Exciting Youth

smetrov

I actually thought Hogg was decent last season. He also played well for Pompey in the championship. I could see him being a decent backup for Petrov/ whoever our number one holding midfielder is.

Lowry and Herd, I agree with though.

Lowry, Hogg, Herd I don't see any future personally.

Lichaj might do as a back up but really isn't good enough either.

I only think Clark, Albrighton, Delph, Delfouneso, Bannan are currently good enough to play. Bannan and Delfouneso, definite question marks still but good enough for squaddies.

Lowry should be sold this window. He really isn't doing his career any good kicking around in our reserves. He is championship quality at best in my view. Herd is a funny one. He could develop into a pretty good combative midfielder and has the physical attributes to make it but really needs experience. Sending him on loan somewhere in the Championship for a season could really bring him on. Realistically his chances will be limited with us unless we have another injury crisis but I don't think he should be cut loose just yet.

Lowry, Hogg, Herd I don't see any future personally.

Lichaj might do as a back up but really isn't good enough either.

I only think Clark, Albrighton, Delph, Delfouneso, Bannan are currently good enough to play. Bannan and Delfouneso, definite question marks still but good enough for squaddies.

I have to say I think they all have a chance.

- Lowry is the exception as I haven't really seen anything of him

- Hogg - looked a bit shaky against Man U but was thrust in alongside inexperienced Bannan but improved materially after that and is a good squadie/back up as far as I'm concerned.

- Herd - has looked good wherever he has played for me. Not particularly creative but bags of energy and enthusiasm and good in the air. I certainly wouldn't write him off.

- Lichaj - has looked good for me.

- Bannan - I am probably least sure about just because he is in a position where we are strongest with competition from Makoun and Delph for the sitting playmaker role.

- The Fonz - I am not sure about him. Don't know quite what he has that makes him special but he does seem to score goals. We need to see if he can continue this with more playing time.

- Clark, Albie and Delph all have a great chance IMO and could become Villa stalwarts.

Bannan looked very good in the game against Blackburn today. His passing is amazing. I always compare his style to Paul Scholes (obviously saying he is nowhere near as accomplished) when I am describing him to friends and realised something about that today; for everyone who is worried that he is 'too small' for the Prem - he is actually the same height as Paul Scholes too!

Actually all of the other youngsters looked pretty poor today I thought. Clarke and Albrighton gave the ball away a few times - so did The Fonz ... in fact those three reminded me of the way England débutantes look when they get their first cap, so eager to impress they made a lot of silly mistakes.

I think Albrighton, Delph and Clark are the only three of our lot who will become first team regulars. Have not seen anything of Gary Gardner (well, who actually has) and I believe Delfouneso just has not developed in the way he perhaps should have. He's not grabbed his opportunities by the scruff of the neck. Bannan could turn out good and Baker is a pretty good prospect but the rest are not cut out for this level. Lowry, Hogg, Lichaj and Herd are all 22 I believe and they have made little impact.

Bannan looked very good in the game against Blackburn today. His passing is amazing. I always compare his style to Paul Scholes (obviously saying he is nowhere near as accomplished) when I am describing him to friends and realised something about that today; for everyone who is worried that he is 'too small' for the Prem - he is actually the same height as Paul Scholes too!

There is no doubt he is a great passer and can spray balls around BUT I think he really needs a big beast alongside him and a proper attacking CM'er in front - the latter could be SI. However, I see Delph and Makoun as better at filling this role than Barry?

Makoun and Delph will play centrally, I think AM sees Bannan as a wide man and I agree. He is too small and will be out muscled in the middle too often, but out wide, his passes, through balls and cross will help a lot, he he proved yesterday against Blackburn. Good enough for me. Him and Alby will fight ot out for the second wide spot with N'Zogbia taking the other.

He could eventually fight it out for an AM position, and I hope he does, but he needs to add more to his game and maybe bulk up a bit.

Been thinking about our "exciting youth" and the "excellent crop of youngsters" we have coming through etc coupled with the lack of investment in new players and I just wonder whether the Peace Cup has a lot to answer for

Did our relative success in that summer friendly competition cloud judgement of a few at our club and maybe gave them cause to believe we could do this on the cheap?

I really can't see the likes of Hogg, Lichaj and Herd making it as Premier League players. I also have my doubts over Bannan being a regular fixture in any Premier League side and the same can be said of Delfouneso. As for the rest I can see Clark and Albrighton being decent players for us and being permanent fixtures in the matchday squad over the coming years. Gardner looks to have a bright future in the game but its way too early to be getting too carried away. I also like the look of Baker and Weimann but the time is now approaching where they need to kick on.

Those that aren't likely to be used too often should be allowed to go out on loan as reserve team football is no good for them at this stage and they need first team football to progress.

I really can't see the likes of Hogg, Lichaj and Herd making it as Premier League players. I also have my doubts over Bannan being a regular fixture in any Premier League side and the same can be said of Delfouneso. As for the rest I can see Clark and Albrighton being decent players for us and being permanent fixtures in the matchday squad over the coming years. Gardner looks to have a bright future in the game but its way too early to be getting too carried away. I also like the look of Baker and Weimann but the time is now approaching where they need to kick on.

Those that aren't likely to be used too often should be allowed to go out on loan as reserve team football is no good for them at this stage and they need first team football to progress.

That covers everything accurately for me.

Â