Exciting Youth

smetrov

Clark, Albrighton, Baker, Gardner, Bannon.

These are the ones that will succeed. For me, the jury is still out on some of the rest, with others just not good enough.

i agree with this, them 5 into the squad would be good though id prefer Gardner to go on loan to get games

Those that aren't likely to be used too often should be allowed to go out on loan as reserve team football is no good for them at this stage and they need first team football to progress.

Unfortunately, as we have lost quite a few players these are all we have in reserve; Thus we cant really let them go on loan.

When are the contracts for Lowry and Herd over? they will not make it here and we should just let them go to progress their careers elsewhere.. they aren't good enough, it's like we are holding on to them in the hope they will improve or something.

- Clark, Albie and Delph all have a great chance IMO and could become Villa stalwarts.

I should think he does have a chance.....he cost us £6m!!!!

Clark is the only one of these I expect to still be around in a couple of years time

Hogg, Lichaj and Herd making it as Premier League players

Lichaj was injured so couldn't play last night.

Hogg got better and better I thought last season. Played great in game against Man Utd.

Herd sounded on OS commentary like he played really well first half last night, had a cracking shot at goal.

Albrighton has not looked half the player we know he can be in pre-season. Should we get rid then?

Ian Taylor was driving fork lift trucks till he was 20.

Before I'd write some of these players off I think I'd rather leave it to the coaching staff, because I'm no expert.

Good point Julie re Taylor ! My only thing about some of the younger players like Delfounso I don't see and never have a kid busting a gut to do it just simply don't think he is good enough either another Luke Moore !

Herd right attitude but not sure he can make it at this level him and Hogg will earn a living but won't pull up any trees not as good as Peter Whittingham as an example and all he has ever done since is Championship level !

Lowry same as above but nowhere near good enough I saw this kid at Stoke pre season 4 years ago and he still aint made the breakthrough

Weimann haven't seen enough to make a judgement .

Clarke I think he is very composed but strikes me not tough enough yet think he will make it though or at least get to Premier Level maybe not top premier though .

Bannan for me think he can do it and push on needs games he aint a kid anymore . I like the fact he knows he can play and works at it

Albrighton when he is up against a decent full back flounders hasn't really played well for a while but he is player and probably will go backwards to go forwards again , great attitude like Bannan !

Ian Taylor was driving fork lift trucks till he was 20.

I think there are a few in the youth set up that would benefit from this? Maybe a 6 month loan spell to the fork lift truck driver world for the Fonz would help him realise just what an opportunity he has at the minute and how he should grab it hard, or maybe a season ticket to wherever Stefan Young is playing this year? I'm sure he has lots of talent, I just don't see the intensity and desire in him that you see with someone like Sturridge.

K

Been thinking about our "exciting youth" and the "excellent crop of youngsters" we have coming through etc coupled with the lack of investment in new players and I just wonder whether the Peace Cup has a lot to answer for

Did our relative success in that summer friendly competition cloud judgement of a few at our club and maybe gave them cause to believe we could do this on the cheap?

Lolz

the more is see of our younger players the less excited i am getting about them. Apart from gardner, clark and possibly bannan im starting to think all the rest are all a bit cack if im honest

Oh well they're all cack never mind!

Good to hear one journo might have a different opinion. Mr Baker played rather well tonight for England U20s in World Cup out in Columbia.

AlexRichards10 Alex Richards

Saw Nathan Baker on a couple of occasions last season for #AVFC. Didn't think much of him. Tonight has changed my opinion. #Colossus

Good to hear one journo might have a different opinion. Mr Baker played rather well tonight for England U20s in World Cup out in Columbia.

Saw Nathan Baker on a couple of occasions last season for #AVFC. Didn't think much of him. Tonight has changed my opinion. #Colossus

so what if he had a good game for england U20's. We are going to be relying on these young players week in week out and the reality is that the majority of them are nowhere near good enough. People on here seem to think we have produced amazing young players just like ferguson did at man utd a few years ago when the reality is that we havent, we have no money and we are in really big trouble this season

Our youngsters only provide excitement for the opposition playing against them.

Whilst they may be decent in years to come, they aren't ready yet and everybody knows it.

We are in for a tough campaign. Lose the first few games and I fear for our survival.

Many of our youngsters were done quite a disservice by MON in my view. He kept a small squad so wouldn't let anyone leave on loan, yet wouldn't play them in the first team because he had a set team and wouldn't rotate, even to the point of playing quare pegs in round holes. These kids need experience at senior level, not reserves, until they either ready for first team with us or ready to move on.

Albrighton had a great year last season but has struggled now he's been found out a bit and come up against some close checking - these are issues that he might have worked through already had he spent a season or two at Watford or Derby or the like. Delfouneso, Wimann, Baker & Herd all need to do the same. Herd had a great loan spell at Lincoln - he bossed it in League 2 - time to send him to the Championship to show what he can do - sink or swim.

That said, I really think people need to just hold off a bit in terms of writing some players off. It's true this will be put up or shut up season for them but I suepect some are being too hasty to judge at present based on pre-season form. Don't forget a team with Albrighton, Hogg, Bannan, Herd and Clark (for a few minutes) played Man Utd off the park for all but 20 minutes at VP last season.

Out of the current crop I would imagine 1 or 2 will be first teamers for us for years to come. 1 or 2 will leave and be successful elsewhere. The rest will disappear into lower leagues?

Which will make it??? That's the $64k question!!

so what if he had a good game for england U20's. We are going to be relying on these young players week in week out and the reality is that the majority of them are nowhere near good enough. People on here seem to think we have produced amazing young players just like ferguson did at man utd a few years ago when the reality is that we havent, we have no money and we are in really big trouble this season

Well I'm not a coach or a manager, so I think I'll leave it to those who are to decide who should be written off at 19 after about 60mins play for the first team and won't make it.

As I've said before Ian Taylor was driving fork lift trucks till he was 21. Many of these lads like Bannan have played at international levels for their respective countries.

Sure not all will make it but for goodness sake give em a decent chance!

The friendly defeat the other night was excused by some as we were "playing a load of kids". That really ignores the fact that these kids will be playing a large part in our season.

The friendly defeat the other night was excused by some as we were "playing a load of kids". That really ignores the fact that these kids will be playing a large part in our season.

You forgot the most crucial thing though, they will be playing with experience alongside them.

Â