Jump to content

What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?


Dr_Alimantado
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

Heard this after listen to the cover of Highway to hell he did with Springsteen and Vedder.  Guy's a genius. 

 

Love him in Audioslave, fantastic if short-lived band.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, rjw63 said:

I have a huge collection of rock and metal, but can't stand Maiden and their "galloping" style of music.

Preferred them in the early days with DiAnno

I wouldn’t say I dislike them, but I’m not a big fan even though I class myself as a big rock fan.  They bore me after a few songs .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
On 25/08/2021 at 15:01, Seat68 said:

@mjmooney I listened to the new Sturgill Simpson album, the ballad of dood and Juanita, a few times yesterday and enjoyed it immensely. It's much closer to Tom Russell's, the rose of roscrae than any of Simpsons other work. You may not feel it as you are more aware of Tom Russell's work than I am, but definitely recommend giving it a blast. 

Yeah, I've heard it, it's good. Tom often namechecks Sturgill Simpson on gigs. I find SS's style is closer to Waylon Jennings (which is no bad thing, obvs). 

EDIT: Downside is that, like most concept/story albums, it's fun the first time, but doesn't really bear repeated listens. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

Today is apparently We Love Records Stores Day and there are special releases for it. Sounds rather familiar I think. This is one of them. A speculative purchase but based on the people involved

Immersion are Colin Newman from Wire and Malka Spiegel from Minimal Compact. This is a double 10" album with three tracks per side. Each side has a different collaborator

Side 1 - Tarwater

Side 2 - Laetitia Sadier (Stereolab)

Side 3 - Ulrich Schnauss

Side 4 - Scanner

Its experimental electronic downtempo post-rock I guess made up of bits of what you'd expect from each of the protagonists, it is very lovely but it does also seem to work as an album and has some cohesion across all the tracks and doesn't come across disjointed at all

Immersion - Nanocluster Volume 1

imm-230x230_230x.jpg?v=1629537063

(I'm hoping some other nerd will come along and stick it on Discogs this weekend, otherwise I'll have to)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


13 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm in the mood for laid back stuff right now so...

King Cresote & Jon Hopkins - DIamond Mine

Great album from 2011.

R-2883289-1314431108.jpeg.jpg

I own and love Disclaimer. I would hate to have found King Creosote now and decide to buy his back catalogue. Ridiculous amount of albums, that are also difficult to get hold of. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I own and love Disclaimer. I would hate to have found King Creosote now and decide to buy his back catalogue. Ridiculous amount of albums, that are also difficult to get hold of. 

I think he's great but right now, this is the only one I own, there are a couple of others I'd like

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think he's great but right now, this is the only one I own, there are a couple of others I'd like

Similar position. I own one album but would love a lot more of them. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I own and love Disclaimer. I would hate to have found King Creosote now and decide to buy his back catalogue. Ridiculous amount of albums, that are also difficult to get hold of. 

Are they?  I’ve got quite a few, over the years (CDs). I don’t think he’s released anything for a while has he?  Must be due a new album soon, hopefully.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Are they?  I’ve got quite a few, over the years (CDs). I don’t think he’s released anything for a while has he?  Must be due a new album soon, hopefully.

According to Discogs, 57 albums and he's released 3 this year

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
Just now, bickster said:

According to Discogs, 57 albums and he's released 3 this year

Epic fail on my part 😊  I’m now off to see how many I’ve got. If it’s 10% of them that’ll do. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Moderator

Mogwai - Les Revenants

Soundtrack the series of the same name in its native France. The Returned when it was shown on CH4

It's soundtrack work so doesn't reach the highs and lows in power of Mogwais own studio work but I find this album very relaxing.

R-4312565-1361453475-5607.jpeg.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
1 hour ago, bickster said:

Mogwai - Les Revenants

Soundtrack the series of the same name in its native France. The Returned when it was shown on CH4

It's soundtrack work so doesn't reach the highs and lows in power of Mogwais own studio work but I find this album very relaxing.

R-4312565-1361453475-5607.jpeg.jpg

I think this is the only thing I've ever heard by Mogwai (when I watched the TV series). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 04/09/2021 at 18:13, bickster said:

I'm in the mood for laid back stuff right now so...

King Cresote & Jon Hopkins - DIamond Mine

Great album from 2011.

R-2883289-1314431108.jpeg.jpg

Stunning album. One of my favourite albums to fall asleep to.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
On 04/09/2021 at 18:13, bickster said:

King Cresote & Jon Hopkins - DIamond Mine

Your mention of that set me off looking for my Kenny Anderson albums, including that one. Turned the place upside down looking for it.

Turns out I bought it as a download! 10 years ago. Doh!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â