Exciting Youth

smetrov

Why do people keep trying to write these kids off, have any of them had a prolonged spell in the first team? Apart from now.

Personally I don't they think are anything special. They are in the first team because of injuries and lack of investment in the squad - not because they some dazzling starlet.

I think - At best Herd and Kieran Clark - might be say Craig Gardner \ Liam Ridgewell level. But the view on here that we have a crop of youngsters that are the envy of the premier league is without justification IMO.

lets not forget how highly Delfonso and Albrighton were rated a few months back - I don't see many shouting about them now.

Fully agree - rose tinted specs in my opinion as theyve come through the youth team............

Bannan, Albrighton, Clark, Lichaj aren't ever going to be the level we need them to be - squad players at best

Fonz total waste of time

Herd, Weimann will be a decent players.

I think the top two who could make the grade and be top players are Carruthers & Baker.

Gardner, personally (wait for the tin hat) i dont see the hype at all... if he is the "next gerrard" then i'm the "next tony yeboah"

all in my humble opinion of course

no-one has seen enough of the kids at first team level yet. herd and clarke have been played the most and it shows. baker looks good to me so far.

gardner and bannan it's too early to say, gardner has hardly played in his best position. when he has he has looked ok, (chelsea win).

too early to judge really, bannan shouldn't be wide, he's better through the middle too. he's had some good games and some bad games so far.

no-one shoudl be writing any of the youngsters off just yet!

Most of these so called kids ie Herd, Bannan, Clarke, Albrighton etc. are 22 or 23 years old. They are not kids. What you see now is probably what you are always gonna see. Some may improve, but at those ages most have more or less already reached the kind of level they will be performing at.

ALL of the kids are good enough squad players for Aston Villa, of course very few are good/experienced enough yet to be regular first teamers. That's obvious

That will only come with age and games

We're in a position right now where we're having to play too many all at once so their weaknesses will be exposed. But one or two slid into a strong 11 from time to time would see them step up no problem

no-one has seen enough of the kids at first team level yet. herd and clarke have been played the most and it shows. baker looks good to me so far.

gardner and bannan it's too early to say, gardner has hardly played in his best position. when he has he has looked ok, (chelsea win).

too early to judge really, bannan shouldn't be wide, he's better through the middle too. he's had some good games and some bad games so far.

Rubbish !

Bannan has been on the fringe ever since MON left - he must 22 at least by now .......how long are you planning to given him ?

Herd is 23 - and has slotted in well. Personally I thinks it more the case of a good engine than a great player. - But yes in the team on Merit.

Baker - has made a catalogue of mistakes. He may improve in time - but why he playing on sun with Cuellar and Clarke available is beyond me.

Gardner is still very young - and for that gets the benefit of the doubt. I have to say I have seen very little to suggest he is even as good as his brother though.

Clarke - looking promising and composed last season - but hasn't improved on that this season.

I think this current crop might give us the equivalent of Liam Ridgewell \ Graig Gardner.........at best.

However if your expecting a new dawn from our academy kids you are going to be dissaponted.

Been watching Villa for 40 years - and have seen some great home grown players:-

Brain Little, John Deehan, Gary Shaw, Mark Walters, more recently Gabby - up until this season. In general you only get one or two at a time - throwing six or seven in, has and always will be a recipe for disaster.

Rubbish !

Bannan has been on the fringe ever since MON left - he must 22 at least by now .......how long are you planning to given him ?

Herd is 23 - and has slotted in well. Personally I thinks it more the case of a good engine than a great player. - But yes in the team on Merit.

Baker - has made a catalogue of mistakes. He may improve in time - but why he playing on sun with Cuellar and Clarke available is beyond me.

Gardner is still very young - and for that gets the benefit of the doubt. I have to say I have seen very little to suggest he is even as good as his brother though.

Clarke - looking promising and composed last season - but hasn't improved on that this season.

I think this current crop might give us the equivalent of Liam Ridgewell \ Graig Gardner.........at best.

However if your expecting a new dawn from our academy kids you are going to be dissaponted.

Been watching Villa for 40 years - and have seen some great home grown players:-

Brain Little, John Deehan, Gary Shaw, Mark Walters, more recently Gabby - up until this season. In general you only get one or two at a time - throwing six or seven in, has and always will be a recipe for disaster.

None of those great youngsters you mention were drafted in under the circumstances our current lot have had to face. Brian Little came into an experienced side that wasn't even in the top flight! Mark Walters came into a side that were Champions of Europe. Gary Shaw came into a side with a whole host of top quality, seasoned pros to support him.

Our current crop of young lads have not had such advantages, they've all been thrown in together into a struggling side with some very average senior pros. Writing any of them off now would be incredibly foolish. Gary Gardner will be a top, top player, for example. You have to give youngsters time to develop and grow into senior football. Imagine GG after a couple of seasons growing, developing and gym work: he will be a top, top player - and even then he will only be 21-22 years old.

Rubbish !

None of those great youngsters you mention were drafted in under the circumstances our current lot have had to face. Brian Little came into an experienced side that wasn't even in the top flight! Mark Walters came into a side that were Champions of Europe. Gary Shaw came into a side with a whole host of top quality, seasoned pros to support him.

