The Anime & Manga Thread

GarethRDR

• 2 weeks later...

In a similar way that Adult Swim aired the first episode of season 3 of Rick and Morty last April 1st, they aired the first episode of FLCL season 2 a few hours ago (midnight in some US time zone I guess). It was subbed. Haven't seen it yet, but will seek it out shortly. 

• 3 months later...

Soooo Attack on Titan season 3 has began.  Will have to give that a watch tonight.

Also I've decided to take the plunge and delve into the Berserk manga.

I'm actually glad I have seen the anime first as the manga gives you the heads up that Griffith is the antagonist.  I know the manga's way of telling the story is to plant the seed then see how it ends up that way, but I preferred the pure jolt of it all being revealed during the eclipse.

Also....Donovan!  ?

Stick with the manga. The recent anime adaptation of arcs after the eclipse aren't brilliant, unfortunately, due in large part to the animation. 

2 hours ago, hogso said:

Stick with the manga. The recent anime adaptation of arcs after the eclipse aren't brilliant, unfortunately, due in large part to the animation. 

I'm loving the Manga, I just preferred the way that particular part was revealed to the viewer in the 97 anime.

Yeah I've seen the 16/17 series'.  Still enjoyed them story wise but the production left a lost to be desired.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I bought Junji Ito's Fragments of Horror today. I'm not going to sleep comfortably tonight. The guy is a genius - an awful, disgusting, twisted genius. Highly recommended. 

Give 'Layers of Fear' or 'The Enigma of Amigara Fault' a Google of you're unfamiliar with his work. The above mentioned anthology doesn't include either of those stories, though. 

Watched the first part of the new Baki the Grappler series that Netflix have released to continue the story and do the escaped prisoners storyline, whilst it was enjoyable I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as the original.

• 2 months later...

The series plus Death / Rebirth and End of Evangelion. 

Without delving too much in to the torrid history of Eva, this is great news, although I'm going to assume straight off that this is the cleaned up Platinum version animation with the same dub - although I prefer the original dub. Guess we'll find out in June! 

• Like 1

The Ramiel episodes remain some of the best TV I think I've ever watched. Looking forward to giving it the 90th-or-so rewatch and still not knowing exactly what the hell is going on.

Edited by GarethRDR

What did you think of Evangelion 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0?

Upon further research there's some speculation that the original cast may be involved in a brand new 'Netflix' dub. Which is curious, as even the Platinum dub had recasts due to some English VA's disappearing off the face of the Earth. 

Some of those lines are so iconic to me though, that anything other than the original dub just sounds wrong somehow. 

I did get hold of some rips of the Japanese blu ray release which looks beautiful. Hopefully the Netflix release matches it. 

• 2 months later...

So, the new Netflix dub for NGE is an utter disgrace. I'm actually angry, I've never had an experience like this for something I'm a fan of. 

Is this what some people felt for the ending of Lost? Godzilla '98? Matrix 2 & 3?

Fml.

• Sad 1

Season 2 of One Punch Man is still pretty good, but not quite as good as season 1 was.

Doesn't look as good either. Apparently a few key staff and animators has left the show

• 4 weeks later...

26 dead so far in the Kyoto Animation fire.

Thought to be arson. Horrendous.

Didn't know many of their titles in the BBC report.

The IMDB list however... :(

notgood.JPG

• 3 months later...

Have to be a faster reader to watch The Tatami Galaxy, main character talks really fast and as well as the subtitles there's a lot going on on the screen to take in.

Edited by useless

• 6 months later...

Anyone know where to watch anime/ manga? I want to see the programme Bleach. (Has anyone seen this? Is it worth it?) It used to be on Netflix but seems they have removed it. 
I downloaded an app called Crunchyroll, but it appears this is with subtitles, I’m a heathen and want it dubbed into English 

Crunchyroll would have been my suggestion, is there not an option on there to switch it to dub?

At the time Bleach started I was the most in to anime that I've ever been - I'd download the weekly subs from various sources for a whole bunch of shows, and my memory of Bleach is that it's initial premise is fine, and it's fairly entertaining for a while...but it seems they made over 350 episodes of it, which is absolute madness. That's the reason I never got in to One Piece, I much prefer the series which run 26 episodes (or some slightly longer ones, I made an exception for Monster cos it's so good for example (70ish episodes)). If they're really lengthy, and based on an on going manga, I'd rather sink time in to that. Or used to anyway.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Anyone know where to watch anime/ manga? I want to see the programme Bleach. (Has anyone seen this? Is it worth it?) It used to be on Netflix but seems they have removed it. 
I downloaded an app called Crunchyroll, but it appears this is with subtitles, I’m a heathen and want it dubbed into English 

A quick look shows Funmation is regarded as the next best behind Crunchyroll, however it does say most of the Funmation stuff is dubbed, which is what you are looking for. 

• Thanks 1

Â