Exciting Youth

smetrov

Many of the kids we have in the squad, through neccesity at the minute, due to the injury list, are not ready. All things being equal, they should be interspersed into the squad with quality and experience beside them. I hope that the Manager and the results don't mean that they lose their way as the likes of Gardner, Clark look to be very useful players.

Congratulations to all our Young Guns yet again for the 4th time in 5 years winning the Southern Reserve League Title this afternoon by beating

Sunderland 2-0 Away from home. Listened to some of the OS commentary and it sounded like we were all over them.

Probably will face Manchester United in the play off against the Northern League title winners as they're 4 points clear of the Northern league.

Congratulations to all our Young Guns yet again for the 4th time in 5 years winning the Southern Reserve League Title this afternoon by beating

Sunderland 2-0 Away from home. Listened to some of the OS commentary and it sounded like we were all over them.

Probably will face Manchester United in the play off against the Northern League title winners as they're 4 points clear of the Northern league.

Heres the point - 4 titles in 5 years - but who has made an impact at first team level ?

Heres the point - 4 titles in 5 years - but who has made an impact at first team level ?

nobody at all is the answer to that

nobody at all is the answer to that

Really I think we all know the answer - its just to painful

Why do people keep trying to write these kids off, have any of them had a prolonged spell in the first team? Apart from now.

Personally I don't they think are anything special. They are in the first team because of injuries and lack of investment in the squad - not because they some dazzling starlet.

I think - At best Herd and Kieran Clark - might be say Craig Gardner \ Liam Ridgewell level. But the view on here that we have a crop of youngsters that are the envy of the premier league is without justification IMO.

lets not forget how highly Delfonso and Albrighton were rated a few months back - I don't see many shouting about them now.

The praise given to players like Clark, Albrighton, Bannan & Delfouneso, has mainly come when they've been in the team and performing well (Albrighton & Clark last season, Bannan's hollywood passes that actually work and Delfouneso's praise from... a certain VTer whose whereabouts are now unknown!)

Though a few of our youngsters might have been overrated, there's no doubt in my mind that many of them could become half-decent Premier League players.

I'm not saying they'll be the next Keane, Giggs, Beckham & Scholes, but I don't see any reason why Herd could not become an Aussie Cattermole, Clark an Irish Collins etc etc

If we can get some of the youngsters to become our backup players, then that's a success imo.

The praise given to players like Clark, Albrighton, Bannan & Delfouneso, has mainly come when they've been in the team and performing well (Albrighton & Clark last season, Bannan's hollywood passes that actually work and Delfouneso's praise from... a certain VTer whose whereabouts are now unknown!)

Though a few of our youngsters might have been overrated, there's no doubt in my mind that many of them could become half-decent Premier League players.

I'm not saying they'll be the next Keane, Giggs, Beckham & Scholes, but I don't see any reason why Herd could not become an Aussie Cattermole, Clark an Irish Collins etc etc

If we can get some of the youngsters to become our backup players, then that's a success imo.

Agreed - but the notion is that we throw them all in, and over time they become premier league stalwarts - not going to happen.

its also an overlooked fact - but the more we pack the team with kids the worse the results get.

I think its great to have young players coming through and to watch their development is interesting.

I have heard fans getting carried away over the years with the Moore Bros etc ..... most are being watched by SAF they moot etc etc.

Reality is.... talent is one thing and application is another.

A winning mentality is a valuable commodity in the vein that Andy Gray had it ....Gray Shaw had it.

We had many players at Villa Park over the years that had it. we had a set up that demanded it.

Until we have players from the reserves/youth exhibiting this commodity, it will be much of what we have had in recent times.....mediocrity.

I'm not trying to be a killjoy just putting perspective on a rose tinted view.

Why do people keep trying to write these kids off, have any of them had a prolonged spell in the first team? Apart from now.

Personally I don't they think are anything special. They are in the first team because of injuries and lack of investment in the squad - not because they some dazzling starlet.

I think - At best Herd and Kieran Clark - might be say Craig Gardner \ Liam Ridgewell level. But the view on here that we have a crop of youngsters that are the envy of the premier league is without justification IMO.

lets not forget how highly Delfonso and Albrighton were rated a few months back - I don't see many shouting about them now.

Can only agree with Smetrov.

Im buzzin off the kids having a chance more than anyone, but lets not kid ourselves and say our academy greats have worked their way into the team.

Our Academy players that have got in arguably are

Gareth Barry - knocked Staunton out the team to partner Ugo / Southgate

Gabby - Made the main striker position his own when we had cash to spend (the end of Moore / Baros)

Graham fenton?? haha Earned a cup final place in 94.

And im sure there are more....

Â