Exciting Youth

smetrov

The average age of the Man U team today in the second half was 22!!!!! If they're good enough then they're old enough. Cleverly was excellent!

Of course, but their youth are excellent and ours are mediocre. That is the only difference, as ours aren't really good enough.

I hate it when just because a youth player is at Man United everyone suddenly assumes he is the best thing since sliced bread. Why cant the young players at Villa, that have come through our system be as good or even better? We seem to do more than ok as a club at youth level and reserve level on the national stage. I remember watching our youth team take the Man United youth team to pens not long ago after we outplayed them for 90mins. I couldnt see any evidence in that game that Man United youth were excellent whilst ours were just mediocre.

The average age of the Man U team today in the second half was 22!!!!! If they're good enough then they're old enough. Cleverly was excellent!

Of course, but their youth are excellent and ours are mediocre. That is the only difference, as ours aren't really good enough.

I hate it when just because a youth player is at Man United everyone suddenly assumes he is the best thing since sliced bread. Why cant the young players at Villa, that have come through our system be as good or even better? We seem to do more than ok as a club at youth level and reserve level on the national stage. I remember watching our youth team take the Man United youth team to pens not long ago after we outplayed them for 90mins. I couldnt see any evidence in that game that Man United youth were excellent whilst ours were just mediocre.

He also buys a lot of youth - De Gea, Jones, Smalling, Nani, Andersen, Rooney, Young to an extent, Hernandes. All very good youth bought for, in some cases, big prices. Only really Wellbeck and Cleverly that have come through the Utd ranks (plus the two twins at FB I suppose).

Because they aren't as good? :?

The reason they play for United is because they are good enough to do so which is usually a reason why people rate them more.

If you have Welbeck impressing over likes of Berbatov and Owen, while Delfouneso can't get in front of Heskey/Gabby/Bent/Carew/(now Weimann) past 3 years then it probably says he isn't as good.

Bannan has come in and has done well, Delph has done the opposite, we're giving them the chance but we can't afford to play 4/5 youngsters every game, it's a results business. If they are good enough (in training, where they see them every day) I'm sure they will play.

If you have Welbeck impressing over likes of Berbatov and Owen, while Delfouneso can't get in front of Heskey/Gabby/Bent/Carew/(now Weimann) past 3 years then it probably says he isn't as good

should be ashamed to say that. Fonz is better than Drogba :P

The reason they play for United is because they are good enough to do so which is usually a reason why people rate them more.

If you have Welbeck impressing over likes of Berbatov and Owen, while Delfouneso can't get in front of Heskey/Gabby/Bent/Carew/(now Weimann) past 3 years then it probably says he isn't as good.

Bannan has come in and has done well, Delph has done the opposite, we're giving them the chance but we can't afford to play 4/5 youngsters every game, it's a results business. If they are good enough (in training, where they see them every day) I'm sure they will play.

I think that it could be as much a case of mindset. I dont think Man Yoo's youth players are any better than ours. What I do think, is that mentally they are more focused by being at that club than ours might be playing for Aston Villa.

We know Fergie knows how to keep kids feet on the ground and the Beckham sale showed any kid with any doubt who the boss is. Meanwhile, we have Gabby spreading his seed (good luck to him) and the Fonz apparently getting too big for his boots, the Bannan tweeting bar pix etc.

I am not sure the problem is technical, more mental and therefore, not so easy to resolve.

Its a sad testiment of the way things are today, when you ask 10/11 year olds why they would love to play football they no longer say "to score the winning goal at Wembley", they say "to have a ferrari like XXXX". Quiet sad really and shows how much the game has changed.

... and the Fonz apparently getting too big for his boots….
There is absolutely no evidence for this

Says you, but I swear blind I saw him in Clarks the other day wistfully eyeing up the kid's shoes.

agreed, i think he is criticised way too much by the majority of fans

it only takes one fan, as long as its the right fan

Seriously what great players have United created from scratch since the class of 92?

Wellbeck looks their best prospect at the moment but I think he is a bit overrated. Time will tell on him I guess.

agreed, i think he is criticised way too much by the majority of fans

it only takes one fan, as long as its the right fan

hMMmmmmmm

Not sure who you could mean Bicks. :lol:

Has anybody heard anything about Dan Crowley? He's on our books and is the youngest player in the England U16 side, another who is apparently highly rated.

Yeah I posted two pages back that he's in the team and its on Sky Sports 2 tonight.

I know him and his dad as he's the nephew of one of my best mates. He's quite small but that doesnt stop him competing with lads who are much older and bigger than him. Last season he was playing for our u18's when he was only 13 and scoring against the likes of the u18's of Arsenal at the Emirates.

We really do seem to have cemented ourselves as a place for good youth development and seem to be attracting some exciting prospects.

I bet they can't wait to get into the first team and have all of their creativity squeezed out of them by Mr No Personality. :winkold:

Houlston isn't exagerating when he says he is quite small. He is the smallest but potentially the most talented player to come through the youth team since Barry Bannan. He has been playing in the U16s since he was 12 which is amazing for a small player.

He is very good and he knows it. I hear that his confidence is not always appreciated by his teammates.

Â