What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

5 hours ago, osmark86 said:

Arca is a pretty cool producer, but never really clicked completely with me. I definitely respect her as a producer/artist but it's just not 100% clicking strangely enough. Her self-titled 2017 release and Mutant were pretty cool though so might give this a spin to see if it clicks better now.

It's ok. Quite choppity. My other half hates it so I've not really had a chance to let it bed in :) 

Bought it because I was actually in a shop I'd quite like to see survive the pestilence. I'd heard 'Calor' and liked the vocal.

One of the tracks is Bjork.

I think this must have been part of a selection of records I rescued from as mate before he moved abroad. I can't ever remember playing it, in fact I'm half convinced this is the first time its ever been played (it's a promo) since 1982

The Angelic Upstarts - Still from the heart

Oh sweet imaginary son of a sky fairy its absolutely risible, it is probably the worst thing I've heard this year. Mensi on the rear cover is wearing a red beret a la Cpt Sensible, the second track is a reggae tinged affair called... Flames of Brixton. Mensi seems to want to sound like Andy Partridge. Its like they took bits of what the original punk bands did to stay relevant and came up with this absolute horseshit. I very much doubt I'll make it through to side 2 track 3... Dark Knights of the '80s

Oh my god its so bad it's like an unintentional Spinal Tap of Punk.

The bass player is so basic, I think even I, who has never even picked up a bass could manage it, yet its so high in the mix.

Comedy Gold

EDIT.... its heading for Gerry Raffety territory at the end of side 1

R-1750283-1274511756.jpeg.jpg

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think this must have been part of a selection of records I rescued from as mate before he moved abroad. I can't ever remember playing it, in fact I'm half convinced this is the first time its ever been played (it's a promo) since 1982

The Angelic Upstarts - Still from the heart

Oh sweet imaginary son of a sky fairy its absolutely risible, it is probably the worst thing I've heard this year. Mensi on the rear cover is wearing a red beret a la Cpt Sensible, the second track is a reggae tinged affair called... Flames of Brixton. Mensi seems to want to sound like Andy Partridge. Its like they took bits of what the original punk bands did to stay relevant and came up with this absolute horseshit. I very much doubt I'll make it through to side 2 track 3... Dark Knights of the '80s

Oh my god its so bad it's like an unintentional Spinal Tap of Punk.

The bass player is so basic, I think even I, who has never even picked up a bass could manage it, yet its so high in the mix.

Comedy Gold

R-1750283-1274511756.jpeg.jpg

When I was young I was aware of and liked the angelic upstarts and even today I can listen to them and enjoy them. 
That said, a boss of mine played me this horse shit once and I thought it was a comedy record. I had no clue to was the angelic upstarts. Musically and lyrically one of the worst things ever recorded.

• Haha 1

R-3717852-1411043148-7327.jpeg.jpgR-2264744-1273199644.jpeg.jpg

The Cure's second and third albums back to back. Seventeen Seconds and Faith

You'll get told by different people what Post-Rock is and where it started. Well for me, the embryo is in these two albums.

Both of my copies are first impressions and both in very good condition still, not a pop or a crackle.  40 years old (39 in the case of Faith)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Guessing that's a nod to this guy?

...title track “Szabodelico” builds on a solid foundation laid down by the rhythm section of Kahr and Skott, while Munk gives the song some almost gypsy/jazz vibes tipping a hat to the late jazz guitarist Gábor Szabó. Szabó is an artist whose spirit permeates the entirety of Szabodelico(see “Gabor’s Path”.) Munk also locks into some John Abercrombie grooves as well on this excellent track. 

It’s odd that the abbreviated version of the fluff / blurb that describes the album mentions Can and Popular Vuh. It’s only when you look for the long version that Szabó gets a nod. Which is odd, when the album title is Szabodelico. What’s interesting (to me, anyway), is that you can hear that in their earlier heavier stuff, too. So it’s not a recent thing they’ve latched on to.

I do like everything I’ve heard from Jonas Munk.

Plus I’ve now got Szabó to seek out.

Side note: if you e-mail the record label to mention the download isn’t working, you get in to a lovely e-mail chat with the drummer, Jakob Scott, who is also the I.T. Guy!

• Like 1

Â