What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

34 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Other than an old laptop with a broken screen, we are currently completely sans CD player in the house.

The last of the CD players wasn’t great, but better than nothing. But it was recently sabotaged by the other half. It was close to a plant and during some watering the water went down the leaf of the plant and in to the CD player.

It continued pouring in to the CD player, with the exclamation ‘oh no, look what’s happening!’ But she didn’t actually stop pouring the water.

We shall buy something soon I’m sure. We nearly got there a couple of months ago and bought a little unit for the kitchen, but then dug out the CD player which is now up the garage, dripping.

I wanted to hear a track thats not online, 90s scottish landfill indie band The Supernaturals with a bside. My CD player is in storage, I spent 20 minutes trying to find something to play it on. An xbox in the end. 

• Like 1

It's weird, I had thought most people had given up on CDs and were either pushing onto stream/digital or going properly retro with vinyl. I have to say my preference for mass purchase of music has always been CDs. Whilst some stuff you have to obtain via digital or vinyl, I generally save buying vinyl for something that I particularly like or for my favourite band. So yeah, pretty cool to see others still pushing the CDs still. 

Last week I received an order I did for Metal Blade for 23 CDs and 2 vinyls as they had a ton reduced (£5/6 a CD) which helpfully has pretty much filled up some gaps in back catalogues for Cannibal Corpse and Mercyful Fate amongst others. I will happily be going through this lot this week whilst working.

Edited by cyrusr
  • Like 1

I think I posted this in Feb after a massive binge in Rough Trade. But its one of the great non reggae based Dub Albums

Massive Attack v The Mad Professor Part II

The Mad Professor reworks the Massive Attack album Mezzanine (and tunes from that era)

The opener is a reworking of Superpredators (not on Mezzanine) from the soundtrack of the film The Jackal. This in itself is a reworking of Metal Postcard by Siouxsie and the Banshees but its just such a great track

R-14153302-1568826319-1774.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

Slowly working my way through the remaining unsorted albums whilst cataloguing the the collection.

I've had the empty cover to this album in a pile destined for the tip, Whenever it reopens... If it wasn't for lockdown it would have gone

I go to grab an album to put on, I choose Ocean Rain by the Bunnymen, in the unsorted pile because I have (or thought I did) 2 copies (and it on CD multiple times)

The record in the sleeve wasn't Ocean Rain it was Jah Shaka - My Prayer, this has never been repressed since 1989 and never released on CD and given the current high price for original reggae / dub records is fetching in the region of £35 upwards

This find has truly made my day, the cover has been staring at me for months and always followed by fellings of regret that it was gone.

R-1694285-1472226852-3305.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Slowly working my way through the remaining unsorted albums whilst cataloguing the the collection.

I've had the empty cover to this album in a pile destined for the tip, Whenever it reopens... If it wasn't for lockdown it would have gone

I go to grab an album to put on, I choose Ocean Rain by the Bunnymen, in the unsorted pile because I have (or thought I did) 2 copies (and it on CD multiple times)

The record in the sleeve wasn't Ocean Rain it was Jah Shaka - My Prayer, this has never been repressed since 1989 and never released on CD and given the current high price for original reggae / dub records is fetching in the region of £35 upwards

This find has truly made my day, the cover has been staring at me for months and always followed by fellings of regret that it was gone.

R-1694285-1472226852-3305.jpeg.jpg

That’s ticking a lot of boxes.

I’m currently fixated on Ethiopian iconography and Emperor Haile Selassie is featuring heavily on my Christmas wish list...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

That’s ticking a lot of boxes.

I’m currently fixated on Ethiopian iconography and Emperor Haile Selassie is featuring heavily on my Christmas wish list...

Not sure it's a Chris record tbh. As much as its UK soundsystem thing, Shaka always stuck with the roots side of things more than the Dub or Dancehall styles, certainly arond the time this was made. But hey what do I know you might like it

• Like 1

Yeah, having had a quick listen, it’s just about on my spectrum of likes.

I could see me definitely buying it as a lucky dip unknown, getting it home, and playing it the once.

It has the appearance of something you find in Sounds of the Universe for £9.99 and it’s 50/50 could be brilliant or dreadful.

• Like 1

I think this is one of a number of records I aquired when a friend moved to Thailand

They were always a bit second division for me, The eponymously titled debut from Generation X.

Playing it out of curiosity more than anything

R-808424-1527599557-2746.jpeg.jpg

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think this is one of a number of records I aquired when a friend moved to Thailand

They were always a bit second division for me, The eponymously titled debut from Generation X.

Playing it out of curiosity more than anything

R-808424-1527599557-2746.jpeg.jpg

Debuts tend to be better than later releases, so there is that. Apropos of nothing I own the thoroughly disappointing Positive Touch by The Undertones. 

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Debuts tend to be better than later releases, so there is that. Apropos of nothing I own the thoroughly disappointing Positive Touch by The Undertones. 

Could be worse, you could own The Sin of Pride too! Their EMI output is shite but the first two albums are great

Gen X lasted side one, a very flat album, boring more than anything, inoffensive and boring. Is that possibly the worst thing you can say about a "punk" band?

Next up this

Bad Brains a band who flitted between Reggae and what was known at the time as Hardcore. I bought this out of curiosity. Not sure I've played it more than once as I think I made the mistake of buying a hardcore album when it was the reggae side of the band I was more interested in.

Bad Brains - Quickness from 1989

R-417798-1110714393.jpg.jpg

• Like 1

Â