What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Is that the new one or is that 4?

The new one is 4, which I missed out on because I stupidly presumed there wouldn’t be much demand for a fourth release in a series of German electronica, so didn’t reserve a copy.

• Haha 1

On 01/02/2021 at 15:46, mjmooney said:

Are we talking CD or vinyl here? I have Landlocked on CD. 

I said I hadn't purchased a CD in 12 years...then I remembered the Beach Boys "1967 Sunshine Tomorrow" from 2017. Lots of unreleased stuff and no vinyl version so had to get it.

And just now ordered a CD from Discogs, West Coast All Stars, acapella covers of well known tracks. They sound amazing but once again no vinyl release. So I spent £5.50 on the CD.

On 10/02/2021 at 20:39, bickster said:

Is that the new one or is that 4?

...which caused me to check, and there had been a re run on 4...

spacer.png

another triple album of German clicks and beeps and wailing, the other half is absolutely thrilled.

For the completists among you, I’m happy to report that I now have 1 on CD, 3 and 4 on vinyl, and probably won’t bother with 2.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

For the completists among you, I’m happy to report that I now have 1 on CD, 3 and 4 on vinyl, and probably won’t bother with 2.

That’s just cruel

Why wouldn’t you bother with getting 2 when you have the other 3?! Even if it was utter tripe the collection needs to be complete!

Edit: so just checked out how much 2 is on discogs; yeah I think your good for not getting it! £60 in UK looks to be the cheapest...

Edited by cyrusr

4 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

That’s just cruel

Why wouldn’t you bother with getting 2 when you have the other 3?! Even if it was utter tripe the collection needs to be complete!

Even Spotify doesn't do 2, someones made a playlist of it from the original recordings but the record itself isn't there

Which reminds me, I don't have Pay It All Back Volume 6. I must rectify this at some point

6 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

That’s just cruel

I might bother with 2 eventually, maybe, I mean I’m not against it for any reason but 2 has been issued as two double albums. So it’s £40 all in.  But £40 would buy lots of other stuff and I’ve got a fair bit of German Electronica now!

I certainly wouldn’t buy it just to complete a set. Not in to that at all, I don’t even have every Jam album, never bought Setting Sons, not in 40 years of knowing it was the only one I didn’t have.  I’d rather try something else random on the chance I’ll find some new diversion.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I might bother with 2 eventually, maybe, I mean I’m not against it for any reason but 2 has been issued as two double albums. So it’s £40 all in.  But £40 would buy lots of other stuff and I’ve got a fair bit of German Electronica now!

I certainly wouldn’t buy it just to complete a set. Not in to that at all, I don’t even have every Jam album, never bought Setting Sons, not in 40 years of knowing it was the only one I didn’t have.  I’d rather try something else random on the chance I’ll find some new diversion.

Yeah I have bought a fair bit of rubbish over the years for completeness sake; but I think it depends on what your forking out on it. Usually those ones that aren’t great usually aren’t very expensive.

To be fair though, happening upon something random was always the best part of going to record shop. Discogs does give that satisfaction pretty well but nothing quite beats spending an afternoon flicking through music to find that oddity or new band to like.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

but nothing quite beats spending an afternoon flicking through music to find that oddity or new band to like

I'm planning to gather together a big wedge of cash when this is all over and I'm going to take a week off work and go on a week long record shopping tour of the north west. I shall go to Manchester and Preston and lots of other places. I might even train it down to Brum then go to London for the weekend to visit the daughter (whenever she moves back there)

That will be my holiday this year being as foreign travel is likely to be out

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Thats just odd though because its arguably their best (All Mod Cons and Sound Affects, would be the others in the toss up)

Well, with all due respect, In The City is the runaway best album.

Art School

Slow Down

Away From The Numbers

Sounds From The Street

Non-Stop Dancing

Takin’ My Love

Just an absolute barn stormer of an album. 

Then of course there is The Gift. Now you remove the 4 minutes that make up The Circus and Planners Dream Goes Wrong and that album is also superb. Don’t get me wrong, Mod Cons and Sound Affects are great albums. Settings Sons? That’s got Thick As Thieves and Saturday’s Kids, but in my opinion, a fair bit of filler.

• Shocked 1

In the City - Fun youthful exuberance

This Is the Modern World - meh, too soon after ITC

All Mod Cans - Maturity Breakthrough

Setting Sons - The Peak, genuinely love every single track on it

Sound Affect - Brilliant but Milking It

The Gift - Bits and pieces album, hints of the future (meh), some good stuff some bad. Mind elsewhere

• Like 1

Â