A commonly-held Villan's view on McLeish

BOF

Neatly worded but pointless post as all it does is criticize what has happened without making any effort to suggest what should have happened. Fact is there were few, if any, choices and like it or not, McLeish was the best option we had.

The notion that every manager in the league would want to come here because we are a huge attractive force is blinkered nonsense as proven by the handful of managers who we dropped hints for but who immediately hid under the kitchen table from us.

MON did a lot of damage to this club by the timing and manner of his departure, Houllier was the wrong appointment to pick up the pieces and what we need now is a guy who can unite the undoubted talent that we have and start to put the team back into the talented roster we have.

I don't know that McLeish is the right guy to do that but I do know that those who are beating their chests have no basis for condeming him either. What he did elsewhere at a club that has no parallels with what we have here is obviously irrelevant and the fact he was a "nose" for a few years is even more irrelevant.

Keep your doubts by all means but give the guy a chance because I'll gaurantee he will give 110% to make things happen here and, at the moment, that demands respect and tolerance in my books.

The best post I have read on the subject all day.

The words of the opening post are compelling ... They demand attention, particularly as those of us who have been through many smelly scenarios before have learnt that our initial feelings are not that far wrong.

However, please let me say this ... Randy Lerner did a lot of right things when he came in to the club. Some of those things needed to be done anyway, others were done from a business perspective. For whatever reason, they were improvements.

My take on the current situation is that Randy is having to cut his cloth based on how things are in the PL. He cannot (now) financially compete with the top 4 or 5 for starters.

The fact that McLeish beat Villa in the FL Cup last season on their way to winning the trophy says something ... And it's my feeling that in a bigger environment like VP, McLeish may well be able to do bigger things. After all, if he can motivate Small Heath to win a trophy he's almost achieved a miracle!

Cup trophy winning may well be what Villa need to turn to to get into Europe, as well as top-half security. It may well be that McLeish can achieve that to provide consistency and a springboard for the target that Randy may well have had before - the top-4.

All that remains to be seen - but at least give the man till Christmas to see how it begins to shape up!

Let's get behind the team ... that is what Villa supporters do.

Up the Villa!

I think a lot of people are missing the point.

I don't dislike McLeish. I don't think he is a great manager and believe we could have got better. This has absolutely FA to do with his time at Blues. If Jose Mourinho had been their manager and led them to a league title and we had then nicked him off them do the media think we would be complaining? This is about the fact that he would appear to be nothing special and, therefore, given his links with Blues definitely not worth chasing. But I can't blame him for what has happened. He has taken our rivals down - love him for that - and, in the same breath, got himself a great contract with a significantly better club. Brilliant effort.

Where my disappointment really lies is with our owner/board. They have completely disrespected the vast majority of the fan base in making this decision and demonstrated their complete lack of understanding for the European football fan and game. RL will not have my support going forward and I hope the rumours/speculation of him looking to move on (and hopefully taking Fatty Faulkner and the General of rhetoric along with him) as soon as possible and making way for someone that cares about the club and its fans. In the meantime I would love to renew my ST in protest but know that this will hurt the club that I love and would not want to do this. However, I think many will not take such a view and will stay away.

The only ex-player that seems to be speaking any sense is Cascarino. I have to say, its the first time I have bought into anything he has to say. I am very disappointed in Mortimer as well as his interviews today also disrespect the fans, a large number of whom would have supported him so well all those years ago. Just one example of how Randy's poor judgement is tearing our club apart.

In contrast, Barry'sBoots, Alex Ferguson seems to think highly of McLeish... Is Sir Alex understanding of European football? I would think so.

No, McLeish would not be my choice either, but perhaps RL has taken advive from Sir Alex?

In contrast, Barry'sBoots, Alex Ferguson seems to think highly of McLeish... Is Sir Alex understanding of European football? I would think so.

No, McLeish would not be my choice either, but perhaps RL has taken advive from Sir Alex?

Ferguson likes McLeish because he's from Govan (or Barrhead will do)

Ferguson is probably thinking" get in there Alex - 6 points for me next year!"

And even Ferguson doesn't always get it right - Veron, Djemba x 2, Obertan, Bebe and there are others.

Â