4 anime again recently. It was uh, worse than I remember. Not all of it, just certain parts.

Â