Our current crop of young lads have not had such advantages, they've all been thrown in together into a struggling side with some very average senior pros. Writing any of them off now would be incredibly foolish. Gary Gardner will be a top, top player, for example. You have to give youngsters time to develop and grow into senior football. Imagine GG after a couple of seasons growing, developing and gym work: he will be a top, top player - and even then he will only be 21-22 years old.

But thats my whole point. Those players were good enough to hold there own. There were plenty of others who didn't make the grade. Whatver level Little, Shaw, Barry, Walters - were in the team on merit by 20 years of shaw - shaw won euro young player of the year {i think}

you could be right about GG - but players who have made the grade with Villa (in general) have been showing it by the time they are 20 ....Gabby and Barry obvious examples.

Remember these ?

Dean Glover, David Norton, David Mail, Ray Walker, Kevin Poole - in 1986 these were the young lions, who we were told were the best batch of youngsters in the clubs history - they got the club relegated in 1987 - and at best they went on to have have careers with division 2 clubs

What I fail to grasp is that most people are willing to give foreign players half a season or more to adapt to the pace of the league. In quite a few cases foreign players given time has proven to be quite successful after they've adapted. However some people are quite quick at shooting the youngsters down. Surely the step up from the reserves league into premier league is a huge step up, just because they've been trained in England doesn't mean they are used to the pace of the English premier league.

I would at least give them as much time and patient as any foreign player, taking their age in consideration I'll throw in a few extra months.

I'm glad we have our youngsters, if they don't make it or turn out to be average at best, so be it! Yes I properly over rate them, I get excited when I see a flicker of talent that might, just might, turn into something great.

Will I end up being disappointed? More likely then not, but it's worth it!

The youngsters are the only thing that keeping me excited about Aston Villa at the moment. They give me hope. Hope that there will be a bright shining light at the end of a long cold dark tunnel.

What I fail to grasp is that most people are willing to give foreign players half a season or more to adapt to the pace of the league. In quite a few cases foreign players given time has proven to be quite successful after they've adapted. However some people are quite quick at shooting the youngsters down. Surely the step up from the reserves league into premier league is a huge step up, just because they've been trained in England doesn't mean they are used to the pace of the English premier league.

I would at least give them as much time and patient as any foreign player, taking their age in consideration I'll throw in a few extra months.

I'm glad we have our youngsters, if they don't make it or turn out to be average at best, so be it! Yes I properly over rate them, I get excited when I see a flicker of talent that might, just might, turn into something great.

The youngsters are the only thing that keeping me excited about Aston Villa at the moment. They give me hope. Hope that there will be a bright shining light at the end of a long cold dark tunnel.

There always a first time. But as someone else said at 23 years of age - youre as good as your gonna get.

Our best home growns in Recent Years Barry and Gabby - were teenage regulars and in the team on merit. I don't see anything of that calibre in the current crop.

There always a first time. But as someone else said at 23 years of age - youre as good as your gonna get.

Our best home growns in Recent Years Barry and Gabby - were teenage regulars and in the team on merit. I don't see anything of that calibre in the current crop.

Fully aggree - how much time to we want to give them. Gardner/Baker/Carruthers apart theyve all been in and around the first team squad for a few seasons now - especially Clark, Bannan, Fonz, Albrighton and for me, they have not shown anywhere near enough to say they should be regulars in the team - let alone build our club around them !!

Didier Drogba has done OK since he was an uncapped striker in french division 2 at 23

Rubbish !

But thats my whole point. Those players were good enough to hold there own. There were plenty of others who didn't make the grade. Whatver level Little, Shaw, Barry, Walters - were in the team on merit by 20 years of shaw - shaw won euro young player of the year {i think}

you could be right about GG - but players who have made the grade with Villa (in general) have been showing it by the time they are 20 ....Gabby and Barry obvious examples.

Remember these ?

Dean Glover, David Norton, David Mail, Ray Walker, Kevin Poole - in 1986 these were the young lions, who we were told were the best batch of youngsters in the clubs history - they got the club relegated in 1987 - and at best they went on to have have careers with division 2 clubs

I remember them, indeed. The only one I can recall being talked about in real glowing terms was Ray Walker. Kevin Poole had potential too if I recall. I don't think it was the youngsters that got us relegated but rather the very swift break up of the European Cup winning team. They (the youngsters of '87) really were thrown in at the deep end.

What you say is very apt, though, because it only just strikes me how similar the situation now is to '87. There are so many parallels it's untrue!

As far as I am concerned we can only judge these things if we have a manager at the top who knows what he’s doing and will give these guys a platform to build on. Under McLeish so many things are wrong its hard to make a sensible and reasonable view. IMO

As far as I am concerned we can only judge these things if we have a manager at the top who knows what he’s doing and will give these guys a platform to build on. Under McLeish so many things are wrong its hard to make a sensible and reasonable view. IMO

Absolutely spot on. A manager that knows how to blood younger players and give them that extra bit of confidence when making that step up is vital to they young lads.

On a completely off topic note, didn't know where to put this anyone see the Thai animated Ashley Young vid?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/taiwanese-animation-ashley-young-diving-tremendous-154036416.html

Well again I refer back to 1987. relegated with a bunch of promising kids - we then get a top manager in - I don't think any of those kids got a sniff of first team action ever again - they weren't good enough.

As I have said before of the current crop - I see maybe another Liam Ridgewell and Craig Gardner standard players. I don't see a Barry, or Brian Little calibre player in there.

Â