The staying in OT as the VT forum is soul destroying thread

dAVe80

Years ago I came to VT (with PB after he left 'From the Terraces') for my Villa news fix. Over time one realises who is worth listening to and who isn't and nowadays you can filter out the miserable bastards by using twitter/google+ etc.

I now come to VT solely for the off tropics because I like most of the people here. And I like helping people out in the tech thread. Which reminds me, how are you getting on with your phone, Mike?

Ooh I don't like the manager.

Ooh I don't like the board.

Ooh we haven't got rid of the players I don't like.

Ooh, they have, actually I liked them, they must be crazy.

Ooh they haven't signed any players.

Ooh they have, they've signed the wrong ones.

Ooh they won't spend any money.

Ooh they're spending money, what a waste.

Ooh they're ruining my life.

Ooh everything's going to go wrong.

Ooh at least I really really HOPE it does.

Ooh I hate being a Villa fan.

Ooh I love being a a miserable word removed.

:clap:

I think a bit o' cyberbullying is the answer. And National Service, possibly.

There are certain posters over there who are pure ban-bait. I won't name names...

I apologize in advance, Mike, if you take umbrage at this but isn't that, in itself, rather out of order?

The point about this whole messageboard (and surely the point about the whole 'post on poster' thingy) is to discuss topics.

Now, if one has an issue with something that someone says then 'naming names' isn't a problem (or shouldn't be) because it is about the comments they post on (or perhaps off) a topic.

To speak about 'certain posters' and to allude to individuals but not name them is posting about other posters, whether or not one names them.

There are certain posters over there who are pure ban-bait. I won't name names...

I apologize in advance, Mike, if you take umbrage at this but isn't that, in itself, rather out of order?

The point about this whole messageboard (and surely the point about the whole 'post on poster' thingy) is to discuss topics.

Now, if one has an issue with something that someone says then 'naming names' isn't a problem (or shouldn't be) because it is about the comments they post on (or perhaps off) a topic.

To speak about 'certain posters' and to allude to individuals but not name them is posting about other posters, whether or not one names them.

I don't see why we shouldn't be able to shame the people who spout relentless, depressing nonsense. Discussion is one thing, but posting nothing but wu's is another, and there are several people who seem to relish being on the windup.

I don't see why we shouldn't be able to shame the people who spout relentless, depressing nonsense. Discussion is one thing, but posting nothing but wu's is another, and there are several people who seem to relish being on the windup.

In which case, if you have a problem with what someone has posted, why don't you quote what they have posted, say what the problem is and give a reason (or more) why you've got a problem with what they've posted?

How can one 'shame' the anonymous?

Because it's that borderline area: they aren't being offensive as such, they are just exercising their right to express an opinion. It's just that the opinion is so repetitive and depressing. Essentially, "I hate the board, I hate the manager, and whatever happens I will always put a negative spin on it".

My gut reaction is: "You are an immature and irritating clearing in the woods, mate". But anyone who says that, and names the poster, it's P-on-P, and not allowed (which is fair enough). Ergo, I should just keep out of those threads. Enough people have tried reasonable arguments with them and it's a waste of time.

I now come to VT solely for the off tropics because I like most of the people here. And I like helping people out in the tech thread. Which reminds me, how are you getting on with your phone, Mike?
I just use it like my old one - for very occasional phone calls and very occasional texts. The only advantage is the querty keyboard TBH.

It dawned on me that I have no need for any of the other toys, and I don't want to spend any money that I don't have to.

In other words - it's wasted on me.

Because it's that borderline area: they aren't being offensive as such, they are just exercising their right to express an opinion. It's just that the opinion is so repetitive and depressing. Essentially, "I hate the board, I hate the manager, and whatever happens I will always put a negative spin on it".

My gut reaction is: "You are an immature and irritating clearing in the woods, mate". But anyone who says that, and names the poster, it's P-on-P, and not allowed (which is fair enough). Ergo, I should just keep out of those threads. Enough people have tried reasonable arguments with them and it's a waste of time.

So, essentially, it's a case of you disagreeing with them rather than them being wind up merchants or more?

Of course, if you say, "You are an immature so and so..." then you're talking about the person rather than the repetitive, depressing opinion that you believe they are expressing.

I'm sorry but I go back to the idea that if you have an issue with what someone posts then quote them and say so. Give your reasons, too.

The more we all do that on this messageboard, the less it becomes (or is) personal and the more it becomes about the opinions we hold.

So, essentially, it's a case of you disagreeing with them rather than them being wind up merchants or more?

Of course, if you say, "You are an immature so and so..." then you're talking about the person rather than the repetitive, depressing opinion that you believe they are expressing.

I'm sorry but I go back to the idea that if you have an issue with what someone posts then quote them and say so. Give your reasons, too.

The more we all do that on this messageboard, the less it becomes (or is) personal and the more it becomes about the opinions we hold.

I'm afraid, SC, that MJM is right, and you're living in a dream world where everyone can be reasoned with. IMO :)

I agree with both of you.

There are some posters who just want to repeat the same old line over and over, and never seem able to engage with anything anyone else says. It's quite in order to say that such posts are irritating and immature, as far as I can see. But also a bit pointless.

Yes, we should say why we disagree with posts. But again, it's only worth doing so if you think the poster is likely to discuss this, rather than just restate what they said before, but this time in bold or caps.

I agree with both of you.

There are some posters who just want to repeat the same old line over and over, and never seem able to engage with anything anyone else says. It's quite in order to say that such posts are irritating and immature, as far as I can see. But also a bit pointless.

Yes, we should say why we disagree with posts. But again, it's only worth doing so if you think the poster is likely to discuss this, rather than just restate what they said before, but this time in bold or caps.

Actually, Peter, I think you've missed the board with that.

The point is not whether the poster with the other point of view is likely to discuss something or whether they wish to repeat the same line over and over again (something that we are all wont to do when we believe it is the right line) and so on.

Yes, it is quite in order to point out that you find a post irritating or whatever - what you are doing is responding to the post - the point of the 'post on poster' guidance is, surely, to keep the conversation about the content of the posts rather than the bright spark (that's an attempt at self-deprecating irony before anyone gets the hump) that presses the submit button,

I completely agree with this.

It's within their rights according to the board rules, but there are people who will over analyse anything and make it negative.

That's their opinion, and they have every right to have an overly negative opinion.

But it winds me up and a lot of other people up that people are so negative.

I'm afraid, SC, that MJM is right, and you're living in a dream world where everyone can be reasoned with.

I think that's a load of old bollocks, CF. :winkold: :P

See!?, See?! 8)

I believe my point stands (even after your selective quoting). :D

You know who you believe is talking tosh, mate, and so do I.

It's a bit of tosh reallly as last season we had people who wanted to put a positive spin on anything they could find. But now we're going back into VT topic area. Lock thread please, silly in the first place. It's all a facebook thing - that forum is lame, so I'm moving next door. We didn't want to know. Just contribute something.

• 2 weeks later...

So I thought the VT forum had improved since the season started, then I looked in the General's thread. Never have I seen such cretinous point scoring on this site before, it is utterly embarrassing to see Villa fans acting as such. Many of the posters are ridiculing the Posting For Effect guidelines on the site and have been for some time, there's one offender you manages to spout his drivel every two pages. Does anyone else find it as cringe worthy?