Exciting Youth

smetrov

Albrighton:- Has had one of the best debut seasons a youngster has ever had in the Premiership,

I think this is why some think the youth players get overrated.

From the start of last pre season until the beginning of this year when he almost ceased to be used, he was our best player imo. He was my player of the season even with his lack of games from january on.

He looked a good player for a team who were awlful. That's hardly the same as having one of the best debut seasons the premiership has ever seen.

He also looked completely useless whenever on the pitch during the final 3rd of the season and we as a team improved once he was out the team.

He couldn't get any playing time for the u21 team and we're expecting him to replace senior England players.

His goals and assists ratio was almost idential to Young and Downing. He may not have the defensive capabilities but it was a brilliant achievement for a player in his 'debut' season.

"He couldn't get any playing time for the U21 team." That is a piss poor point, I don't know if you watch U21 football but we have a completley inept manager who has his favourites playing. Despite Albrighton performing every game when he's played for the U21's Pearce persisted with more defensive options such as Rose and Cleverley. What happened? We went out and we created **** all.

He was poor in the final 3rd of the season because of one of the points I made. He was tired. It was his debut season and he would not have been used to the physicality of the league. He played more then most England U21 players, and the only sort of players who bettered him were the likes of Wilshere who is called a phenomenal talent and rightly so.

I'm not overrating him, I've said in past posts he should not be a starter as he's not ready, but he has had a brilliant debut season and should be applauded for it. I'd say that you're actually expecting too much.

We overate our kids way too much. Albrighton's a good prospect and he had a fine first half to last season. He was poor in the second half though. He contributed a few goals and some good assists but his all round play isn't good enough for him to be a starter just yet.

I hope we play with just one winger next season. Playing with two puts too much pressure on the midfield and defence. Hopefully it'll be N'Zogbia with Albrighton making cameo appearances.

Oh and Gareth did that table comparing Albrighton with Young and Downing on minutes played, goals, assists, etc. Albrighton was well ahead.

The problem is that most young players have a great debut - or maybe even the first six games - but it seems to be pure arenlin - the majority can't sustain after that.

People shouldn't get carried away by a youngster who sparkles in his first few games - as this is very much the norm. Ive been watching villa for about 40 years - I can't actually think of many young players who had a stinker on there debut - but plenty who dazzled then faded into nothing.

I think Albrighton is a very good player and can look great. At the minute, however, he is a bit of a one trick pony - run at FB, beat him for pace and get a cross in from the outside. This is great if he plays a full back he can do that to BUT not if he can't e.g. the home game against Wolves where Elokobi had him in his pocket because he is strong and fast. This was particularly highlighted when Downing switched with him and went up against Elokobi and tore him a new a'hole. He needs to recognise this and develop his game so he has variation i.e. comes inside occasionally or just creates a yard and gets his crossed in from deeper (like Becks). He has great potential though and I am sure he will develop, I just wish he wasn't having to do this as the only option!

The one I'm intrigued about now is Daniel Johnson. He burst onto the scene last season not only with the youths but also as an almost ever present in the reserves (having never played there before). You would assume his progress would arrest slightly and he might spend a season or 2 in the reserves yet last night he appeared for the first team having debuted on the first team bench towards the end of last season. At the rate this lad is going through the ranks he'll be team captain by December :P He is certainly coming up on the rails and the sky's the limit. I now think we might even see him debut this season albeit in a minor role but it would be remarkable nonetheless.

Never heard about this Johnson before but that progress gives me hope. Maybe that's why AML ain't that keen on bringing two new wingers in. ;)

I agree that we shouldn't rely that much on our younger players, but blood them in one or two from the start in a fair few games is probably a good way to go. And thanks to the last season I think players like Albrighton and Clarke, and perhaps Bannan, might be ready to take the next step and start even more games than they did last season. They've gained some experience this year. And now I think it's time for players like Baker, Gardner and maybe this Johnson guy to get some more experience too. Maybe some starts but definitely some last 20 minutes appearances to learn.

And I think this season is kind of make or breake for young mr. Delfouneso. Even if he's only 20.

The one I'm intrigued about now is Daniel Johnson. He burst onto the scene last season not only with the youths but also as an almost ever present in the reserves (having never played there before). You would assume his progress would arrest slightly and he might spend a season or 2 in the reserves yet last night he appeared for the first team having debuted on the first team bench towards the end of last season. At the rate this lad is going through the ranks he'll be team captain by December :P He is certainly coming up on the rails and the sky's the limit. I now think we might even see him debut this season albeit in a minor role but it would be remarkable nonetheless.

Saw that he was fairly highly rated last year and seen clips of him but not that much. What sort of player is he and what positions can he play?

I'm not sure what type of mid but he is a left-footed central midfielder. If he happens to be a defensive tackler then he might benefit from a lack of depth above him this season. The OS describes him as a midfield 'dynamo' who can 'chip in with goals' (scored 12 in all comps last season). He is a 'driving force' and a 'major goal threat with his surging runs from the central ground'. That he's a captain bodes well. Means he's not afraid to take the bull by the horns and probably means he's gobby on the pitch. It does sound from the OS like he's not in the NRC mould which means he'll have to join the queue behind most of our other senior midfielders.

I tell you one thing, I'm getting pretty sick of hearing guys who have never been to an academy or reserves match telling us how average or shit our youngsters are.

I tell you one thing, I'm getting pretty sick of hearing guys who have never been to an academy or reserves match telling us how average or shit our youngsters are.
+1

If I lived in Birmingham, I would attend every reserve or academy match. But my opinion is based only on all (extended) highlights and few full matches with live TV coverage of academy or reserve and I can claim that we have an exciting set of youth players. If there is one weakness, it will be our defense as I am not sure we have excellent youth in this area.

Totally agree. It's almost as annoying as hearing that a few of them are going to be the next Ethan Moore, when they can't all be that good.

Â